Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Haha, I can understand where you're coming from by making a statement that King's>warwick for law on basis that warwick's law is not as established as king's, but if you're talking about the quality of the university as a whole based on the rankings, then warwick has an edge.

Besides, it's impossible to live in london without blowing a hole in my parent's pocket.:p:
    WHAT?! Warwick, an edge, over KCL as a whole? You're joking right?

I knw how ppl say rankings are not always correct, but if u saw last year's THE-QS World Universities Ranking in 2009 (Which NUS and NTU rely on to reflect their apparent prestige), KCL is wayyyy above Warwick. I dont want to assume that you made your "Warwick > KCL in everything else" presumption based on the Times Gd U Guide, but if you did... there are alot of other Rankings that rank KCL above.

I have fwens in Warwick who are also pretty concerned about their employability back in Singapore (Not just the lawpeeps) because ppl here have not heard of Warwick since it is a relatively new kid on the BLk.

Im nt heading to KCL. but without a doubt, I think KCL is in itself a brand name already.

TYpical SInga-ppl's reaction when they hear "King's Koh-Lege", "Whoooaaa"... Sad, superficial, but very true.

Sorry.
    on the contary,
    (a) Bristol is quite a prominent Uni, especially in the Law Circle.
    (b) Your assertion tieing Warwick with Oxbridge.... is only limited to the UK, in the UK's University Rankings. The same rationale u used for Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myersfyer)
    WHAT?! Warwick, an edge, over KCL as a whole? You're joking right?

I knw how ppl say rankings are not always correct, but if u saw last year's THE-QS World Universities Ranking in 2009 (Which NUS and NTU rely on to reflect their apparent prestige), KCL is wayyyy above Warwick. I dont want to assume that you made your "Warwick > KCL in everything else" presumption based on the Times Gd U Guide, but if you did... there are alot of other Rankings that rank KCL above.
    I have fwens in Warwick who are also pretty concerned about their employability back in Singapore (Not just the lawpeeps) because ppl here have not heard of Warwick since it is a relatively new kid on the BLk.

Im nt heading to KCL. but without a doubt, I think KCL is in itself a brand name already.

TYpical SInga-ppl's reaction when they hear "King's Koh-Lege", "Whoooaaa"... Sad, superficial, but very true.

Sorry.
    on the contary,
    (a) Bristol is quite a prominent Uni, especially in the Law Circle.
    (b) Your assertion tieing Warwick with Oxbridge.... is only limited to the UK, in the UK's University Rankings. The same rationale u used for Bristol.
    Funny. No offense, but if you think rankings are incorrect/inaccurate, then why should you bother if 1000 other rankings rank KCL above warwick? Use the same reasoning to justify LSE being ranked below many other UK universities.

As for me saying Warwick>KCL as a whole, I have the opinions of law firms, IBanks, consultancies in the UK to back my assertion, do you have any for believing otherwise besides the alleged ranking which NUS dishes out as a heading on every letter it sends?

Back to SG, yes, people arent aware of warwick because it's new on the block, and people are more likely to believe they have heard of KCL because of the 'london' factor. I seriously dont believe someone can claim to know enough about UK universities if they're unable to list some of the flagship courses for some universities.

Wrongwrong, i never said warwick is with oxbridge. I merely said these 3 unis are never out of the top ten league for many subjects for the many years before. Obviously, oxbridge is a league in itself.

Yes bristol has a v good reputation among law firms in the UK and Singapore. Have checked it out.

ReputationRep:
    Funny. No offense, but if you think rankings are incorrect/inaccurate, then why should you bother if 1000 other rankings rank KCL above warwick? Use the same reasoning to justify LSE being ranked below many other UK universities.

As for me saying Warwick>KCL as a whole, I have the opinions of law firms, IBanks, consultancies in the UK to back my assertion, do you have any for believing otherwise besides the alleged ranking which NUS dishes out as a heading on every letter it sends?

Back to SG, yes, people arent aware of warwick because it's new on the block, and people are more likely to believe they have heard of KCL because of the 'london' factor. I seriously dont believe someone can claim to know enough about UK universities if they're unable to list some of the flagship courses for some universities.

Wrongwrong, i never said warwick is with oxbridge. I merely said these 3 unis are never out of the top ten league for many subjects for the many years before. Obviously, oxbridge is a league in itself.

Yes bristol has a v good reputation among law firms in the UK and Singapore. Have checked it out.
    Nonono. I do not think the rankings are impt. But I assumed that your conclusion of how Warwick triumphs KCL as a whole stems off from the Times UK Uni Guide cos that and a few other rankings are the only sources where Warwick was ranked above KCL as a whole. And if you do, my point is - you souldn't be looking at the UK rankings, look at the International rankings cos that would make more sense.

I myself dont depend on rankings cos the factors they take into consideration differ.

The reason why I said Warwick is practically unheard of is also because Ive heard it off the mouths of Lawyers and Bankers during my internships. Warwick was one of the Unis that gave me an unconditional and I went ard asking for opinions.

I didnt say you 'said warwick is with oxbridge'. i said you tied it together with oxbridge, with a common factor - this being the fact that it has not been out of the yadayada league... and this doesnt really matter because isnt this also reflected in the times UK (UK! UK!) rankings? :/

Tts alllll

ReputationRep:
    Nonono. I do not think the rankings are impt. But I assumed that your conclusion of how Warwick triumphs KCL as a whole stems off from the Times UK Uni Guide cos that and a few other rankings are the only sources where Warwick was ranked above KCL as a whole. And if you do, my point is - you souldn't be looking at the UK rankings, look at the International rankings cos that would make more sense.

I myself dont depend on rankings cos the factors they take into consideration differ.

The reason why I said Warwick is practically unheard of is also because Ive heard it off the mouths of Lawyers and Bankers during my internships. Warwick was one of the Unis that gave me an unconditional and I went ard asking for opinions.

I didnt say you 'said warwick is with oxbridge'. i said you tied it together with oxbridge, with a common factor - this being the fact that it has not been out of the yadayada league... and this doesnt really matter because isnt this also reflected in the times UK (UK! UK!) rankings? :/

Tts alllll
    It would be unbelievable if i denied myself of any consideration to the rankings, whether internationally or domestically. It served as a guide to shortlist the few unis that i'll apply to.

Now this is weird. Did you do your internship in the UK or Singapore? Warwick is a target school to recruit from for many IBanks and it regularly truimphs UCL on the number of appearance on the target lists. As for law firms, as far as i know, about 16 magic circle training contracts went to warwick last year.

I get you for the last point. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It would be unbelievable if i denied myself of any consideration to the rankings, whether internationally or domestically. It served as a guide to shortlist the few unis that i'll apply to.

Now this is weird. Did you do your internship in the UK or Singapore? Warwick is a target school to recruit from for many IBanks and it regularly truimphs UCL on the number of appearance on the target lists. As for law firms, as far as i know, about 16 magic circle training contracts went to warwick last year.

I get you for the last point. Thanks.
    In Singapore

"Im thinking of going to either Warwick or...."
    "War-what? Where's that?"
    "Oh, I've heard of that Uni. Quite a new uni right?"

If you're talking about the UK, there are bound to be training contracts offered to every respectable law school, here and there.

ReputationRep:
    melsonchun: thanks for you VERY DETAILED explanation on the comparison btwn kings & ucl. =) in the meantime do enjoy ur ns! =D

tadimon: i may be going. would you be interested to go together?

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone i just received my a level results ytd. originally i wanted to study law at nus but with my C in gp i think it's out of the question. i do have 6 other As in my pocket though. Is there anyone who can advise me on my chances of getting into nus dentistry? my other options are going to uk nottingham to study law, going to smu law, going to an australian uni, or taking a gap year and reapplying to other top uk schools with my 4 H2 As. im kinda confused now as to which are my best options can anyone give me any advice? thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    hey everyone i just received my a level results ytd. originally i wanted to study law at nus but with my C in gp i think it's out of the question. i do have 6 other As in my pocket though. Is there anyone who can advise me on my chances of getting into nus dentistry? my other options are going to uk nottingham to study law, going to smu law, going to an australian uni, or taking a gap year and reapplying to other top uk schools with my 4 H2 As. im kinda confused now as to which are my best options can anyone give me any advice? thanks so much.
    You don't have to give up your hopes of going to NUS. Take the SAT 1 and make sure to get about 700 on the critical reading section. You can apply with EITHER an A/B in GP OR anything above an E in GP and critical reading score above 700.

Good luck and congrats on your 6 other As!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you're entering uni this year right? Im due for uni next year man, 8 months of national slavery more to go.
    haha yeah gonna enter come august/september

no worries man! 8 months will fly by and you'll find yourself so bloody free after you ORD you'll cry haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryhappyfeet)
    melsonchun: thanks for you VERY DETAILED explanation on the comparison btwn kings & ucl. =) in the meantime do enjoy ur ns! =D

lol i'll be going.. i'm fine with anything! just want to see the group of s'poreans who may/will be studying at warwick for the coming enrolment in september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    No, a C in your GP does not necessarily mean you won't be eligible for NUS Law. You do have 6 other As haha.. If you really want to read law at NUS, just apply for it and if you get shortlisted for an interview, excel

I've a friend who scored 3 As, 1 B (all H2) and got a C for his GP and managed to get into Dentistry.

Addressing your alternative routes, Nottingham is a very respected and popular university for Singaporeans to read law. You won't go wrong with it. If you are going to enlist (if you are a male), then you can just opt to reapply for the other top UK universities when the next application cycle comes around. You've great A Level results, and should not be too worried when it comes to applying for the top universities.

Hence, the best advice in my opinion is to apply, and do not limit the options that will be available to you. Congrats on your great results

ReputationRep:
    In Singapore

"Im thinking of going to either Warwick or...."
    "War-what? Where's that?"
    "Oh, I've heard of that Uni. Quite a new uni right?"

If you're talking about the UK, there are bound to be training contracts offered to every respectable law school, here and there.
    ok I've posted a bit here but...

1. The league tables provided by both Times and Guardian are not infallible. I would not rely too heavily on them to determine a university's ranking/prestige.

2. Most interviewers will know about Warwick. It is a well-known enough university. However, it is more famous for its Business and Finance school. Its Law School was just recently recognised by the Ministry of Law in Singapore. However, I have talked to some family friends who are lawyers, and they have said that Warwick is reputable enough. Furthermore, I don't think that you'd be asking any Tom, **** or Harry on the street for a job, right?

3. King's College may indeed be a more "prestigious" place to read law as compared to Warwick. However, in my opinion, it is very much more important for the student to do well and become a proficient lawyer. Prestige can only take you so far.

All in all, just study hard and get the best out of what has been given to you

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't actually care if the average person in Singapore has heard about Warwick or not ; they aren't the ones offering me a job. And yes, I realize I do sound arrogant (sorry!), but if I end up in a situation where these people will be the people offering me a job, all I can say is, I must have screwed up somewhere, and then I would be damn paiseh to even say I come from Warwick.

Warwick *is* recognized in Singapore, or if I shall use layman's terms, recognized by the firms "graduates want to be employed by to earn big bucks". Think law or investment banking. Even the civil service / public service send their HR / recruitment team to Warwick at least once (or twice) a year trying to get the Singaporeans to come back and work for them.

As for Warwick being recognized in the UK, I've been to internship assessment workshops (for investment banking at least), and find that the majority of prospective interns come from either LSE or Warwick. (Which is kind of lucky for me, for I suspect if I had gone to KCL, I wouldn't even be invited, assuming everything else -CVs, online tests, etc remains constant). Brand name does count, and Warwick does have a brand name of its own. - Best part, I'm not even doing an Accounting and Finance or Business Degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadimon)
    lol i'll be going.. i'm fine with anything! just want to see the group of s'poreans who may/will be studying at warwick for the coming enrolment in september
    Is it open to anyone? I dont mind popping by if so.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun at the Warwick's Q&A session on 23rd March - I think *some* Singaporeans may be going back during Easter, and might help out. Unlikely though. On the other hand, I'll most probably be at the next Q&A session sometime in August. (The food there is good too.)

If I'm there though, I'll probably be a spectator, unless Mavis arrows me to do a presentation on MORSE, which I will try to wriggle out of, since errrr..err..errr.. like it or not, I'm the next chair/President of the MORSE society for the next year.

Of course, no Singaporeans are coming to Warwick to do MORSE right?

*I actually am unsure of what reply I want to this question. I'd like a 'no Singaporeans', so I can slack. I'd like a 'got a lot of Singaporeans coming to do MORSE wor', because we're being outnumbered by the Malaysians :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryhappyfeet)

Very hard.

ReputationRep:
    clear leave take off - very easy

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heading to Bristol next fall? I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    You don't have to give up your hopes of going to NUS. Take the SAT 1 and make sure to get about 700 on the critical reading section. You can apply with EITHER an A/B in GP OR anything above an E in GP and critical reading score above 700.

Good luck and congrats on your 6 other As!
    Thanks for your reply. but my problem is that i got a 670 for my SATs. =// so i dont know whether it can still be acceptable with my C in gp. since im a girl if im gonna apply to uk unis i have to take a gap year. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is it open to anyone? I dont mind popping by if so.
    lol i think they'll contact you and get you to reserve your place at the event..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.