Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you have to apply to Oxford to take the PAT? I'm tempted to take it for fun .

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just got my AS results and hoping to study chemical engineering. Is it really worth applying to Oxford?
    Grades: 10 A* s and 3 As for GCSE
    AS:
    Maths:
    A with 272/300UMS

Further math:
    A with 252/300 UMS

physics:
    A with 260/300 UMS

Economics
    A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:
    B with 239/400 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geetigirl)
    Hi I've just got my AS results and hoping to study chemical engineering. Is it really worth applying to Oxford?
    AS:
    Maths:
    A with 272/300UMS

Further math:
    A with 252/300 UMS

physics:
    A with 260/300 UMS

Economics
    A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:
    B with 239/400 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should definitely try remarking one of your chemistry papers since you are 1 mark from an A, otherwise you should definitely apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messier31)
    Does anyone know if you have to apply to Oxford to take the PAT? I'm tempted to take it for fun .
    I'm pretty sure it's only available to people applying for related courses at Oxford, but you can always give papers a go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    You should definitely try remarking one of your chemistry papers since you are 1 mark from an A, otherwise you should definitely apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've already had one paper remarked and it came back the same grade. Not sure if it's too late to get the other paper remarked. I should? You'll be the first person to say so ahah. Thank you so much for replying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieBarlow87)
    Yeah I guess that's true. Its not so much that I've got my heart set on oxford, its more that I feel like my maths grade gives me a disadvantage for most unis really, I don't feel like I should have that disadvantage (I am looking into a remark which might remove this problem)
    Unless we're talking about Oxbridge or Imperial, I really don't think a B in AS Maths is going to be the end of the world. But I hope the remark is successful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Unless we're talking about Oxbridge or Imperial, I really don't think a B in AS Maths is going to be the end of the world. But I hope the remark is successful!
    thank you and those are my first two choices :P If the remark goes badly ill try to impress them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I'm pretty sure it's only available to people applying for related courses at Oxford, but you can always give papers a go
    Oh that's a shame .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geetigirl)
    I've already had one paper remarked and it came back the same grade. Not sure if it's too late to get the other paper remarked. I should? You'll be the first person to say so ahah. Thank you so much for replying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I certainly would say it's worth another shot, and it will be back with you before the October 15th deadline if you do it asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    Well I certainly would say it's worth another shot, and it will be back with you before the October 15th deadline if you do it asap.
    I don't think I am going to go for it as I've already had one rejected, and can't really spend £80 just to get the same grade. despite this, do you still think an application is worth it with the B In chemistry? Thank you so much for replying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Worth applying for E&M with 4A* 6A GCSE and 4A AS in maths, FM , physics and econ (continue all next year, predicted at least A*A*AA) or nah?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just got my AS results and hoping to study general engineering . Is it really worth applying to Oxford?

AS:

Maths:

A with 272/300UMS

Further math:

A with 252/300 UMS

physics:

A with 260/300 UMS

Economics

A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:

B with 239/400 UMS

I've posted before but I think I might apply for general engineering instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys do you think Oxford Medicine is less competitive than Cambridge? (A relative of mine mentioned that it is harder to get into Cambridge than into Oxford) or would you say it is the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel_roar)
    Hey guys do you think Oxford Medicine is less competitive than Cambridge? (A relative of mine mentioned that it is harder to get into Cambridge than into Oxford) or would you say it is the same?
    Oxford has a lower acceptance rate (11% compared to cambridge's 15%), so make of that what you will.
    But in reality they use completely different selection criteria.
    If you have good gcse's (90% A* or more) then apply to Oxford.
    If you have good UMS (95% or more) then apply to Cambridge.
    Also bear in mind that oxford uses the bmat a lot more than cambridge do, essentially oxford multiply your %A* at GCSE by your standardised bmat score and then interview the top 30%. Cambridge interview everyone that meets their entry requirements.
    From interview on the selection process is a lot murkier, but obviously you are more likely to get an offer from oxford post interview than from cambridge, as oxford interview a much smaller percentage of their applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody been to Oriel, Magdalen or St Johns? I'm stuck for which one to choose (applying for History and Politics) so was wondering if anybody could help me out? I've been to St Johns and loved it but Magdalen and Oriel seem lovely too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Has anybody been to Oriel, Magdalen or St Johns? I'm stuck for which one to choose (applying for History and Politics) so was wondering if anybody could help me out? I've been to St Johns and loved it but Magdalen and Oriel seem lovely too

Possibly unhelpful, but have you read the Oxford online 'alternative prospectus'? It's written by the students so might offer an extra insight? Worth a look if you haven't already seen it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Possibly unhelpful, but have you read the Oxford online 'alternative prospectus'? It's written by the students so might offer an extra insight? Worth a look if you haven't already seen it
    Thank you I'll have a look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    I looked round Magdalen at the open day, and I'm applying for the same as you.

I thought I was really nice, and so I didn't actually look round many colleges. I liked Magdalen, and to be honest I didn't want to over complicate it.

As you probably know it has really pretty grounds, it's close enough to the centre, you get accommodation for three years and some cool people got history degrees from there.

Some people might say I should put more thought into it, but I'm sure all colleges are really nice in their own ways. I got a good feeling from this one so just left it at that.

Is there anything really specific you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    I looked round Magdalen at the open day, and I'm applying for the same as you.

I thought I was really nice, and so I didn't actually look round many colleges. I liked Magdalen, and to be honest I didn't want to over complicate it.

As you probably know it has really pretty grounds, it's close enough to the centre, you get accommodation for three years and some cool people got history degrees from there.

Some people might say I should put more thought into it, but I'm sure all colleges are really nice in their own ways. I got a good feeling from this one so just left it at that.

Is there anything really specific you want to know?
    Not really just wanted to know people's impressions and experiences. My teacher did Law at Magdalen and strongly recommended it for History, but I do like Oriel too Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Unless you genuinely want to take a gap year, no. Taking a year out just for the sake of improving your chance of getting into Oxford isn't a great idea because even with top grades, you're still not guaranteed a place and you could very well end up where you started, but now having wasted an entire year of your time. There's still no harm in applying to Oxford and with AAABB at AS you've still got a great chance for practically every other university in the UK, and the truth is that you'll probably end up just as happy somewhere else as you would be at Oxford even if you don't get in.

If you do have ideas on how you could spend your gap year constructively and you don't feel that it would be a wasted year even if you didn't get into Oxford the second time round, then you could apply post-A2. If your A2 results are great then you'd definitely be in a much stronger position applying. It's still not a bad idea to apply this year though, at the very worst you'll have gained experience that will be useful in your second application.
    I'm a second year undergraduate at Oxford at hot AABC at AS

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.