Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I know exactly what you mean, I just hate London and plus it's too expensive. I'm applying to LSE and UCL to just please my parents although I'd probably firm Warwick/Bristol or even Southampton over those 2.
    Londons not that much more expensive to be honest. Although I probably would firm warwick of UCL purely since warwick looks nicer.

ReputationRep:
    which economic courses are you people applying for at oxbridge and LSE etc

ReputationRep:
    if i apply for cambridge, LSE, UCL, warwick and nottingham. what entry exams will i have to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    location, i mean London is nice but i'd prefer not to be there haha - plus a campus-style University like Bath i would MUCH prefer over the way UCL is situated. Plus that one-year placement just looks so good, i know UCL has a better rep but id prefer a years work experience at a top bank during my degree
    Depends on how worthwhile the work exp is, whereas UCL/LSE make it easier to get into front office jobs in banks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have AABB at AS in maths, economics, chemistry and physics, I'm predicted A*AA (A* in maths, As in eco and chem) but have quite a substandard GCSE performance of 5As 6Bs. Would my application still be quite competitive at Bath, Bristol,York, UCL and Surrey? My PS is relatively good (i'd like to think)..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    FOR ECONOMICS APPLICANTS TO CAMBRIDGE FOR 2014 ENTRY

Spoiler:
    Show

Application statistics have been released for 2014 entry here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ly/statistics/

It seems that application numbers are down, but the general trend is that fewer offers will be given - so don't get your hopes up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)

Spoiler:
    Show

Application statistics have been released for 2014 entry here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ly/statistics/

It seems that application numbers are down, but the general trend is that fewer offers will be given - so don't get your hopes up!

Hmm, 81 applicants. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Interviews are never really about numbers; more about how you perform as an individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    Hmm, 81 applicants. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Interviews are never really about numbers; more about how you perform as an individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What college is this?

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

The fact St Johns beat Trinity is surprising. 81 at King's? I was expecting that much to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Pembroke was quite a popular college, it seems decent though now as only 29 have applied, me being one of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    I thought Pembroke was quite a popular college, it seems decent though now as only 29 have applied, me being one of them
    Yeah I thought that too. Corpus Christi only have 12 but then again this is their first year doing Economics for a few years. I feel there will be a lot of applicants taken from the pool this time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravenclawed)
    I haven't received the email from Nottingham either I did only send off my application last week but eh.

I wasn't really expecting an offer from them anyway as it's so competitive but I hope I still have a chance

My grades aren't amazing, but they meet the requirements and I don't think my application is horrendously bad.
    I received the email about 2 weeks after I applied, so you might just get it in the coming week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinceVC)
    I have AABB at AS in maths, economics, chemistry and physics, I'm predicted A*AA (A* in maths, As in eco and chem) but have quite a substandard GCSE performance of 5As 6Bs. Would my application still be quite competitive at Bath, Bristol,York, UCL and Surrey? My PS is relatively good (i'd like to think)..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I got AAABC, dropped the B and C, and I'm predicted A*AA and I've applied to 2 of your choice (UCL and York)
    I got 9 A*s and 3 As at GCSE and also applied to Leeds, Birmingham and Queen Mary's London! I have already received offers from Leeds and York so I would say York will probs give you an offer!

UCL is my number 1, I just want them to want me

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me the A levels i should be taking in order to get into land economy at cambrduge?

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

81 for King's doesn't seem that bad.
    No one applied to Lucy Cavendish - winter pool, here I come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    81 for King's doesn't seem that bad.
    No one applied to Lucy Cavendish - winter pool, here I come.
    Only if they had an all boys college too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Only if they had an all boys college too. :rolleyes:
    I was just messing.
    I mean, living in an all-girls college is awesome because it's still Cambridge but coeducational > single sex, and 2 years spent just with girls is enough for me.

Got my mock interview feedback.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Extremely good knowledge of Economics. Applied excellently to current economic issues, particularly relating to Poland. Spoke passionately and knowledgeably about subject in which she is interested. Very impressed with familiarity with Polish pension reforms.

Would like to have seen more engagement with the more abstract questions. These questions were not designed with the answers in mind but for an insight into thought processes. A lack of enthusiasm means we do not get to see the assumptions that Julia can make. It also impacts rapport. Remember, the interviewer is looking for someone they would like to teach so I would recommend demonstrating more interest in the topics that are presented by the interviewer.

I found it funny how he first said I spoke passionately but then talked about lack of enthusiasm. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    I was just messing.
    I mean, living in an all-girls college is awesome because it's still Cambridge but coeducational > single sex, and 2 years spent just with girls is enough for me.
    So would you pick LSE over Lucy Cavendish?

ReputationRep:
    So would you pick LSE over Lucy Cavendish?
    I think Lucy Cavendish is actually for 21 years old women.

But if I were offered a place at Newnham or Murray Edwards, it would be silly not to accept it because it's a female college.
    I really don't know which one I would choose. They are both great but I don't have to worry about than now because it isn't easy to get an offer from either.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought that too. Corpus Christi only have 12 but then again this is their first year doing Economics for a few years. I feel there will be a lot of applicants taken from the pool this time round.
    It also depends on the quality of applications at Corpus as well, I don't mind getting pooled there and tbh I don't mind getting pooled anywhere as long as I get an offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.