Edexcel A2 C3 Mathematics 12th June 2015 Watch

This discussion is closed.
lightningdoritos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gome44)
I'm not sure this is correct, the tangent will intersect the curve in 2 places. You know a and k are postive, so you know the tangent is on the -f(x) side (just imagine the graph). Differentiate and do it normally
That's what I thought because if you put the b^2-4ac equal to zero you get have to sqrt a negative which you can't do
However, on my diagram the curves only intersect once? Does the "tangent" part of the graph count as an intersection too?
Medicjug
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JizzaStanger)
set the two functions equal to each other to get an equation for their points of intersection. It should be a quadratic in x. Since they curves are tangential, you know this equation only has one solution. This means the discriminant of the equation is zero. You'll then get an equation you can solve for k.
Is this a Solomon paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gome44
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mb_12)
I think it is easier to look at it like this:
sin(theta) = x
theta = sin^-1(x)
theta = arcsin(x)
The problem with going that way around as opposed to the previous way is θ could also be π-arcsin(x), there is not one specific solution. Anyway, that's just being nit picky
nbofni
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rimzzzzz)
have you even revised for this exam?!
no integration at all!
Lol, viggi mate, you're screwed if start integrating on a c3 paper xD.
suyoof123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You do
Out of the 6-7 pp's i've done, they havnt come up.

Do you know how they are relevant in terms of what can be asked.
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lightningdoritos)
That's what I thought because if you put the b^2-4ac equal to zero you get have to sqrt a negative which you can't do
However, on my diagram the curves only intersect once? Does the "tangent" part of the graph count as an intersection too?
Yes
MrBowcat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Freddy-Francis)
Guys any tips?
Yeah tip of this d****.

HA GOT EEEEEEEM
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adorablegirl1202)
hey you know for jan 2010 9iib i get the range is greater than 3 but why is it not greater than and equal?
Does it involve e^x? Then e^x can never equal 0

Ah, you never know with some people. Someone on the m2 forum said they didn't know what limiting friction was...
To be fair, we never got taught the term limiting friction, it was always limiting equilibrium, although it should have been pretty clear
lightningdoritos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes
yay thanks!
BBeyond
Badges: 5
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gilo98)
:rofl: hopefully the table function on my calc and some praying tonight will get me through it!! Cant believe some people can just 'see' it - even with a ****ing mirror doing SATS i could never do reflections - the only ones I'm fine with are reflections in the axis when the graph doesn't go through them :mmm:

ikr, got 70/75 because of the tan Q and not seeing the similar triangles approach to the functions Q (the hardest Q on paper imo). Praying for smoothening similar
how do you do it on your calc?

didnt u just get 2 equations for the lines for that q? (at least i did)
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by suyoof123)
Out of the 6-7 pp's i've done, they havnt come up.

Do you know how they are relevant in terms of what can be asked.
That means there's a high probability of it coming up this year. You'll probably just be asked to sketch the graph and maybe use transformations with them
WillGood
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guys i am going to share with you identies that you must know that are not included in the book

Take ∞ as Theta

Sin(90 - ∞) = cos(∞)
Cos(90 - ∞) = sin(∞)

Here are the practice Questions that envolve these identities:

June 2013 Q3

I found out about these today from teacher. Have fun, sorry for the last minute notice but I hope I helps.
Medicjug
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeddyKC)
Could someone help with this beast of a question?
(Part b)
Attachment 425815

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey what paper is this from I can help you with the first part but I need to see the mark scheme for the second bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nashaa)
Anyone think the paper tomorrow will be as disgusting as last year's paper? It was literally the worst paper I think I've done.
If you think that was bad, take a look at June 2013. It was 69 for the 100 IIRC..
Gilo98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BBeyond)
how do you do it on your calc?

didnt u just get 2 equations for the lines for that q? (at least i did)
theres some table function. shift mode something - gives you a table of values - plot points and see the shape then

you were meant to use similar triangles - just couldn't see how i was expected to get the answer - also missed the sneaky second solution to the last part
BBeyond
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gilo98)
theres some table function. shift mode something - gives you a table of values - plot points and see the shape then

you were meant to use similar triangles - just couldn't see how i was expected to get the answer - also missed the sneaky second solution to the last part
ah ok

lol i just made 2 equations for the lines using the points and did them that way, was easy enough
dominicwild
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrBowcat)
One would think that the difficulty of a paper can only be assessed once the paper has actually been seen.
We work this out, as it's directly proportional to the amount of Hitler videos made.
suyoof123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That means there's a high probability of it coming up this year. You'll probably just be asked to sketch the graph and maybe use transformations with them
Thanks, I'll be sure to learn them in case.

(Original post by WillGood)
Guys i am going to share with you identies that you must know that are not included in the book

Take ∞ as Theta

Sin(90 - ∞) = cos(∞)
Cos(90 - ∞) = sin(∞)

Here are the practice Questions that envolve these identities:

June 2014 Q7
June 2013 Q3

I found out about these today from teacher. Have fun, sorry for the last minute notice but I hope I helps.
2014 Q7, how would you apply those two rules.
nbofni
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
If you think that was bad, take a look at June 2013. It was 69 for the 100 IIRC..
I think the more crazy thing about that paper, was 50/75 for an A....
Gilo98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BBeyond)
ah ok

lol i just made 2 equations for the lines using the points and did them that way, was easy enough
tbd sounds easier than the intended method
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads