Edinburgh Students Society Watch

yossarianlives
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
When do we get our accomodation deposits back?
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Last year it wasn't until September-ish, because I remember it was still being sorted at the Reception Centre when I locked my swipe card in my room for the first time (so two days then).

I don't get it back, though, so I'm not overly bothered- mine gets carried over. What I really want is to be told whereabouts in Chancellor's I'm living- because despite its rep, there are some skanky areas to the building. I'm starting to feel like a Fresher again- all those new neighbours. Gosh, I'm so excited!

And hey, 1901 posts! Who'da thunk we were all such geeks?
Feef
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got my deposit back about a week ago, though that was from living at Darroch.

Not bad, minus 25 pounds, could've been far worse!
yossarianlives
Report 11 years ago
Atleast no one has said 'O everyone has theirs back--you're not getting yours' to me, yet. hah.
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Last I saw, Chancellor's folk were going to be down only six quid each. Cue a joke about everybody's Daddy's paying for the damage.
yossarianlives
Report 11 years ago
O I hate Daddy
MissSmith
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hello all!

was just wondering how the new first years are settling in? and how about the oldies? are you all glad to be back? how did your summers all pan out?

hope you are all well and managed to avoid this years freshers flu
xxx
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Whoa! This thread's a bit of a blast from the past

Unfortunately I'm on my second strain of Freshers' Flu. Occupational hazard I suppose, of living and working in Pollock.
grammar_king
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fresher here! I'm settling in well at South Clerk Street (btw how schizo is that road? got about a million names), 2 of my 3 flatmates are a bit weird but the neighbours are cool so it's all good. Joined far more societies than I'll be physically able to take part in, and am managing to find my way around quite well. Even found a Chinese supermarket that sells dim sum and stuff.

I'm quite surprised at the workload. I was led to believe by everyone I know at uni that year 1 is a piece of piss but I've got 14 hours contact time a week and loads of reading and exercises to do, especially in Spanish, more than half my workload is from Spanish alone. I expected Spanish to be the easiest, and Chinese the hardest!
arod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by grammar_king)
Fresher here! I'm settling in well at South Clerk Street (btw how schizo is that road? got about a million names), 2 of my 3 flatmates are a bit weird but the neighbours are cool so it's all good. Joined far more societies than I'll be physically able to take part in, and am managing to find my way around quite well. Even found a Chinese supermarket that sells dim sum and stuff.

I'm quite surprised at the workload. I was led to believe by everyone I know at uni that year 1 is a piece of piss but I've got 14 hours contact time a week and loads of reading and exercises to do, especially in Spanish, more than half my workload is from Spanish alone. I expected Spanish to be the easiest, and Chinese the hardest!
I'm in 2nd yr now, and finding the work load picking up abit... We found first yr pretty light though. Maybe because we went though the IB program. We're used to having 6 full courses. Coming to Edinburgh and having to only take only 3 per semester was a nice surprise! My friends who stayed back in North America all have 6 subjects per term and are struggling with physics, 2 maths, biology, biochem, and immunology whereas I just have 3 bio courses.
Feef
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Woo, I wondered what happened to this thread.

Workload picking up a bit in second year, though I have fewer tutorials, which is nice - most of my classes are so small now they feel like them anyway. East Asian Civ 2 being the exception, as they're teaching the fresher in the same class as us - had a few weeks in the faculty rooms at DHT with people ending up sitting cross legged on the floor, so they moved us to a different building, where I swear the room is no bigger..

Good summer, lots of travelling, back to work at the Ladyboys of Bangkok for the festival (veery interesting). Still no student loan, which is a bit of a shame, as my rent's due in a few days and there's nothing in my account just now, besides a big numebr with a minus in front of it

Moving out of halls has been great, loved Darroch, but having a flat with a few mates is brilliant - even if we are now engaged in a full scale pranking war with some friends on Dalkeith Road

Greetings to all the freshers
arod
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not sure from your post if you're from the UK or not... If you're not a Brit, can I ask how did you get a job at the festival??
yossarianlives
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by michaelnicholson88)
Whoa! This thread's a bit of a blast from the past

Unfortunately I'm on my second strain of Freshers' Flu. Occupational hazard I suppose, of living and working in Pollock.
That ran through the 2nd year architecture studio horrendously. It was awful.

We all get infected with things as if we were kissing each other.
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To be fair...you are all kissing each other.
Feef
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by arod)
Not sure from your post if you're from the UK or not... If you're not a Brit, can I ask how did you get a job at the festival??
I'm from Essex originally (shudder), though my family moved to Austria when I left on my gap year adventures.

I got the job through the EdFringe forums, it was basically a case of checking there as often as possible to find new threads in the employment section. I left it right until the last minute (was over visiting family and bumbling about eastern Europe), so I actually got the job the day after the festival started. Turns out someone who was meant to be working there hadn't turned up or such, so I just jumped on it, no interview, start the next day. Score

..But yeah, I am a Brit anyway, though I guess there's no reason why someone from abroad couldn't do the same thing. I was working with a polish girl and an australian, as well as one other Edinburgh student and performers from all over the place, fairly international gathering!
yossarianlives
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by michaelnicholson88)
To be fair...you are all kissing each other.
If only...

As one of ym friends is proving, architecture student relations are horribly awkward. I think he is just awkward period, though.
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
'Tis true. Our department is turning into a bit of a Disney film - Law School Musical!

(Apologies)
arod
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Feef)
I'm from Essex originally (shudder), though my family moved to Austria when I left on my gap year adventures.

I got the job through the EdFringe forums, it was basically a case of checking there as often as possible to find new threads in the employment section. I left it right until the last minute (was over visiting family and bumbling about eastern Europe), so I actually got the job the day after the festival started. Turns out someone who was meant to be working there hadn't turned up or such, so I just jumped on it, no interview, start the next day. Score

..But yeah, I am a Brit anyway, though I guess there's no reason why someone from abroad couldn't do the same thing. I was working with a polish girl and an australian, as well as one other Edinburgh student and performers from all over the place, fairly international gathering!
Excellent, thanks. I thought you would need a work permit or visa or something.. This year I will have to pay for my flat during the summer months and initially thought I'd go back home, but since I have to pay for the flat I figured I'd try to find work here in Edinburgh instead. Then again the festival is only on for a few weeks right?? Hmmm, what to do with the remaining 2.5 months?
michaelnicholson88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Accommodation Services usually have jobs going- domestic staff, porters, etc at Pollock Halls. They run all summer and are usually day jobs, so you'd be able to juggle the festival work with that. Just a suggestion.
MissSmith
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i just noticed that there are rather a lot of people doing Chinese/EAC and stuff. Feef... you are doing EAC two? are you doing chinese 2A or 2B?

im so tired... i cant believe we are into essay time already. even my previously sweet and lovely zhong wen laoshi, zhuang laoshi, is giving us a small story to write in chinese and it has to be 300 words... i dont think i KNOW three hundred words!!!! :eek:

its nice to hear from you all again, good to know that you are all still alive :cool:

x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads