University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Not the first time.
    And ex- Lucy cavendish's AT is a new Christ's Admissions now.......though Dr. Spencer's photo is still on their undergraduate admission page.
    Oh really? That's interesting so who's Lucy Cavendish AT now then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Oh really? That's interesting so who's Lucy Cavendish AT now then?
    Not announced yet afaik.

Edit: just to be clear. Someone is now in post but not yet "TSR-ready"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And he was at Corpus before Christ's...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That was Dr. Spencer's debut to TSR as a Cambridge college AT.

ReputationRep:
    That was Dr. Spencer's debut to TSR as a Cambridge college AT.
    The wandering AT

The WAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those of you going up to Newhnam this weekend, have you been told that, due to the demolition/rebuilding work, the porters' lodge has been moved?

If not, be prepared to follow a crocodile of puzzled undergrads until you find it!

(Original post by Gregorius)
    For those of you going up to Newhnam this weekend, have you been told that, due to the demolition/rebuilding work, the porters' lodge has been moved?

If not, be prepared to follow a crocodile of puzzled undergrads until you find it!
    I've not been told but I did figure it out when the map they sent for unloading showed a different place for it than last time!

I have a feeling my room this year will have gorgeous views of the demolition work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I've not been told but I did figure it out when the map they sent for unloading showed a different place for it than last time!

I have a feeling my room this year will have gorgeous views of the demolition work
    My view is the porters lodge lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's really inspiring

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe they thought they need to keep an eye on you.........

My daughter's first room had a nice view of the shabby flat roof of college kitchen and industrial-size wheely bins. Luckily she was on the top floor, so also had a great view of their inner court and beyond, but someone below her room was...........

The first room of her friend was on a ground floor facing a bike park. Not nice view to look at but really handy if you overslept. (Which he did almost every day)
    He just climbed out of his window to get to his bike and go.

Edit:
    All the ground floor residents of his building were warned by the college's security staff to stop doing it because, when they're checking with cctv camera, they couldn't tell if it's a student taking a 'short-cut' to the bike park or a thief escaping from a crime scene. But not all of them obeyed.............

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    can't trust you

ReputationRep:
    My view is King's chapel. What do I win?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Beatings

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unlimited sightings of tourists. More than you can take.

ReputationRep:
    Unlimited sightings of tourists. More than you can take.
    they're pretty low level tho so u can just throw a pokeball to catch them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    they're pretty low level tho so u can just throw a pokeball to catch them
    If you really want to catch them..........
    Actually, you don't even have to try at all. It's very easy to bump into them on King's Parade/Trinity Street. No pokeball needed. They're always within your arm's reach........often very suddenly, whether you like it or not. (usually not....) .

Oh, one thing I forgot regarding an accessory for your bike.
    Bike bell. The best defense against a collision with wandering tourists and their unexpected moves.

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations for second-hand bike shops in Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Rutland cycling is good, and I've heard good things about Lensfield Road Cycles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    There're for bike shops (I think..). I don't think any of them is any better or worse than others. Their stock of second hand bikes varies year to year depending upon who went to them to sell theirs when they left Cambridge at the end of previous academic year, so try the nearest one from your college first, then try others if you can't find one you like.
    But many other freshers are after second-hand bikes, too. So don't take too long to choose one.

ReputationRep:
    Do freshers tend to arrive earlier or later in the day? I want to avoid the crowd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)

Keep going past the buttery in the direction of Selwyn and you'll find it! Bear in mind that it is likely to be manic, parking isn't available within the college for very long at a time. My advice: go to the porters lodge, sign in, find out your room but keep the car running. If you're going to be in Old Hall or RFB, go round and park along Newnham Walk (though only one side - the other is resident parking only); if you're in Clough or Sidgwick, park on Sidgwick Avenue (you can pull up in the car park - v tiny car park - outside the lodge doors to unload but park elsewhere) and if you're in Peile, along Grange Road of Sidg Avenue (I'm not 100% there is parking along Grange Road behind Peile though). It is pay and display, including Sundays, and it's £1/hour iirc. If you're in Clough there are lifts to the upper floors but not elsewhere. Also remember that your uni card will let you open doors around the outside of college, such as on the library side of the buttery, if it's easier to park near that and get in that way.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.