Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I thought about going for the photodegradable angle, BUT I decided against it bc when polymers photodegrade they break down into waxy residue and then turn into H2O and CO2 and that isn't really dissolving is it? Also I think photodegrading takes a while, longer than hydrolysis + dissolving would anyway
    Maybe I'm wrong tho
    Plus dissolvable stitches are used inside the body, as well as on the surface, where there isn't any light

ReputationRep:
    so what was answer thats worth 3 marks??
    I think that for three marks you would say;
    PLA is a condensation polymer and hydrolyses in the presence of water
    Water is added into the ester functional group, splitting it into a c.acid and an alcohol
    The monomer unit, lactic acid, can form hydrogen bonds with water and hence dissolves

I think I most likely got 2/3 cos I didn't talk about H bonds just said LA is water soluble

For the fats question, would the answer be that the one with two double bonds have a higher probability of forming transfats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    For the PLA question I wrote about how it can be hydrolysed in the body and then hydrogen bond with water molecules because of the polar cooh and oh group on lactic acid. I completely forgot about it being photodegradable too. Oh god..
    Last I checked there's not a lot of light inside your body...

ReputationRep:
    Can one of the Admins create a voting radio buttons things so we can all vote on what the A grade boundary will be please??

ReputationRep:
    For the percentage yield question I got something like 7.26 g

Omds I feel like I'm the only one who failed this paper

It was easy but I made so many silly mistakes I'm so upset now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazmin123)
    why?
    I got nh3+ too. It's acid hydrolysis.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't put photodegradable. I thought about it but photodegradation didn't seem to mesh with the dissolving.

I said that the ester linkages were hydrolysed and the lactic acid dissolved in water due to OH and COOH groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Attachment 549879

I got this for the last question. Compound J I think. Anybody else get this?
    YES!

ReputationRep:
    2 points at the chromatogram: I write 2 of 3 amino acids have same functional groups, similar adsorption ability, similar distance travel, they will overlap. stitches: I have only written that PLA can undergo hydrolysis to form lactic acid. PLA is solid in rtp because of its long branch and lactic acid is a liquid. NMR of amine: splitting is doublet, quartet of triplets, doublet. Gonna be all wrong I guess......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahil_)
    Was there 3 chiral carbons for tripeptide, 2 on the middle carbon of the amino acids apart from glycine and 1 on the R group for the aminoacid with the long r group?
    yes, there were 3 chiral carbons for the tripeptide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Attachment 549879

I got this for the last question. Compound J I think. Anybody else get this?
    Yeah thats what i got too, have 9 in the proton environment of a singlet so had to be this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazmin123)
    why?
    As they specifically specified HCL, you had to write NH3 Cl or NH3+ Cl-...

I knew a lot of people would miss that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izaa29)
    For the percentage yield question I got something like 7.26 g

Omds I feel like I'm the only one who failed this paper

It was easy but I made so many silly mistakes I'm so upset now

I got that aswell

ReputationRep:
    Wait you guys... was there a benzene question comparing reactivities? There's one every year but i don't remember there being one this year? UM

ReputationRep:
    well there we go then - seems like a name check on hydrogen bonding is needed for 3/3, 1 down already for me lol
    gotdamn H bonds :'((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GillyTheGhillie)
    Last I checked there's not a lot of light inside your body...
    Not but it was for stitches. And your skin is exposed to uv from sunlight so...idk. I didn't put it down so I hope the answer isn't that it's photodegradable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    I got nh3+ too. It's acid hydrolysis.
    yeah exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Was compound J (CH3)3C=oCH3

ReputationRep:
    Grade Boundary predictions?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.