Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just read a rather brilliant article in response to Obama staying we should stay in the EU, it simply quoted the first 4 paragraphs of the declaration of independence and then wrote underneath "this is the reason we are leaving"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I must say i like actually quite like Katie Hopkins

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I must say i like actually quite like Katie Hopkins

Are any of us surprised by this statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You shouldn't be

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes...'quite like' as opposed to 'completely and utterly love, am a devoted follower and think she is bae'.

ReputationRep:
    There is a reason I only did it once, but canvassing, either in person or on the telephone, isn't really canvassing anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It can be, depending on the person at the door and the person canvassing, as james said, kind of

(Original post by Lime-man)
    I do it properly, door to door, come in for a chat, have a cuppa tea. Especially with the older people, much more old fashioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's actually against party rules in labour to go into people's houses, but more or less this is what I do when door to door canvassing
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    It can be, depending on the person at the door and the person canvassing, as james said, kind of

I think it's actually against party rules in labour to go into people's houses, but more or less this is what I do when door to door canvassing
    Who's gonna know though... tbh, if I were someone who liked canvassers, I'd rather them come in, chill for a bit with a cuppa tea or pint of beer, nibble on some nibbles... rather than just stand in the doorway for however long...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Who's gonna know though... tbh, if I were someone who liked canvassers, I'd rather them come in, chill for a bit with a cuppa tea or pint of beer, nibble on some nibbles... rather than just stand in the doorway for however long...!
    It is certainly a nice idea, but the dangers/risks for head office outweigh the benefits, and this isn't something new under Corbyn to be clear
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    It is certainly a nice idea, but the dangers/risks for head office outweigh the benefits, and this isn't something new under Corbyn to be clear
    Oh yeah, definitely agree there! And no doubt a massive time waster too!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely sickening to see this from the government get full print on BBC News. Pathetic.

EDIT: Uploading the link might be a good idea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36126740
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Not sure if I'm the only one who gets this, but I ****ing hate it when someone says they're going to email me on a certain day, and then it's gone 3pm, and still no email that I've been waiting for!! I know it's not the end of the day, but I want the email!!!! AHhhHHHhhhHhHhhhHhhHHHhHHhhH!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I'm the only one who gets this, but I ****ing hate it when someone says they're going to email me on a certain day, and then it's gone 3pm, and still no email that I've been waiting for!! I know it's not the end of the day, but I want the email!!!! AHhhHHHhhhHhHhhhHhhHHHhHHhhH!!!!
    I've been waiting for about two months for an email LOL! I've sent another email to him today; with any luck he'll respond. Here's hoping.

ReputationRep:
    When i say that ill email someone, its code for "im not gonna email you or contact you ever again"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When i say that ill email someone, its code for "im not gonna email you or contact you ever again"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    I've been waiting for about two months for an email LOL! I've sent another email to him today; with any luck he'll respond. Here's hoping.
    Haha, well, I would've asked sooner

I emailed him last month, but he said he'd email me about this nearer the time (now's the time), then I asked on Saturday, he said today... here's hoping, otherwise, I don't know what to do come Thursday!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Two types of people in this world:
    1 Those waiting for an email
    2 Those who say they'll email, and don't
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just been reminded why I hate social democrats. The SU have made pretty clear they will not allow a motion on NUS disaffiliation this year, but they are still insisting that we should push for a referendum and if that fails basically just let the SU win and wait until they want a referendum; they care more about their illusion of democracy than they do in what they claim to believe in, most would likely vote for reaffiliation anyway and are likely just slightly miffed about the conference rather than genuinely wanting to leave.

ReputationRep:
    Just been reminded why I hate social democrats. The SU have made pretty clear they will not allow a motion on NUS disaffiliation this year, but they are still insisting that we should push for a referendum and if that fails basically just let the SU win and wait until they want a referendum; they care more about their illusion of democracy than they do in what they claim to believe in, most would likely vote for reaffiliation anyway and are likely just slightly miffed about the conference rather than genuinely wanting to leave.
    Bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    Deary me Theresa May. She wants to stay in the eu but leave the ECHR.
    Ignoring the absurdity of leaving the ECHR, you cannot be a member of the EU if you are not a member of the ECHR.

It's a joke that our own Home Secretary does not know this basic legal position.

ReputationRep:
    Just read a rather brilliant article in response to Obama staying we should stay in the EU, it simply quoted the first 4 paragraphs of the declaration of independence and then wrote underneath "this is the reason we are leaving"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    US declaration is a load of natural law tripe.
    Besides it doesn't follow that what works for us would work for the us, we exist in different economic, social and geo-political contexts.

The leave side has lost the economoc argument (not difficult) and is instead trying to argue along some illusionary concept of sovereignty which we will never have, regardless.
    In a possibly irreversible and increasingly globalised and interconnected world, no star is fully sovereign.

Leaving the European Union would be an act on symbolism, that's about it. And that's why almost every nation, most businesses , most international organisations are telling us we are far better off and have far more standing and economic security inside.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    US declaration is a load of natural law tripe.
    Besides it doesn't follow that what works for us would work for the us, we exist in different economic, social and geo-political contexts.

The leave side has lost the economoc argument (not difficult) and is instead trying to argue along some illusionary concept of sovereignty which we will never have, regardless.
    In a possibly irreversible and increasingly globalised and interconnected world, no star is fully sovereign.

Leaving the European Union would be an act on symbolism, that's about it. And that's why almost every nation, most businesses , most international organisations are telling us we are far better off and have far more standing and economic security inside.
    Does this mean that you agree with me that the US owes us nearly two and a half centuries of back taxes?

And by most businesses you're telling me that just a minority or large businesses, which are more europhilic because they actually benefit heavily from the EU constitutes the majority of all businesses? Interesting hypothesis you have there.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.