Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebeelouise)
    hey guys! Hope we are all good!

In need of some advice, I sat the UKCATSEN last week and got 2380, 510 in VR, 680 in QR, 580 in AR and 610 in DA, Band 1 in SJ.
    So this is obvs rubbish, and I'm banking on the GAMSAT going better...
    On set for a 1st in Physiology from the uni of Liverpool. lots of work exp, volunteering and community engagement...
    Just rubbish at entry exams clearly...
    Anyone got any advice??
    There's a couple of universities that don't used admission exams (Birmingham, Cambridge), it might be worth checking if you meet their other requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Also... what weighting does SJ have...? Cause... I did well in that bit!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust&Tea)
    There's a couple of universities that don't used admission exams (Birmingham, Cambridge), it might be worth checking if you meet their other requirements.
    Birmingham.... have to actually have a degree, so can't apply this year, maybe next year if I don't get in.
    Waiting for a response from Cambridge!!!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham.... have to actually have a degree, so can't apply this year, maybe next year if I don't get in.
    Waiting for a response from Cambridge!!!
    There's also Bristol if you meet their requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also... what weighting does SJ have...? Cause... I did well in that bit!!!!!
    Sadly none, as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstieW)
    There's also Bristol if you meet their requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have ABB at A-Level, and they want AAB, I emailed them earlier this year. I was sick in my chemistry A-level exam and missed the A grade, they said they'd take it into consideration, but basically implied that they'd reject me on anther means.......
    Which is really annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Sadly none, as far as I'm aware.
    Well, that is rather upsetting... I practiced that section for nothing!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow grads applying for Medicine for 2016!

In reply to Rebeelouise, it is good you got the main parts such as work exp. volunteering and degree sorted. I know how you're feeling with the UKCAT. I failed 3 times so this year is going to be the 4th time I'm doing the UKCAT. Hopefully 4th time lucky.

Hope you do well in the GAMSAT!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I just wanted your opinion on my application for GEM:
    1st class degree in biomedical science
    MSC in Drug Discovery (basically pharmacology and worked at GSK)
    MRes in musculoskeletal ageing (lots of ageing stuff in this course!)
    Shadowed: respiratory, stroke, rheumatology, emergency care consultants and an f1 and f2.
    Worked as a HCA.
    I now work for the NHS in research and devlopment helping doctors be engaged in research.
    Sounds good right? But UKCAT was 680
    Also my a levels are not good enough for any that consider them. I'm not doing any other entrance tests this year.
    Please let me have your thoughts as even though I have loads of experience my UKCAT let me down

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewNew)
    Hi fellow grads applying for Medicine for 2016!

In reply to Rebeelouise, it is good you got the main parts such as work exp. volunteering and degree sorted. I know how you're feeling with the UKCAT. I failed 3 times so this year is going to be the 4th time I'm doing the UKCAT. Hopefully 4th time lucky.

Hope you do well in the GAMSAT!
    Good luck and keep going! UKCAT is rubbish!!!!
    You'll get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amywool)
    Shadowed: respiratory, stroke, rheumatology, emergency care consultants and an f1 and f2.
    Worked as a HCA.
    I now work for the NHS in research and devlopment helping doctors be engaged in research.
    Also my a levels are not good enough for any that consider them. I'm not doing any other entrance tests this year.
    Please let me have your thoughts as even though I have loads of experience my UKCAT let me down

Thanks
    What did you get in the VR section of UKCAT? Having an MSc, you could be in with a shot at Warwick with 680.

Edit...I see you got 620 in VR. I reckon you would get an interview at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Worked as a HCA.

Thanks
    Warwick could still be an option for you, as your Masters means there will be a lower UKCAT cutoff. Are you taking the GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    Worked as a HCA.

Thanks
    Sounds amazing!! 680 might be okay with your experience, you'll only know til you apply...
    What about non UKCAT unis??? Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge???

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's worth applying to any UKCAT-requiring GEM courses with an average of 667 or is this just far too low?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkate2401)
    Do you think it's worth applying to any UKCAT-requiring GEM courses with an average of 667 or is this just far too low?
    Probably will be a bit low for GEM. It's worth waiting until October 9th which is when the deciles come out before making any decisions, maybe there will be a swing in the mean score.

Do you have any postgrad qualifications? If you do, you might sneak in the Warwick cutoff at a push.

Have you looked at 5 year courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Probably will be a bit low for GEM. It's worth waiting until October 9th which is when the deciles come out before making any decisions, maybe there will be a swing in the mean score.

Do you have any postgrad qualifications? If you do, you might sneak in the Warwick cutoff at a push.

Have you looked at 5 year courses?
    Unfortunately no postgrad qualifications. I think I'll probably focus on 5 year courses and maybe a GEM depending on deciles..

Are there any 5 year courses that are particularly welcoming of graduates (2.1 in Biomed)..? I'm keen on Queen's Belfast but not too sure where else yet!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no postgrad qualifications. I think I'll probably focus on 5 year courses and maybe a GEM depending on deciles..

Are there any 5 year courses that are particularly welcoming of graduates (2.1 in Biomed)..? I'm keen on Queen's Belfast but not too sure where else yet!
    Not entirely sure, though your biomed degree will open up a few doors.

ReputationRep:

If you have abb at a level including chemistry you'll be good for queens. I don't have chemistry and they wouldn't accept it taken after my first degree so that ruled that one out for me. More manageable tuition fees too if you're a ni student!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    out of the following unis: Kings, Southampton and Newcastle - do you know whether all of them or at least some offer you a 5y place if you perform well at the interview but not good enoguh to get into GEM?

Many thanks,
    Kate
    I know King's do but not sure about the other two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    out of the following unis: Kings, Southampton and Newcastle - do you know whether all of them or at least some offer you a 5y place if you perform well at the interview but not good enoguh to get into GEM?

Many thanks,
    Kate
    Kings is the only one I'm afraid!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.