Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016 Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Do freshers tend to arrive earlier or later in the day? I want to avoid the crowd...
    I'm afraid the day freshers descend on their college for the first time when a new academic year starts is the busiest time at any college, not very easy to avoid the crowd (and even worse traffic in Cambridge town) because they're told by their college to arrive on a specific day & during a specific period of time. And some of the older students arrive on the same day, too.
    But if you live near enough, you may have a better chance if you can get there at the earliest time you're allowed to because people who come from afar can't get there very early. But it won't be a quiet day whenever you arrive............

(Original post by Paralove)
    Keep going past the buttery in the direction of Selwyn and you'll find it! Bear in mind that it is likely to be manic, parking isn't available within the college for very long at a time. My advice: go to the porters lodge, sign in, find out your room but keep the car running. If you're going to be in Old Hall or RFB, go round and park along Newnham Walk (though only one side - the other is resident parking only); if you're in Clough or Sidgwick, park on Sidgwick Avenue (you can pull up in the car park - v tiny car park - outside the lodge doors to unload but park elsewhere) and if you're in Peile, along Grange Road of Sidg Avenue (I'm not 100% there is parking along Grange Road behind Peile though). It is pay and display, including Sundays, and it's £1/hour iirc. If you're in Clough there are lifts to the upper floors but not elsewhere. Also remember that your uni card will let you open doors around the outside of college, such as on the library side of the buttery, if it's easier to park near that and get in that way.
    Oooh thanks for the advice!

I'm going to be in RFB, as an email from Wendy yesterday about the card being operational on the building revealed are there no lifts in that? My main suitcase is v heavy

Yeah, I'll get my dad to park alone Newnham walk, it's the side opposite RFB's side that's residential isn't it? Hopefully with the pay and display they can stay a little longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I'm afraid the day freshers descend on their college for the first time when a new academic year starts is the busiest time at any college, not very easy to avoid the crowd (and even worse traffic in Cambridge town) because they're told by their college to arrive on a specific day & during a specific period of time. And some of the older students arrive on the same day, too.
    But if you live near enough, you may have a better chance if you can get there at the earliest time you're allowed to because people who come from afar can't get there very early. But it won't be a quiet day whenever you arrive............
    Thanks!
    also, do students need to bring passport and passport photographs? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Thanks!
    also, do students need to bring passport and passport photographs? Thanks!
    Can't remember about a passport photograph (sorry it was five yrs ago my daughter went there as a fresher....) but they need to see your passport to make sure you really exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Oooh thanks for the advice!

I'm going to be in RFB, as an email from Wendy yesterday about the card being operational on the building revealed are there no lifts in that? My main suitcase is v heavy

Yeah, I'll get my dad to park alone Newnham walk, it's the side opposite RFB's side that's residential isn't it? Hopefully with the pay and display they can stay a little longer
    Ahhh nice! You have some winning features: free laundry afaik and the rooms are much more modern so yay nicer bathrooms and v nice kitchens , unless you're on the ground floor in which case it's a 2-person flat with a kitchenette (still have an oven though!). View won't be quite so pleasant though, and a bit of a walk to the buttery/library in comparison. But hey, if you don't know any different it's not so bad haha.

No lifts in RFB though. But, as it's more modern it means that the staircases aren't quite so long/as many steps as you would get in the older sections of buildings with high ceilings. Going to the second floor in RFB is much easier than 2nd floor Peile for example.

Yeah, it's the side on the left if you're facing Pfeiffer arch from the road. I was in Old Hall in first year and never had any issues with parking along there so hopefully you'll be alright.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about this but I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding cambridge - if anyone who's been there a while could help me , could u please pm pls?thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemphys)
    Sorry about this but I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding cambridge - if anyone who's been there a while could help me , could u please pm pls?thanks
    Why can't you post it here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Why can't you post it here?
    I know people on here - feel awkward about it

ReputationRep:
    I know people
    So do I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    So do I.
    actually nvm , its fine , its not that big of a deal .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    actually nvm , its fine , its not that big of a deal .
    You should PM alow ...

ReputationRep:
    Any Robinson college or phys nat sci group chats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Do freshers tend to arrive earlier or later in the day? I want to avoid the crowd...
    Wellyou cant avoid it now lol since tmmrw is the 1st.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Not the first time.
    And ex- Lucy cavendish's AT is a new Christ's Admissions now.......though Dr. Spencer's photo is still on their undergraduate admission page.
    You're not the first person to point this out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    You're not the first person to point this out!
    Lol
    It's been there quite a while after Dr.Spencer left Christ's, I was beginning to wonder if you look identical to him!

Look forward to meeting real you on the website before too long.
    And good luck in your new post.

ReputationRep:
    Just reading this thread...hoping in a few years this will be me procrastinating over packing and fretting about dress codes, anyway GL everyone in this thread you all deserve everything you've achieved

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else feeling really nervous right about now?

ReputationRep:
    GOOD LUCK for everyone who's setting off to Cambridge today.
    Hope you'll enjoy the life there as much as all the cantabs I've known......and I'm sure you will.
    Very best wishes for your new journey.

Edit: one practical advice
    The first thing you should do after registering at a welcome desk is getting a trolley from the porter's. (If your college's kind JCR people are not waiting for you with a trolley already). It'll reduce the number of to/fro-ing between your car and room a lot. They only have a limited number, so secure it when you can. Usually you have to pay a deposit (refunded when you return the trolley) , so take same cash with you. (At my daughter's college, there wasn't any fixed amount for deposit, so you just paid what you like and a porter recorded it and refunded the same amount later, but this may vary from college to college)

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all of you starting today! Hope you have as amazing a time as I did. It will fly by though, so make the most of all the opportunities you'll have.

It was my 10 year post-graduation reunion last week, can't believe it's already been that long! Unfortunately I missed it as I was in hospital, but it looks like all my friends had a great time, ike we'd never left (though maybe not quite so fresh-faced, especially the next morning!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalGal)
    Ok, here's the truth.

I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year?
    where did you read that they can't legally let you in with a BMI under 16? I have a BMI of 15 but am totally healthy and do not suffer from any eating disorders. Just wanted to know because I have just applied for uni and had no idea anything like this was a thing

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.