Ultimate EPQ thread watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    62.66%
    not helpful
    37.34%

ReputationRep:
    I did extended project last year and to be honest it is easy ucas points so i would recommend it (also good to talk about in uni interviews).
    You cant do your project on a subject that you cover in you options.
    What you final product actually is is up to you, could be a game, film,play, magazine or you could make product. Most people do an essay and a presentation. I did an information leaflet on anxiety and depression then a presentation about how i went about making it.
    I will advise you to stick to the log you are given and dont leave it till last minute, i did this and its really hard to do the log if you haven't done it as you go along hence i got a C overall :rolleyes: The project doesn't take up much time considering you get ucas points equivalent to an AS level, you can complete the whole thing easily in a term.
    I don't know which extended project your going to do but i did the aqa one and there is an example of a final project on there web site

hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Templar49)
    What exactly do they entail? I'm going into sixth form in September (not knowing anyone :eek:) and I'm considering doing one. What different projects are there?

If it helps, my choices are:

History
    English Lit
    Economics
    Psychology
    Unfortunately I picked none of your choices as my A-Levels. So if you're looking for a good topic I can't help.

The Extended Project is basically a massive independent research project were you pick a subject, topic or area of interest of your choice (literally entails almost anything you want), where a substantial piece of work or series of materials are created and submitted (could be a single long research report, a product/prototype and accompanying report, etc.) and where you present to a group of people your findings and how you went about doing the actual project, sort of like how you might present work by the time university comes around for you.

I'm starting Uni when the term starts again in September and finished my EPQ before Christmas 2010. I created a short Sonic-style game of a single playable level and a 5000-word report on the development of the platform game since 1980 (about 500 of which describing the game I made). My presentation was about 10 minutes where I described the most important details I found out and explained some of the research methods I used (involved playing actual games in the name of education!).

It's definitely worth it and if you do well, you're in for some good UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got an input?

ReputationRep:
    so i'm undecided if I should do this project
    i'm interested in the topic i've chosen, but i'm away for most of summer and i've got the ukcat and bmat to revise for
    is it worth doing the extended project? which medical universities care about it?
    loads of people said it was a waste of time and nobody cares about it anyway

ReputationRep:
    I started doing the EP then decided it wasn't worth the time. Looked to me like it provided a good opportunity to research an area more [but you can do that without doing a qualification] and gave something to talk about in personal statements/interviews. It shows a willing and an interest but i'd be extremely surprised if having an EP was a tipping point to an application. My course wasn't/isn't massively competitive though, unlike Medicine.

I don't work in medicial admissions though, so my assumptions may be way off. I'd expect though you'd be better getting some more work experience in the time, or really working at the UKCAT/BMAT. A lack of either of those may severely hinder your application, whereas a lack of an EP probably won't. Not everyone is even given the opportunity to do an EP.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    I started doing the EP then decided it wasn't worth the time. Looked to me like it provided a good opportunity to research an area more [but you can do that without doing a qualification] and gave something to talk about in personal statements/interviews. It shows a willing and an interest but i'd be extremely surprised if having an EP was a tipping point to an application. My course wasn't/isn't massively competitive though, unlike Medicine.

I don't work in medicial admissions though, so my assumptions may be way off. I'd expect though you'd be better getting some more work experience in the time, or really working at the UKCAT/BMAT. A lack of either of those may severely hinder your application, whereas a lack of an EP probably won't. Not everyone is even given the opportunity to do an EP.
    thankyouuuu!
    that's really helpful, i don't think i'm gonna do it unless it makes a massive impact to medical universities
    when i asked the general admissions person at leicester about it he didn't even know what it was.... akward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoaaK)
    thankyouuuu!
    that's really helpful, i don't think i'm gonna do it unless it makes a massive impact to medical universities
    when i asked the general admissions person at leicester about it he didn't even know what it was.... akward
    My school has been doing it for a while, and really encourage us to do it. Yes many universities are unaware of what it is, but when interviewers have asked about it on interview it has given people a very good opportunity to discuss it, and how it has taught them skills like time management, research skills, self-motivation etc. I'm doing mine on motor neurone disease and I'm really enjoying it so far, but if you don't think you have the time it wouldn't be the best idea to do it.

ReputationRep:
    The only good that came out of it for me was that doing all the research and planning and presentation for it made me realise I did not want to study that subject at uni! Helped me change my mind to what I really wanted to do!

ReputationRep:
    TBQH it depends on your situation. If you don't have much to say in your personal statement, go for it. If your course/university does interviews, definitely go for it. Otherwise, stay away unless you want to die over the course of a few months xP

ReputationRep:
    No you can't, sorry. A supervisor and a co-ordinator has to sign off your work for it to be marked/valid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    While at Cambridge Medicine talk, someone asked how they view the EP, and the guy said they like it. But I don't know to what extent.
    They don't really care about EP.

What we care is how you are able to summarize your coursework (whether in chemistry/biology etc), into a coherent paragraph that you can explain your findings and back up your analysis to the interviewers.

The intervewiers will try and shred your coursework evidence, and you will have to try your best to defend it.

So I can see how EP gives people an extra oppurtunity for research/crousework. But honestly, anything will do, as long as you can talk about it.

In fact it will do you harm. If you did EP, but was unable to talk much about it.

I'm giving up my EPQ. My school's organiser put loads of emphasis on it, and makes it sound as if I'll never get into medicine if I didn't do it.
    I went to UCL's open day, and the admissions person just went "Meh. Maybe it'll give you something to talk about in an interview."

To be honest, if I don't have anything more interesting than the EPQ to talk about in an interview, I'm screwed. I do relevant extracurriculars and have work experience, yet my supervisor seems to dismiss that.
    Gah.

Yeah. I don't like it. I also have to write it over the summer, yet that's already packed with work exp, spending time working for my UKCAT and - wait for it - actually having some relaxation time.
    So, bye bye EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    Ahh, fair dos. You wouldn't happen to know the attitude towards the Nuffield bursary? Is it similar to the EP?
    I'd want to know what you did with the bursary (your actual project), rather than the fact that you won the bursary itself.

ReputationRep:
    I find 5000 words too limited..

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I am doing the EPQ this year starting in September, however I would like to get a head start this summer so that I can concentrate on my main subjects a bit more during term time.

I'm taking French, Spanish and English Combined but i am also interested in Performance Studies which I did at AS level. I want to take French and Spanish at university and so I'd like my EPQ to be based on France or Spain or the languages themselves. I originally though of Joan of Arc but I don't think there's enough information or self-research I could do for it to keep me motivated. Any other Ideas?

I'd also like something that could involve a more practical approach as well as the essay. All ideas are welcomed Thanks in advance guys!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do the EPQ project, and I am stuck for ideas. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Psychology, and am considering a future in medicine.

I was thinking maybe along the lines of 'The Differences of Medicine/Medical Quality Across The World' or 'How Medicine Has Changed Over The Previous Century'. It doesn't have to be similar to those titles but preferably based around medicine, but I was just wondering if anyone could come up with some good ideas. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Spoken to my superviser today and we completed the initial planning bit on the production log. And am starting off with my plan. I have briefly done some research as well. Will start writing the 5000-word report this summer. Am I too early or too late?

ReputationRep:
    My title is "Is Western Civilization in economic and political decline?"

Will I be able to fit my answer and sources into 5000 words?

ReputationRep:
    i start AS in september and we start extended project qualification then too, i'm interested in business/economics and law, so ideally would like to do the epq on something to do with law. along the lines of the death penalty argument (but obviously i dont want to do that one haha) and was wondering if anyone had any practical ideas for an idea to do with very interesting and VERY controversial law? thankyou!

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.