Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Does this mean that you agree with me that the US owes us nearly two and a half centuries of back taxes?

And by most businesses you're telling me that just a minority or large businesses, which are more europhilic because they actually benefit heavily from the EU constitutes the majority of all businesses? Interesting hypothesis you have there.
    I'm quite surprised with some of your reasoning. You pride yourself on never speaking to emotion yet you've made frequent references to 'getting our sovereignty back', 'taking back control', and now the us declaration which are all abstract concepts designed to appeal to emotion such as national pride and all that.

There is no sound economic argument for leaving, mostly because the leave campaign have not been able to answer which deals we sign when outside the eu and how we can be sure we can make such deals.

Obamas intervention highlighted the weakness of the leave campaign. Their campaign has been based on America and the rest of the world waiting for us with open arms if we leave and now the US are saying that very much is not the case.
    They, like others prefer negotiating with the EU, rather than individual countries.

The leave campaign has no economic argument and is simply appealing to nationalism.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    God Jeremy Hunt is a absolute t***

(Original post by hazzer1998)
    Why does the swear filter pick up Tory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    synonyms yo
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I'm glad you admit it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Did'nt Use it i stared out most of the word
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how many of you know but we have an informal chat set up on Skype which anyone is welcome to join, there are 20ish members of the chat now.

If you'd like to join us then add me on: nebelbon

I'll add you as soon as possible.

Skype is completely free to use and we only use text messaging atm.
    Doing that Now
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I hope this won't reduce MHoC activity even further.
    I worry that it'll take away from this chat, which is possibly the most active part of here... i don't think it's the wisest thing to publicly advertise it here... just encourages cliques etc imo...

I think it's fine having it, but not to be advertising in the main chat thread for another chat...

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    I worry that it'll take away from this chat, which is possibly the most active part of here... i don't think it's the wisest thing to publicly advertise it here... just encourages cliques etc imo...

I think it's fine having it, but not to be advertising in the main chat thread for another chat...
    That's actually a valid concern. I'll remove my post and leave up to internal party advertisements should they want it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

I agree. I think these Skype chats might be good for party discussions but for discussions open to the entire MHoC, they should not happen.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Agreed.
    Bring back capital punishment for all those who engage with the other place or off site coms!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

That's actually a valid concern. I'll remove my post and leave up to internal party advertisements should they want it.
    Thank you, nebelbon. I too share the concerns of mobbsy and Quamquam over these chats both for drawing activity away from the MHoC and for the possibility that any problems there will be brought back onsite.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think these Skype chats might be good for party discussions but for discussions open to the entire MHoC, they should not happen.
    Mmm, might want to edit your first post about it with the quote if you haven't already!

(Original post by Aph)
    Agreed.
    Bring back capital punishment for all those who engage with the other place or off site coms!!!
    Mmm, maybe!
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Thank you, nebelbon. I too share the concerns of mobbsy and Quamquam over these chats both for drawing activity away from the MHoC and for the possibility that any problems there will be brought back onsite.
    Yeh - don't want another IAS situation...!

I think the fact it is mostly unheard of by the wider group is a testament to it not bringing back many issues to site
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact it is mostly unheard of by the wider group is a testament to it not bringing back many issues to site
    IAS....
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, but you know me, I'm very cautious about this part of the game.

(Original post by Aph)
    IAS....
    That is why the 'many' was there

Not yet, but you know me, I'm very cautious about this part of the game.
    That's understandable, it can get out of control but the people we have in the chat are cool so it's nothing to worry about
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That's understandable, it can get out of control but the people we have in the chat are cool so it's nothing to worry about
    I don't, because it invariably becomes a mod issue on here, so not my problem
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't, because it invariably becomes a mod issue on here, so not my problem
    This point is where I feel the biggest problem comes in...

At what point does something become a mod issue on here... Obviously if things are said on here, with reference to the chat, then it's a mod issue on here, but to what extent can it be a mod issue if it's something happening in the chat...

Not really a question for you to specifically answer, more just a rhetorical one about off-site contact etc in general...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Deary me Theresa May. She wants to stay in the eu but leave the ECHR.
    Ignoring the absurdity of leaving the ECHR, you cannot be a member of the EU if you are not a member of the ECHR.

It's a joke that our own Home Secretary does not know this basic legal position.
    She also said she wants to reduce the power of the European Parliament.. given that a big issue most people have with the EU is the parliaments lack of power compared to the european commission, she seems just a little bit clueless

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.