Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i come to this page after finishing my maths c3, which was stupid hard compared to 2015 backwards, knowing ive done no revision for this in the past 7 weeks due to being rimmed by as resits.i HOPE i can can remember all this in one day.

if the papers as hard as chem4 ill eat my paper in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamk123)
    i come to this page after finishing my maths c3, which was stupid hard compared to 2015 backwards, knowing ive done no revision for this in the past 7 weeks due to being rimmed by as resits.i HOPE i can can remember all this in one day.

if the papers as hard as chem4 ill eat my paper in the exam
    lool this is literally me
    i need 100 in this paper or i've got no chance of a decent A after chem 4

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do we have to know about metal extraction for this unit because I kinda forgot my AS stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi guys does anyone know how to get round thermodynamics im really struggling with it especially with the rearranging the born haber cycle ?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Informant)
    How has everyone learned the colours and equations?
    The only way you really can learn is through repetition - it gets very boring but on some past papers there have been like 12 marks for this section which can easily boost a grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous-97)
    hi guys does anyone know how to get round thermodynamics im really struggling with it especially with the rearranging the born haber cycle ?

thanks in advance
    Try to remember that enthalpy of formation equals the rest of the cycle and then can work out the values and work out the differences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26december)
    Try to remember that enthalpy of formation equals the rest of the cycle and then can work out the values and work out the differences

Posted from TSR Mobile
    when talking about [Al(oh)]4-, do you write it as that or as [Al(OH)4(H20)2]4- ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutcase13)
    when talking about [Al(oh)]4-, do you write it as that or as [Al(OH)4(H20)2]4- ?
    It's not 4- it only has 1 minus
    [Al(H2O)2(OH)4]- with XS OH-

For others though I always put 2+, 2-, 3+ etc. outside the bracket

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolla01)
    [Cr(OH)6]^3– --> CrO4^2- + 2H2O + 2H+ + 3e- x2
    H2O2 + 2e- --> 2OH- x3

these are the two half equations

3H2O2 + 2[Cr(OH)6]^3– --> 6OH- + 2CrO4^2- + 4H2O + 4H+

The OH- and H+ cancel out to make H2O, so 4H+ + 4OH- --> 4H2O
    3H2O2 + 2[Cr(OH)6]^3– --> 2OH- + 2CrO4^2- + 8H2O

Hopefully this helped, if you still don't understand here is a useful link: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic...quations2.html
    brilliant thank you! i forgot that you can form water with the H+ and OH-

ReputationRep:
    I think it is supposed to be [Al(OH)4(H2O)2]-. At least, that's how I've always written it.

Also, I'm unclear on the 'why' of substitution reactions. For example, [Cu(H2O)6]2+ reacts with an excess of ammonia, it forms [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]2+. When my class asked our Chemistry teacher why that happens and why aren't all the H2O ligands replaced, all she said was "It just does". Can someone explain it, please??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26december)
    It's not 4- it only has 1 minus
    [Al(H2O)2(OH)4]- with XS OH-

For others though I always put 2+, 2-, 3+ etc. outside the bracket

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does aluminium oxide or silicion dioxide have the higher melting point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    Does aluminium oxide or silicion dioxide have the higher melting point?
    aluminium oxide

ReputationRep:
    When they ask why a coloured ion is formed do you say the d-electrons absorb visible light or white light? I've always said it's visible light but then in one of the 2010 papers it said white light so now i'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with bidentate ligands and M3+ ions? I assumed they would react in the same way as M2+ ions but according to http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JAN12.PDF Q8ei they don't. Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiney101)
    When they ask why a coloured ion is formed do you say the d-electrons absorb visible light or white light? I've always said it's visible light but then in one of the 2010 papers it said white light so now i'm not sure.
    I always visible light

ReputationRep:
    Why are enthalpy changes approximate?
    is it because averages are used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiney101)
    i usually just talk about the visible light spectrum generally unless it tells u (or implies) in the question what colour it shows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous-97)

thanks in advance
    I explained it here before. It might help

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post65043249

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to know how to name complexes?
    Lie tetrachlorocobalate (II)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.