Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Nah, remember what Clara said in the last episode "11 faces, all of them you". 11, not 12. Smith is that time-lords 12 regeneration, but he's the 11th doctor.

Oh, and afaik the 13 regenerations limit only applied when the time lords were around to enforce it (it's a political limit, not biological) Given they're locked in the time war, they can't enforce it and the doctor could conceivably keep on regenerating until he wants to stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually no it wasn't a political limit, at least in the sense that they could only get say 13 lives in a cycle as such since they were able to revive the Master and give him a new set as after the 12th life had ended I doubt they could magically stop a regeneration.

In Maydryn Undead the people were locked in permanent regeneration cycles from stolen technology but were no more than zombies

Also you would have to take into account I doubt the Time Lords would want limits on their soldiers during the Time War

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Courtesy of the Guardian Picture Desk <3

"A Dalek made of straw created by Snugburys ice cream shop in a field near Nantwich in Cheshire. For over 10 years the owners of the ice cream shop have been building amazing straw sculptures in their field along side Chester Road. This year's sculpture coincides with the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. Photograph: Peter Byrne/PA"

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2013...phs-of-the-day

:daydreaming:
    I saw it yesterday, it was a complete surprise. I went there just for the ice cream :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Actually no it wasn't a political limit, at least in the sense that they could only get say 13 lives in a cycle as such since they were able to revive the Master and give him a new set as after the 12th life had ended I doubt they could magically stop a regeneration.

In Maydryn Undead the people were locked in permanent regeneration cycles from stolen technology but were no more than zombies

Also you would have to take into account I doubt the Time Lords would want limits on their soldiers during the Time War
    Ahh your last point is a very good one actually. And lol epic giant straw dalek!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, not long to go now!

If we assume that series 8 might be Steven Moffat's last series, can anyone else imagine him trolling the fans by introducing a female Doctor for just the one year? If anyone would do that, it's him.

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Wow, not long to go now!

If we assume that series 8 might be Steven Moffat's last series, can anyone else imagine him trolling the fans by introducing a female Doctor for just the one year? If anyone would do that, it's him.
    Urgh, I doubt he would. I really don't like Moffat as a person

I wonder how he'll write the 12th Doctor? It's always seemed to me like Moffat has a very limited range of characters he can write. I'm scared that he'll write 12 with a very similar personality (all the quirkiness and goofiness) to 11.

ReputationRep:
    For the 12th, I think they might be ginger, but then I don't know who would play him/her.. I also think it should be someone unknown and new (or at least not very famous) because then everyone won't have any preconceptions about how they should act and people would be comparing them to the other characters they've played. Someone said it might be the one that played Q in skyfall! And whilst he looks rather doctor-ish, I think his look might be too similar to Matt Smith etc.. I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER DAY

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by caryswww)
    For the 12th, I think they might be ginger, but then I don't know who would play him/her.. I also think it should be someone unknown and new (or at least not very famous) because then everyone won't have any preconceptions about how they should act and people would be comparing them to the other characters they've played. Someone said it might be the one that played Q in skyfall! And whilst he looks rather doctor-ish, I think his look might be too similar to Matt Smith etc.. I CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER DAY

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd love him to be ginger. Both 10 and 11 expressed disappointment at not being ginger! I want the Doctor to get his wish.

But tbh, I just really really really want it to be Capaldi :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)

I wonder how he'll write the 12th Doctor? It's always seemed to me like Moffat has a very limited range of characters he can write. I'm scared that he'll write 12 with a very similar personality (all the quirkiness and goofiness) to 11.
    Yeah... That's another reason I'd like the 12th Doctor to last for just one series. I really hope the sitcom-style 'banter' is brought down a notch. Though it'd be interesting to see how a transition between production teams would be handled with the same Doctor.

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Yeah... That's another reason I'd like the 12th Doctor to last for just one series. I really hope the sitcom-style 'banter' is brought down a notch. Though it'd be interesting to see how a transition between production teams would be handled with the same Doctor.
    God, the "banter". :rolleyes: I really do hope they tone that down :|

I am so excited for this. :happy2:

ReputationRep:
    As soon as I saw Capaldi was the bookies favourite, I don't want anyone else to do it. He would be awesome at it - can be funny, a bit dry and definitely dark.

Could be the ideal turn for the Doctor, particularly if the 50th is going to be particularly traumatic/the Time Lords and Daleks somehow escape Time Lock...

ReputationRep:
    I'd love him to be ginger. Both 10 and 11 expressed disappointment at not being ginger! I want the Doctor to get his wish.

But tbh, I just really really really want it to be Capaldi :daydreaming:
    Darn bookies getting us excited! Not that they've ever been right but apparently Daniel Rigby is a favourite but no, he's a great actor but he just doesn't look 'right' the way Matt Smith does.

Here's some of the odds atm:
    Peter Capaldi 13/8
    Daniel Rigby 5/2
    Ben Daniels 4/1
    Rory Kinnear 6/1
    David Harewood 10/1
    Ben Whishaw 14/1
    Idris Elba 16/1
    Chiwetel Ejifor 16/1
    Russell Tovey 16/1
    Sheridan Smith 20/1
    Sophie Okonedo 25/1
    Hugh Bonneville 25/1
    Damian Lewis 50/1
    Eddie Redmaybe 25/1
    Phillip Glenister 25/1
    Olivia Colman 33/1
    David Mitchell 33/1
    James Corden 50/1
    Hugh Grant 50/1
    Katherine Kelly 50/1

Can't say I care for most of them tbh but most sound rather rediculous.

Is it because he's a 'troll' or for another reason? I see a lot of moffat hate yet i'm not really sure why (outside of silly sexism allegations).

He certainly has a way he likes to write his main characters but i'd like it if they went back to Hartnell level of sheer grumpiness :yep: Though judging by the audition script it will be the same 'old goofiness which I don't mind too much.

ReputationRep:
    Only just recognised Daniel Rigby as the bloke off the BT ads. Do. Not. Want.

Peter Capaldi is awesome in The Thick of It but I'm not sure if I want him as the Doctor. And there really is no one else on that list I'm remotely interested in seeing as the Doctor (maybe David Mitchell).

Richard Madden or unknown pls.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who doesn't want it to Peter Capalidi? :erm:

(Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Darn bookies getting us excited! Not that they've ever been right but apparently Daniel Rigby is a favourite but no, he's a great actor but he just doesn't look 'right' the way Matt Smith does.

Here's some of the odds atm:
    Peter Capaldi 13/8
    Daniel Rigby 5/2
    Ben Daniels 4/1
    Rory Kinnear 6/1
    David Harewood 10/1
    Ben Whishaw 14/1
    Idris Elba 16/1
    Chiwetel Ejifor 16/1
    Russell Tovey 16/1
    Sheridan Smith 20/1
    Sophie Okonedo 25/1
    Hugh Bonneville 25/1
    Damian Lewis 50/1
    Eddie Redmaybe 25/1
    Phillip Glenister 25/1
    Olivia Colman 33/1
    David Mitchell 33/1
    James Corden 50/1
    Hugh Grant 50/1
    Katherine Kelly 50/1

Can't say I care for most of them tbh but most sound rather rediculous.

Is it because he's a 'troll' or for another reason? I see a lot of moffat hate yet i'm not really sure why (outside of silly sexism allegations).

He certainly has a way he likes to write his main characters but i'd like it if they went back to Hartnell level of sheer grumpiness :yep: Though judging by the audition script it will be the same 'old goofiness which I don't mind too much.
    I didn't know who Daniel Rigby is so I looked him up, and he's that guy off that advert! I *REALLY* don't want it to be him! :cry2:

From that list, my first choice is Capaldi, second choice is Ben Daniels.

I don't like Moffat because I just find him really smug. I don't mind that he's a troll or that he lies, particularly, but I think that he thinks he's a better showrunner/writer than he is.
    I don't know if he's sexist or not, but I don't like the way he writes women characters tbh. :erm:

I don't have much faith in him to write convincingly for the 12th Doctor. I mean, 11 and Sherlock have incredibly similar personalities. That's definitely the type of character Moffat likes to write for. I feel like 12 will just be another 11. :erm: Hopefully whichever actor is picked will be able to make the role their own, though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Only just recognised Daniel Rigby as the bloke off the BT ads. Do. Not. Want.
    He did win the Bafta for his role in the Morcambe and Wise production, which he is great in, but yeah, it'll take a lot to convince me of him. I want my Doctor older preferably.

Peter Capaldi is awesome in The Thick of It but I'm not sure if I want him as the Doctor. And there really is no one else on that list I'm remotely interested in seeing as the Doctor (maybe David Mitchell).

Richard Madden or unknown pls.
    David Mitchell would actually be pretty funny as a one off His nasal voice would strike fear into the heart of all cybermen.

Maybe they could do another comic relief ep where they just rattle through all the people who would make awesome Doctors, give them one quip, then kill them off.

ReputationRep:
    Peter Capaldi is the only one who I could see as the doctor, fantastic actor.

ReputationRep:

I don't like Moffat because I just find him really smug. I don't mind that he's a troll or that he lies, particularly, but I think that he thinks he's a better showrunner/writer than he is.
    I don't know if he's sexist or not, but I don't like the way he writes women characters tbh. :erm:

I don't have much faith in him to write convincingly for the 12th Doctor. I mean, 11 and Sherlock have incredibly similar personalities. That's definitely the type of character Moffat likes to write for. I feel like 12 will just be another 11. :erm: Hopefully whichever actor is picked will be able to make the role their own, though!
    At one point I saw Bill Baiely as a 100/1 choice. That would actually make my life.

To be fair, if I woke up every day to see some BAFTA's on the shelf, I think I would be pretty smug But yeah, you see it a bit in Sherlock where you're sure they think it's cleverer than what it is but I still like him more than Davies (see 'Revaltions' for something thinking it's more profound than what it is) and he comes off as a nice enough bloke whenever i've seen him. I guess when you're head of two massive series, do loads of interviews all the time you're not going to be able to show yourself at your best.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love it to be Peter Capaldi, he's fantastic.

I would be expecting him to go into a Malcolm Tucker inspired tirade of swearing at the Daleks though

If it is Capaldi there'll be a double explanation needed for earlier appearances - as Caecilius in Fires of Pompeii, and John Frobisher in Torchwood Children of Earth.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    If it is Capaldi there'll be a double explanation needed for earlier appearances - as Caecilius in Fires of Pompeii, and John Frobisher in Torchwood Children of Earth.
    Well, they never bothered explaining Amy's appearance in Fires of Pompeii

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Well, they never bothered explaining Amy's appearance in Fires of Pompeii

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, but they sometimes take the time to do it. Like with Martha and her 'cousin'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.