UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Aykap
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iheartvet)
I know that in the UK, Pearson sends your scores to the universities that require them. I am not sure if this is the same in Belgium. Why don't you phone Pearson tomorrow or UCAS to confirm?

Yeah...i did call ucas....but i'll try calling pearson 2morro...thnq for the advice
OriginofSymmetry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jade4666)
I thought myself that i had a great score that was until I seen some of the other really great scores posted on here and now it just doesn't compare, sorry if your offended lol
You realise that a lot of people here will only post if their score is really great or they're lying?

The sheet said most people get 500-700. And, 700 is probably in the top 20% at least. Your score is great. Most people won't dare to post a score around 600 on here and in reality, that is the average.
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by witness the sickness)
it says on the sheet 600 is average, so im hoping 700 is a good enough score to at least get an interview at most UKCAT universities. Im thinking of newcastle, manchester and kings does anyone have any idea if 700 is good enough for them?

YES.

Newcastle had a cut off of around 600 last year.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Messsage to all:

This is on behalf of people who are getting angered by seemingly arrogant people in this thread, which is consequently building up tension.

The UKCAT is definitely NOT a huge part of the application by any means. I have done my research (as I am sure everyone else has despite constantly asking whether their score of 700 is good enough) and most of the UKCAT universities use it in conjunction with everything else. Even for top universities such as Edinburgh, the UKCAT plays an 8% part towards your application, which isn't much at all. Also, King's College London stated that last year, the lowest UKCAT score that got in was 513. This is lower than ANYONE'S I have seen on this thread. It just shows that the UKCAT does not guarantee a place in medical school whatsoever.

Different universities have their methods of using the UKCAT but here are a few I know of: Manchester said they will be ranking UKCAT scores this year after you pass through the initial check to potentially get an offer. However, they say they still consider everything else despite interviewing on basis of the UKCAT score. Southampton, Leeds, Keele, Birmingham, Nottingham and many others use it in conjunction with other parts of the application and little weight is based on the UKCAT. From what I understand, Sheffield and Newcastle base more weight on the UKCAT and may have cut-offs at 600 or so. Southampton also declared a cut off of 550 average last year, but have not specified one this year.

Basically, there are far more important things in the application than the UKCAT. It is still a very new test, and some universities are still considering how's best to use it. Some (such as Leeds last year - correct me if I'm wrong) even take out sections such as AR because they feel it's pointless so work out an average from the other 3 sections. There are others who don't even use the UKCAT such as Bristol and Liverpool.

What make's a good doctor? Being able to place shapes in different sets with similar shapes or having a wide range of good skills developed through extra curricular activities and work experience? I think the answer is obvious and this is why most universities don't use the UKCAT much.

So, what is important? Your personal statement is very important - especially for Southampton as they do not interview. It should demonstrate a variety of things in key areas such as motivation, determination, work experience, communication and all the rest. It's your chance to write whatever you feel is best to get a place in medical school and it's greatly considered by universities. Your references are very important too. Most universities will look at these and literally mark them, giving them scores in different sections. They may go towards total points for your application or may solely decide whether you are interviewed.

Lastly, I would like to say that no one here appreciates people asking whether a score of 650-800 is good enough to get an interview. It's an extremely respectable score as they are above the 600 average and don't forget a lot of applicants will have below 600 as that's the mean. Anyway, having a high score doesn't guarantee an interview or anything as there are far more important parts of your application.

Hope this clears things up..
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
Messsage to all:

This is on behalf of people who are getting angered by seemingly arrogant people in this thread, which is consequently building up tension.

The UKCAT is definitely NOT a huge part of the application by any means. I have done my research (as I am sure everyone else has despite constantly asking whether their score of 700 is good enough) and most of the UKCAT universities use it in conjunction with everything else. Even for top universities such as Edinburgh, the UKCAT plays an 8% part towards your application, which isn't much at all. Also, King's College London stated that last year, the lowest UKCAT score that got in was 513. This is lower than ANYONE'S I have seen on this thread. It just shows that the UKCAT does not guarantee a place in medical school whatsoever.

Different universities have their methods of using the UKCAT but here are a few I know of: Manchester said they will be ranking UKCAT scores this year after you pass through the initial check to potentially get an offer. However, they say they still consider everything else despite interviewing on basis of the UKCAT score. Southampton, Leeds, Keele, Birmingham, Nottingham and many others use it in conjunction with other parts of the application and little weight is based on the UKCAT. From what I understand, Sheffield and Newcastle base more weight on the UKCAT and may have cut-offs at 600 or so. Southampton also declared a cut off of 550 average last year, but have not specified one this year.

Basically, there are far more important things in the application than the UKCAT. It is still a very new test, and some universities are still considering how's best to use it. Some (such as Leeds last year - correct me if I'm wrong) even take out sections such as AR because they feel it's pointless so work out an average from the other 3 sections. There are others who don't even use the UKCAT such as Bristol and Liverpool.

What make's a good doctor? Being able to place shapes in different sets with similar shapes or having a wide range of good skills developed through extra curricular activities and work experience? I think the answer is obvious and this is why most universities don't use the UKCAT much.

So, what is important? Your personal statement is very important - especially for Southampton as they do not interview. It should demonstrate a variety of things in key areas such as motivation, determination, work experience, communication and all the rest. It's your chance to write whatever you feel is best to get a place in medical school and it's greatly considered by universities. Your references are very important too. Most universities will look at these and literally mark them, giving them scores in different sections. They may go towards total points for your application or may solely decide whether you are interviewed.

Lastly, I would like to say that no one here appreciates people asking whether a score of 650-800 is good enough to get an interview. It's an extremely respectable score as they are above the 600 average and don't forget a lot of applicants will have below 600 as that's the mean. Anyway, having a high score doesn't guarantee an interview or anything as there are far more important parts of your application.

Hope this clears things up..

Thank you. This should be moved to the first page.
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
Thank you. This should be moved to the first page.
Doneo. :yy: Thank you, Danielisew.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the appreciation
ollie2410
Report 10 years ago
just done it, got 718 woohoo =]
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well done! You should be proud!
i.star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bravo Danielisew!
The Jester
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ok... soooo.. how much practice did everyone actually do before their exam?..

mines is next week and i've only looked at a couple of questions and tried to figure out the stuff i'm supposed to look for in AR.
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Jester)
ok... soooo.. how much practice did everyone actually do before their exam?..

mines is next week and i've only looked at a couple of questions and tried to figure out the stuff i'm supposed to look for in AR.
5-6hrs the night before. :]
and some going through problems at school

it's not a test you can study for....
just familiarize yourself with how the tests look like and you'll be fine ^^
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
Southampton, Leeds, Keele, Birmingham, Nottingham and many others use it in conjunction with other parts of the application and little weight is based on the UKCAT.
Birmingham don't use UKCAT.

Apart from that, the rest of your post is spot on.
bean87
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
at hull & york the UKCAT is 1/6 towards whether or not you get an interview
Aykap
Report 10 years ago
hey....gotto ask yr guys opinion..
I am going to apply to 2 UKCAT universities: one being King's and the second one I don't really know. I was thinking of St. George's before my ukcat. My ukcat, however, went rather well (got avg of 720) and im thinking to mayb take more risk with my 2nd ukcat choice....wld it be advised to do so? and is st george's arleady a real gd uni to apply to, coz i dont reli knw which ukcat universities r lyk "better".
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aykap)
hey....gotto ask yr guys opinion..
I am going to apply to 2 UKCAT universities: one being King's and the second one I don't really know. I was thinking of St. George's before my ukcat. My ukcat, however, went rather well (got avg of 720) and im thinking to mayb take more risk with my 2nd ukcat choice....wld it be advised to do so? and is st george's arleady a real gd uni to apply to, coz i dont reli knw which ukcat universities r lyk "better".
depends where you want to go and study...
city life? what kind of teaching (pbl/lectures)? etc.etc.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bean87)
at hull & york the UKCAT is 1/6 towards whether or not you get an interview
THAT IS NOT TRUE AT ALL!

sorry, that needs correcting, the ukcat is nothing like that important at hyms. they only use it to distinguish between the bottom few on the possible interview list usually....

My mum is head of PBL and admissions there by the way.... will try answer any questions if people have any but i can't ask my mum to tell you about it unfortunately...
Aykap
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hyeree)
depends where you want to go and study...
city life? what kind of teaching (pbl/lectures)? etc.etc.

lol yeah...thts the thing i don't really know.....wht about newcastle? i heard they were gd....but wld it be worth it to drop st george's for newcastle?
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha.... i wish i was... i was goin to apply but decided wud be weird seeing my mum at work...plus she sed she cudn't pull any strings for me :P
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aykap)
lol yeah...thts the thing i don't really know.....wht about newcastle? i heard they were gd....but wld it be worth it to drop st george's for newcastle?
they are really good. so you are going for the city type?
nottingham
edinburgh
manchester (pbl)
birmingham
liverpool (pbl)
etcetc.
just to pick and choose ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEAโ€ฆ Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads