Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Not likely to happen. If he wanted to go he'd have gone a season or two ago when we won nothing. Instead he showed commitment by buying out AVB's contract at Porto. Didn't work out but if rumours are to be believed then he'll do the same for Mourinho. Tbh, I think he's realised he/the board screwed up the DI Matteo situation with the fans. If he didn't care he wouldn't be trying to get Mourinho back.
    But could happen. You actually think he listens to the fans? Cute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    yeh but he still has the power to sell every asset in the club doesn't he?

that would mess us up just like malaga
    NO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I've said it to a chelsea fans face

Spoiler:
    Show
    He's one of my best friends and it was a bit of banter but still.....
    Well it's silly to lose friends over football. My best mates at Uni are Arsenal fans from Norway; know a lot about the club. You aren't going to be lamped by a mate for sasying something in jest.

Say that to someone you don't know in the tone that you come across on here, and I don't think they'll take it as "banter".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    yeh but he still has the power to sell every asset in the club doesn't he?

that would mess us up just like malaga
    No you wouldn't be screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    But could happen. You actually think he listens to the fans? Cute.
    Going out to get Mourinho despite what happened in 2007 would indicate it. If he wanted to do what he wanted he'd have kept Benitez/ gone out to sign up Pelligreni etc as soon as he could.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's silly to lose friends over football. My best mates at Uni are Arsenal fans from Norway; know a lot about the club. You aren't going to be lamped by a mate for sasying something in jest.

Say that to someone you don't know in the tone that you come across on here, and I don't think they'll take it as "banter".
    Yeah I know - it was a joke.....

Why on earth would you just go up to a random stranger and say that anyway?

ReputationRep:
    If Arsenal were looking to build for the future, they wouldn't have sold key and quality players as they were at the time, such as Adebayor, Toure, Nasri, Fabregras, Song and Van Persie to their rivals. Sorry, but you can't disagree with that. Doing that limits your opportunity for success.
    These were all players who wanted to win trophies now and couldn't wait (i.e. Van Persie, he's not getting any younger) or where the other team massively overpaid. And then there is Fabregas who left for his boyhood club.

These players needed to be sold on so we could continue to make profits, especially in recent years as our previous commercial deals were front loaded. We're now coming into a position where we don't need to let these players go anymore, as our increased commercial revenue and reduced stadium debt give us more flexibility. The Emirates restricted us in the short term to allow us to compete financially in the long term, it's not a hard concept.

Most of the debts we owe have been changed into shares for Abramovich which means we have a lot less debt than we do otherwise. Arsenal are no different so it's an irrelevant point.
    Comical. There is a huge difference between out long term serviceable debt that is going down and your huge debt that is skyrocketing. FFP is going to seriously tie your hands when you're asked to not make astronomical losses. Even if you get away with it, you're far, far off making the profits Arsenal do, and you'll need to make profits to compete.

Chelsea have more squad depth and we don't have players looking to leave every two seasons or so. Arsenal have some great players that I'd like to see at Chelsea, but considering the quality of players we have out on loan as well as our Youth System which has reached the Youth Cup semi's in 4 of the last 5 years, won it last year and are in the final this season, again that argument doesn't quite stack up I'm afraid.
    And Chelsea are a club so well known for giving youth a chance. We all know it's inevitable the Roman won't have the patience before buying the next 'big thing'. But I'm glad that £540m got you some nice prospects that will end up at loan at Middlesbrough whilst our youngsters actually get a chance at first team football. Not that I blame the managers, anybody who had Roman as a boss wouldn't in their right mind risk their career on youngsters.

ReputationRep:
    If Roman decided to sell Chelsea, who in honestly would buy them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Things that come to mind when someone thinks of Chelski: Racist/thuggish/obnoxious fans and a lack of history.
    We make history not live in it & at the same time there's probably some Arsenal fans who are racist/thuggish/obnoxious as well, don't generalise and judge people as people instead of trying to reflect it on us as a football club as a whole :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    These were all players who wanted to win trophies now and couldn't wait (i.e. Van Persie, he's not getting any younger) or where the other team massively overpaid. And then there is Fabregas who left for his boyhood club.

These players needed to be sold on so we could continue to make profits, especially in recent years as our previous commercial deals were front loaded. We're now coming into a position where we don't need to let these players go anymore, as our increased commercial revenue and reduced stadium debt give us more flexibility. The Emirates restricted us in the short term to allow us to compete financially in the long term, it's not a hard concept.

Comical. There is a huge difference between out long term serviceable debt that is going down and your huge debt that is skyrocketing. FFP is going to seriously tie your hands when you're asked to not make astronomical losses. Even if you get away with it, you're far, far off making the profits Arsenal do, and you'll need to make profits to compete.

And Chelsea are a club so well known for giving youth a chance. We all know it's inevitable the Roman won't have the patience before buying the next 'big thing'. But I'm glad that £540m got you some nice prospects that will end up at loan at Middlesbrough whilst our youngsters actually get a chance at first team football. Not that I blame the managers, anybody who had Roman as a boss wouldn't in their right mind risk their career on youngsters.
    Granted, not many of our youth products have made it through, but they've still gone onto other clubs and been a success/done well. We've had Sinclair, Di Santo, Stoch, Matic brought through, played a few games and decided they want to move on. However, we've got Bertrand who's on the edge of the first team and soon our first choice LB, Piazon on loan at Malaga and Mceachren at Borough; all brought for cheap fees-less than £5million max on each; all ready to break through. Not to mention the youngsters such as Lukaku, De Bruyne but they were realtively expensive so not really worth analysing even though they're quality is clear to see.

Funny though how you're giving me a lecture about spending money on young players/academy when you paid £10 million for Walcott and didn't play for about 3 seasons. Chamberlain is a quality player, but £16 million in total is a lot for somebody who most Arsenal fans seem to moan about a lot-same with Ramsey. I don't know of an Arsenal fan who actually likes him.

Doubt we'll be selling the likes of Hazard/Mata/Luiz year on year to try and "balance the books" though.
    TBF you had the chance of keeping RVP after Cazorla signed but you went on and gave him away. £24 million is pennies compared to what he was worth at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Granted, not many of our youth products have made it through, but they've still gone onto other clubs and been a success/done well. We've had Sinclair, Di Santo, Stoch, Matic brought through, played a few games and decided they want to move on. However, we've got Bertrand who's on the edge of the first team and soon our first choice LB, Piazon on loan at Malaga and Mceachren at Borough; all brought for cheap fees-less than £5million max on each; all ready to break through. Not to mention the youngsters such as Lukaku, De Bruyne but they were realtively expensive so not really worth analysing even though they're quality is clear to see.

Funny though how you're giving me a lecture about spending money on young players/academy when you paid £10 million for Walcott and didn't play for about 3 seasons. Chamberlain is a quality player, but £16 million in total is a lot for somebody who most Arsenal fans seem to moan about a lot-same with Ramsey. I don't know of an Arsenal fan who actually likes him.

Doubt we'll be selling the likes of Hazard/Mata/Luiz year on year to try and "balance the books" though.
    TBF you had the chance of keeping RVP after Cazorla signed but you went on and gave him away. £24 million is pennies compared to what he was worth at the time.
    I like Ramsey :cry2:

Plus i have not seen anyone hating on the ox that much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    We make history not live in it & at the same time there's probably some Arsenal fans who are racist/thuggish/obnoxious as well, don't generalise and judge people as people instead of trying to reflect it on us as a football club as a whole :yy:
    Been going to Arsenal since I was 4 and have never heard even a whisper of racist abuse. Of course there will be Arsenal fans who would love to spout hate if they could, but Arsenal has always been a club known for not allowing it. Even in the 80s when racism was seen as a fact of life at football, Arsenal fans weren't,

Trendy left wing Islington came afterwards. Arsenal just wouldnt lower themsleves to racism.

But like it or not, Chelsea's fanbase was once synonymous with racism and these guys still form a significant chunk of the CFC fanbase, Forget about racism, A Chelsea work mate of my dad, who happened to be Irish, went to Stamford Bridge in the 90s with his kid and was heckled and physically threatened for being ''IRA'' for example. He stopped going that day.

ReputationRep:

Nice to talk with yet another narrow minded Arsenal fan though.

for a 29 year old on the final year of his contract you must be joking...

ReputationRep:
    Been going to Arsenal since I was 4 and have never heard even a whisper of racist abuse. Of course there will be Arsenal fans who would love to spout hate if they could, but Arsenal has always been a club known for not allowing it. Even in the 80s when racism was seen as a fact of life at football, Arsenal fans weren't,

Trendy left wing Islington came afterwards. Arsenal just wouldnt lower themsleves to racism.
    You might not heard it but usually there's always a few moronic fans of all clubs. I remember I felt terrible when Eboue was booed & cheered off the field against Wigan in 2008 which was an absolute disgrace imo

Not racistly motivated in that instance but just an example of some Arsenal fans lacking class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    You might not heard it but usually there's always a few moronic fans of all clubs. I remember I felt terrible when Eboue was booed & cheered off the field against Wigan in 2008 which was an absolute disgrace imo. Not racistly motivated in that instance but just an example of some Arsenal fans lacking class.
    I was at that game and Eboue genuinely did not even try. I have no idea what was in the guys head that day but it was one of the most woeful performances I've ever seen.

Its not good to boo, but when youre paying 50 quid a ticket and your player is literally refusing to break into a jog then people's frustrations can take over. And Eboue was one of the most popular Arsenal players btw.

ReputationRep:
    I was at that game and Eboue genuinely did not even try. I have no idea what was in the guys head that day but it was one of the most woeful performances I've ever seen.

Its not classless to boo when youre paying 50 quid a ticket and your player is literally refusing to break into a jog.
    What's the point of booing though, it doesn't really help & will only make matters worse. He just had a bad day that's all & to get that reaction was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

Its not classless to boo when youre paying 50 quid a ticket and your player is literally refusing to break into a jog.
    So why the hell is it suddenly crime of the century when a Chelsea fan does it. Double standards.

ReputationRep:
    We bought Walcott as a 16 year old and he played 16 league games in his first full season and 25 in his second. He's now one of our most productive players.

Oxlade-Chamberlain joined as a 17 year old and has played 39 league games in two seasons. He's still only 19, had a poor start to the season (rumours that Wenger wanted him to focus on becoming more well-rounded) but has been explosive in his appearances since.

Ramsey is 22 and has played over 100 games for us despite his horrific injury. In the second half of this season he's been one of our most consistent players and has won over the fans again after a rough spell. He seems to have found his place in the squad.

Odd examples for you to choose considering all three players are fully integrated members of our squad.

Huh? We could only buy Cazorla if we sold a player, and seeing as every man and his dog knew RVP wanted to leave thanks to that statement added to the fact that he only had a year on his contract left, £24m was a good deal.

Of course you won't attempt to 'balance the books' because Chelsea have no intention of breaking even (love how you say 'balance the books' with such scorn, as if it's the wrong thing to do, typical Chelsea ignorance when it comes to finances, most of you guys live in some kind of dreamland), although soon UEFA will force them to if they have it their way. Arsenal do things the right way and don't spend beyond our own means. Cue the inevitable 'what has that won you', and you're right, nothing in the short terms, but we're in an incredibly advantageous position now we through probably the most delicate 10 year period in our clubs history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    for a 29 year old on the final year of his contract you must be joking...
    Didn't know he was on the final year of his contract. Still, he told Wenger he was willing to stay, and after being top scorer all season he could have gone for £30 million. He was the most wanted player all summer.

ReputationRep:
    So why the hell is it suddenly crime of the century when a Chelsea fan does it. Double standards.
    I've been frustrated with many players over the years that I've never booed. I would never boo Gervinho because he's doing his best even though he's been absolutely terrible most of the time but when a player like say Santos is clearly overweight and just not trying(swapping shirts at half time etc) then he deserves to hear about it.

Chelsea boo players who are trying 100% and managers doing their best. Not on.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.