Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Can't stop

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs: Hope you're keeping yourself safe? I saw in one of your earlier posts there's stuff you wanted to talk about but couldn't as it broke the rules, but if you want to you're more than welcome to pm me, even if it's just to vent or whatever
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by thatsthebadger93)
    :hugs: Hope you're keeping yourself safe? I saw in one of your earlier posts there's stuff you wanted to talk about but couldn't as it broke the rules, but if you want to you're more than welcome to pm me, even if it's just to vent or whatever
    I think I should be fine, safe anyway. It's going to be a really difficult night and I texted my friend but they haven't replied but i'm just going to have to try and cope until morning. Thank you so much for the offer. I think i'm going to try to get to sleep soon cos otherwise my parents will start questioning. Hopefully my friend will reply in the morning. I really need her help. :'( xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by octoberbaby)
    got in a huge fight with my brother about this a few hours ago and it's literally made me lose all respect for him. I can't stand people either
    Yeah seeing my parents in a couple of weeks is going to be interesting. My mum has a habit of preempting a lot of what she says with "I'm not racist but..."

Try not to write all (or most) people off. We don't exist in a bubble and people who preach extremist views tend to have their own insecurities and gripes about things. They're very misguided and obviously I never condone violence or bullying of any kind but I don't think it serves anyone to get irate about it.
    A certain amount of anger or indignance can be useful but more than that can also be unhealthy. Your main priority is to look after yourself and your mental health and it doesn't sound like having a fight with your brother is going to help that. The angrier we get the more personal attacks tend to become and that makes you less likely to be able to get somebody to see your point of view.

Hope things between you and your brother cool off soon. :hugs:

(Original post by SciFiRory)
    probably aye, I dunno why I try on here sometimes.

tbh it's not even so much posts I had with people so much as just the news/reading threads or things online that brings me down, but yeah that guy didn't help.

that stuff was so depressing yeah, I'm just glad that I avoided the racist/xenophobic facebook stuff cause most of my friends on there are fellow lefties.

true, I guess I just care far too much about things, not even sure how I got to care so much but I do, depresses me greatly all the stuff on here, the news and just people in general tbh.
    I don't think the internet or the media in general give a very representative view of the general public. I disagree with a lot of stuff I see and read online, and the media will always focus on stories that have the most shock-value, but in day-to-day life I tend to get along ok.

Maybe focus on changing the world on a smaller scale? I greatly enjoy correcting friends who make off-hand misogynistic comments and I'm ever hopeful that if I can open one person's eyes then they'll "pay it forward" (great film, if you haven't seen it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I think I should be fine, safe anyway. It's going to be a really difficult night and I texted my friend but they haven't replied but i'm just going to have to try and cope until morning. Thank you so much for the offer. I think i'm going to try to get to sleep soon cos otherwise my parents will start questioning. Hopefully my friend will reply in the morning. I really need her help. :'( xxxx
    Hope you get to sleep soon, at least then you don't have to worry about keeping yourself safe for so long :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nut.)
    Yeah seeing my parents in a couple of weeks is going to be interesting. My mum has a habit of preempting a lot of what she says with "I'm not racist but..."

the WORST phrase and 95% of the time the next statement IS racist. Saying "I'm not racist" does not mean you can freely spout racist bullcrap. Thank you very much I' sure it'll be okay soon enough, he was pretty drunk which probably just heightened emotions haha.

What is pay it forward?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nut.)
    I don't think the internet or the media in general give a very representative view of the general public. I disagree with a lot of stuff I see and read online, and the media will always focus on stories that have the most shock-value, but in day-to-day life I tend to get along ok.

Maybe focus on changing the world on a smaller scale? I greatly enjoy correcting friends who make off-hand misogynistic comments and I'm ever hopeful that if I can open one person's eyes then they'll "pay it forward" (great film, if you haven't seen it).
    The problem is that shock value sells news better. Also, a lot of people are idiots.

the WORST phrase and 95% of the time the next statement IS racist. Saying "I'm not racist" does not mean you can freely spout racist bullcrap. Thank you very much I' sure it'll be okay soon enough, he was pretty drunk which probably just heightened emotions haha.

What is pay it forward?
    Anything prefaced with "I'm not <something> but" often is <something>.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    That was creepy! I came onto TSR a minute after you quoted me.

Everything is incrementally backed up so if I ruin anything I can bounce back. I'm at a place where I feel like I have something to be happy with (except for those lights but I PM'd you about those) so I just need to tidy up (I think I have unnecessary repetition but all that can easily wait until you're free to pick fault with it/point out major problems.

I'm looking at the report this evening (5 hours at uni/travelling have tired me out) so I'll follow your advice and add in pointers. There's probably a few bits I can type tonight (HCI, usability and testing methods are all areas I can quickly write up) but I'm trying to avoid freaking out over everything.

I just feel drained and pulled all over the place. I would literally be crazy without you.
    Haha - my reply was much slower however

Thats good - it is a good habit to get into in general. Once you are done, then I will happily look over the code and with the report, if we get someone who can check the grammar and style, I am happy to check the technical content for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nut.)

I guess that's true to an extent yeah, though the opinion polls are pretty depressing as well so idk what to think really, I met a lot more nice people IRL too thankfully, I think Uni helped though as there tend to be more people there with my views

I guess so, I try to correct people if they say stuff yeah, though sometimes people just won't listen sadly, I haven't im afraid, will have to add it to my long list of films I need to see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    Hey buddy, has something happened? You aint a fat lump or anything like that. What's going on :hugs: Is your gf with you?
    dont worry hell be right as reign tomorrow when he sees me.

(Original post by 08batee)
    Oh you're not at all, don't be silly! :console: You DO belong, you've a lot to give. And you have a lovely girlfriend who I'm sure cares for you very much and thinks you belong. So even if you can't believe some random person from TSR, please try and take on board what the people closest to you think.You're lovely, I promise Rory. We all care for you here, and people care for you in real life too - they wouldn't care if you were disgusting or didn't belong. :hugs: Please text/PM me if you need anything. I doubt I'll be on Skype tonight but please know you can contact me if you ever want to talk :hugs:
    he actually looks after me and helps me more than he realises and more than i can look after him!

you guys have literally been saying to him exactly what i have, so i hope he listens to you guys

(Original post by SciFiRory)
    just fed up of everything in this world. I am though, I disgust myself. she's on Skype to me, I don't know why though, I wouldn't want to talk to me if I was her.
    well i do want to talk to you, and its you that wouldnt answer the skype call :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    iv just realised how much of a selfish brat i really am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfgah)
    You have anyone you could talk to about your dissertation (in a semi-academic way)? I don't mean like a tutor or someone you'd be kind of trying to impress, just maybe a friend who is interested in what you are writing your dissertation on?

I wonder if your study coach's point is that if you take some of the pressure off yourself, you might start to want to do it. I know when I'm feeling really pressured to do something it just makes me want to do it less and less. Maybe having a chat with an interested person about your dissertation subject could help spark your own interest a bit? :hugs:
    Every time I try and go into any kind of detail with it I just start crying and my brain stops working properly. Before things got worse I was really enthusiastic about it and I enjoyed talking about it with my study coach and other people, but now I can't focus on it at all, and if I don't make myself think about it I just end up forgetting about it altogether...

I do get what you mean, and ideally I would like to enjoy working on my dissertation and for it not to be such a struggle, but I'm just not sure how that'll work out in the real world.

Hope you're doing ok.

(Original post by rmhumphries)

Thats good - it is a good habit to get into in general. Once you are done, then I will happily look over the code and with the report, if we get someone who can check the grammar and style, I am happy to check the technical content for you
    *volunteers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    well i do want to talk to you, and its you that wouldnt answer the skype call :lovehug:
    yeah yeah I know thank you though, you are always amazing! :lovehug:

(Original post by PonchoKid)
    iv just realised how much of a selfish brat i really am
    rubbish read the above, you just helped me and stuff so you know you aren't.

ReputationRep:

What is pay it forward?
    It's a film (Kevin Spacey and Haley Joel Osment) based around an idea a kid has to improve the world where one person does something for someone else and that person "pays it forward" to three other people and the chain continues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything prefaced with "I'm not <something> but" often is <something>.
    Or "no offence, but..."/"[offensive/derogatory comment], no offence." Just because someone says "no offence," it doesn't automatically remove any offence made in that comment!!! In joking conversations I don't mind it, but sometimes it is just used for people to try and cover their tracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nut.)
    It's a film (Kevin Spacey and Haley Joel Osment) based around an idea a kid has to improve the world where one person does something for someone else and that person "pays it forward" to three other people and the chain continues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds good. When my exams are over and I have so much free time to fill I am going to watch it.

ReputationRep:
    Really ****ing struggling :cry: Can't sleep, am hallucinating :cry: everything's horrible, I have no control any more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08batee)
    Really ****ing struggling :cry: Can't sleep, am hallucinating :cry: everything's horrible, I have no control any more

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs: is there anything you can do to take your mind off the hallucinations? am here if you wanna chat!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Felt really stupid going to bed with a plaster stuck to my face but hey it got the job done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'm feeling very good about myself, my situation, my future. Even the crappy bits that are not going to be easy like the thought of having to come back for year 2 again are not getting me down. It feels really wrong. I feel like I should be crying or angry or emotionless, but I'm not. I'm ok. That is weird.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad

Well I have my literature PhD girlfriend for the style and grammar checks and there isn't anything too technical although I haven't studied physics for over 10 years now so that could be interesting but even then it's the most basic GCSE level stuff or just common sense so I'm hoping that's going to help.

Really feeling like it's knocking all of the energy out of me now. I just can't stand to look at it. My code is a little embarrassing and my bugs all act pretty much the same for now because I need the 'lights' for the bugs to interact with. At least my report is almost done. I have supervision on Tuesday when he wants to see the report so my plan was to write that from today until Tuesday so it's almost entirely finished (and I can create my prezi then too) and then have Tuesday until the 17th (although it'd be better if it's done by the 14th) to get it all done. Raycasting is super hard I just wish there was a box2dlights for c++. We used it for our java demo but I don't think I'd get away with creating a java program for a dissertation titled "A C++ Graphical Simulation..."

Then I just have a 15 minute presentation followed by a 15 minute demonstration and 30 minutes of questions to worry about.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.