This discussion is closed.
Tikara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by master y)
loook pls
it's talking about inserting DNA into a gene so you know that it's cutting in some part of the child's DNA. if a proto-oncogene was cut into the proto-oncogene would stop working and therefore not stimulate cell division.

A proto-oncogene only leads to cancer if there is a mutation (leading to an oncogene).

it must be the tumour suppressor gene that the DNA is inserted in the middle of, inactivating it

hope that helped!
homeworkwiz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are stretch mediated sodium channels basically sodium ion channels whose permeability changes according to its shape which relies on pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
neelam123h
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone please explain restriction mapping to me please.

Thanks
BetsieB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could someone summerise in VIVO cloning please

Posted from TSR Mobile
loveheartsandall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi all,

On page 241 of the AQA biology text books, it talks about how siRNA is derived from DOUBLE STRANDED RNA. My question is since when were RNA double stranded? I thought both mRNA and tRNA were single-stranded polynucleotide chains?
iop horray
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by homeworkwiz)
Are stretch mediated sodium channels basically sodium ion channels whose permeability changes according to its shape which relies on pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes , as a stretch mediated sodium ion channel is one which is along the plasma membrane of the sensory neurone present within the centre of the pacinian corpuscle. When pressure is applied to the pacinain corpuscle , as it responds to mechanical stimuli, it would cause it to change shape and as an result cause the plasma membrane of the sensory neurone to stretch. This stretching of the plasma membrane would causes the sodium ion channels to widen and consequently increases the permeability of the sodium ions as before the sodium ion channels weren't wide enough to allow sodium ions to move across. This would allow an influx of positively charge sodium ions to diffuse in to the axon of the sensory neurone which creates an generator potential. If the generator potential exceeds an certain value it would result in an action potential being created. Hope this helps x
anniedink
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do we need to know about REpolarisation? Because its not on the spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fergy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anniedink)

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes we do
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anniedink)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its pretty simple. The inside of a neurone returns to its negatively charged state by actively transporting NA+ ions out and K+ ions in, returning back to its resting potential.
ahmmm
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
anyone got any model essays?
SamEastie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tikara)
restriction mapping is cutting a large piece of DNA into smaller chunks using restriction endonucleases so that these chunks' DNA sequence can be determined by DNA sequencing.

this is because very large pieces of DNA are hard to work out the sequence of through DNA sequencing so they're cut into manageable chunks and pieced back together in the correct order to have the whole DNA base sequence.

(what my CGP book says :P)
okay thanks..
but i dont understand what the use of knowing how many bases are between each restriction site? is that just so, after they've been cut, they can be put back in the correct order?
currydud
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
can someone explain 2c for me please?
the mark scheme says ATP causes cross bridges to form and is needed pull the actin. but in the book, it says ATP attaches to the myosin head after actin has been pulled and causes to detach cross bridges?!
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN12.PDF
JenLivYoung
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This time next week it will all be over! Keep going guys, not long left *dances* *In a scared way*
Spellstheend
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The essays are never too specific are they?
GemG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What are people doing in terms of questions in prep for the exam? I'm going to do the past papers obviously but as the exam is only sat in the summer there are only a few. Is the specimen paper really different to the actual ones? Are there any sites (a sister to A-Level Chemistry perhaps) that have past paper questions related directly to the syllabus?

Thanks
charch95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by currydud)
can someone explain 2c for me please?
the mark scheme says ATP causes cross bridges to form and is needed pull the actin. but in the book, it says ATP attaches to the myosin head after actin has been pulled and causes to detach cross bridges?!
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN12.PDF
The mark scheme says this:
(Idea ATP is needed for 1. Attachment/cross bridges between actin and myosin; 2. ‘Power stroke’ / movement of myosin heads / pulling of actin; 3. Detachment of myosin heads; 4. Myosin heads move back/to original position / ‘recovery stroke’;

p.191 of Nelson Thornes AQA text book says energy released from ATP is used for the movement of myosin heads.
Also if little ATP is produced in people with McArdle's disease, there will be less hydrolysis of ATP to ADP and Pi. The book says hyrdrolysis of ATP to ADP by ATPase provides the energy for the myosin head to resume its normal position. Then it says, Myosin head now attaches to the binding site on the actin filament (hence the cross bridge is formed between the actin and myosin filament). So maybe this questions doesn't specifically mean ATP (as in ATP molecule fixing to myosin head) but about ATP and the hydrolsis of it because if there is little ATP present then less energy will be provided for muscle contraction.

Sorry if that doesn't quite make sense, hard to describe my point, but hope that helps in some way
currydud
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by charch95)
Sorry if that doesn't quite make sense, hard to describe my point, but hope that helps in some way
thanks just a stupid question I guess haha
Zazuwaved
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Need a bit of clarification on two things if somebody wouldn't mind

Genetic fingerprinting, (using PCR) is this just to separate out the non-coding repeats from the whole sample of DNA, with primers being specific to the repeating sequences? Also is it the primers that have the fluorescent tag?

second,
During thermoregulation, are the thermoreceptors that detect change in blood temperature IN the hypothalamus or just on the walls of arteries (is this a similar mechanism to control of heart rate- where receptors send impulse to the hypothalamus, which then sends impulses to effectors)?

Thank you :
samfreak
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i got 84 in bio4, could i still be abl to fet an a star overall? do i hav to get atleast 90% in BOTH bio 4+5 for me to get an a star?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gulzar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samfreak)
i got 84 in bio4, could i still be abl to fet an a star overall? do i hav to get atleast 90% in BOTH bio 4+5 for me to get an a star?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes 90% across all a2 units including practicals. Plus you need at least A in AS alone.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads