Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeritV)
    Heeey and me tooo (unless I screwed up the history paper yesterday, which is possible)
    Hellooo - sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I finally got my exams finished yesterday! I'm sure you didn't screw up history Which course are you doing at Oxford / what's your name? It would be good to know some more people before I turn up haha x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Ellen Timothy ~)
    Hellooo - sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I finally got my exams finished yesterday! I'm sure you didn't screw up history Which course are you doing at Oxford / what's your name? It would be good to know some more people before I turn up haha x
    I'm hopefully gonna do PPE and my name's Zuzana
    yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    Assuming we all get in, will people be arriving with parents on the first day, or coming alone?
    I'd imagine my parents and my little sister will come with me. I will have to go in the family car because of all the stuff I will have! I think my parents would quite like to see Keble, too...we didn't visit it when we went to the open day, as i got pooled so it wasn't my original choice!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mai-)
    I'll be arriving with my dad (hopefully - purely because his jeep would be the best way of transporting all my stuff to Ox!) I don't know whether he'd be hanging round for long though, I think it would be easier to meet other students without hovering parents..

(Original post by zigzog7)
    Parents just to help cart kit down there I think
    Hmmm I dunno what to do.

I feel like I should have my parents with me to do the whole cheesy "Omg im at uni now! Bye, love you love you loads" thing where they cry. And they've never been to Oxford so it would be nice for them to see the college/ city. The thing is we don't have a car in the family so we'll either have like a bag each on a train, or we'll have to convince a relative to drive us all the way to Oxford :P

Plus my dad works offshore for two weeks at a time and he comes home the day after i'm supposed to arrive, and my mam won't come alone, and my nana won't leave Newcastle D: So if he doesn't manage to get off early it looks like i'll be alone on a train under a pile of bags
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    I'd imagine my parents and my little sister will come with me. I will have to go in the family car because of all the stuff I will have! I think my parents would quite like to see Keble, too...we didn't visit it when we went to the open day, as i got pooled so it wasn't my original choice!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming we all get in, will people be arriving with parents on the first day, or coming alone?
    My parents will be coming to drop off all my stuff- plus they've never seen Queens because I didn't originally apply there.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be arriving with my parents as my mum still hasn't seen Univ yet, and it'll be easier to get all of my stuff to Oxford if they can drive me there.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to have my parents driving me there, but since I am not from the UK... not happening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    From the two you've mentioned it does seem like we've got the same books! I haven't had anything for linguistics yet either ...
    Any chance of possibly copying out / scanning reading list? Don't get mine to mid August and will be away Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    Certainly! There'll be some others I don't know about as you're doing French on its own, but these are the ones I've been told to get with the recommended editions:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Short Texts:
    Montaigne, 'Des coches' in Essais, Livre III ed. Micha, published by Garnier-Flammarion (and it says don't get the Galliard Folio edition)
    Graffigny, Lettres d'une Péruvienne (it says don't get the Coté-Femmes edition)
    Baudelaire, 'Au Lecteur' and poems 3 ('Elévation'), 7 ('La Muse malade'), 10 (etc.), 19, 21, 23, 25, 28, 29, 31, 36, 40, 44, 48, 49, 50, 53, 62, 66, 69, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85 from 'Spleen et idéal' in Les Fleurs du Mal, ed, Chesters and published by Bristol Classical Press, or ed. Dupont, published by Flammarion, or ed. Pichois, published by Gallimard
    Césaire, Cahier d'un retour au pays natal, published by Présence africaine
    Racine, Phèdre, ed, Parish, published by Bristol Classical Press
    Beckett, En attendant Godot, published by Editions de Minuit

Prose Fiction:
    'La Chastelaine de Vergi' in Nouvelles Courtoises, ed. Méjean-Thiolier + Notz-Grob, published by Livre de Poche
    Laclos, Les liaisons dangereuses, ed. Pomeau , published by Garnier, Flammarion
    Balzac, La Peau de chagrin, ed. Satiat, published by Garnier-Flammarion or the Folio edition ed. de Sacy
    Proust, Combray, ed. Hodson, published by Bristol Classical Press or in Du coté de chez Swann, ed. Compagnon, Gallimard Folio edition

My letter says to read all the short ones and two of the novels before October if possible, but I don't know whether it would be different depending on subject combination/college.
    Thanks so much that's so helpful! Already read 4 of them coincidentally so that's good! Thanks again
    Also it's funny how the short texts are like 200 pages...

ReputationRep:
    I know that I'll be with my father definitely, since we can pile all my stuff into his van far easier than the car. I wouldn't mind my parents going up to Oxford with me, my mum adores the place, and neither of them have seen Magdalen (aside from in the film Shadowlands), so I know they'd love to. They'll be useful bag carriers, though, fiddling about on the trains with my things would be a real bore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigzog7)
    No midnight, it was a morning exam. its 4:30 if its an afternoon exam.
    my bad. how was it?

ReputationRep:
    Exams are finally finished! Will anyone else be hammering F5 on UCAS Track at 6AM? That is, unless the rumours that this doesn't work any more are true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgovernjon)
    Exams are finally finished! Will anyone else be hammering F5 on UCAS Track at 6AM? That is, unless the rumours that this doesn't work any more are true...
    Thats what I shall be doing, although on the letter from ucas it says track is open from 9am..

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be heading down (up? :dontknow:) with my parents, that way I can bring a lot more with me. Plus I think on my first trip there, I'll definately be bringing too many non-essential things!
    On another note, I was showing my grandparents where 'I may be living for the next 4 years if I meet the offer', but they were a bit dazzled with all these different colleges, and how the university is actually in the city centre, and how all the old buildings belong to the same university. I was desperately losing the battle, so eventually I had to give in!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Rachel*)
    Thats what I shall be doing, although on the letter from ucas it says track is open from 9am..
    Somebody told me that Oxford are one of those universities that like to play with the minds of their applicants, and don't update track quickly on results day, leaving the offer-holders still on edge until they actually get their results. It may just be somebody playing with me though! :P

EDIT: It seems somebody was lying to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Somebody told me that Oxford are one of those universities that like to play with the minds of their applicants, and don't update track quickly on results day, leaving the offer-holders still on edge until they actually get their results. It may just be somebody playing with me though! :P
    I really hope that isn't true! I don't need any more stress on August 18th!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I agree - it seems like those few hours between getting up and getting the results aren't a big deal, but when it comes to whether you're meeting your Oxford offer or not, those hours are going to be torturous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Haha - that does sound like the kind of thing they'd do. My college sent me an email asking why I hadn't confirmed my interview when they hadn't even told me I'd got one!

I think my college gives out results at 8:30

ReputationRep:
    Haha - that does sound like the kind of thing they'd do. My college sent me an email asking why I hadn't confirmed my interview when they hadn't even told me I'd got one!

I think my college gives out results at 8:30
    Yeah I can get my results online but not sure of the time, might be 7am. Even talking about it is making me nervous!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I can get my results online but not sure of the time, might be 7am. Even talking about it is making me nervous!
    You'll be fine Which subjects are you doing?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.