The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jordanmoss
Bit of a change in conversation direction, but just wondered whether anyone had heard anything about funding yet for 2016-onwards? Ive had my eyes open but I haven't seen anything so far! If they haven't announced it yet, they're leaving it a bit late..... :smile:

I assume there aren't any changes to previous funding if nothing has been announced :smile:
Hey guys,

First time posting on here.. I am a hospital pharmacist applying to do graduate medicine, been struggling with my UKCAT and judging by my mock scores will be pushed to get a score of anything above 700. Was also looking at non graduate medicine but my A-Levels are ABC (IT, Chemistry and Biology).. This might seem a stupid question.. but I'm guessing that non-graduate courses don't take into account the fact that you have a degree if you don't first meet the A-Level requirements.

Cheers,
Will
Original post by willfletcher1
Hey guys,

First time posting on here.. I am a hospital pharmacist applying to do graduate medicine, been struggling with my UKCAT and judging by my mock scores will be pushed to get a score of anything above 700. Was also looking at non graduate medicine but my A-Levels are ABC (IT, Chemistry and Biology).. This might seem a stupid question.. but I'm guessing that non-graduate courses don't take into account the fact that you have a degree if you don't first meet the A-Level requirements.

Cheers,
Will

Good luck with your UKCAT!

With regards to 5 year courses it depends where you apply. Some places will take your degree instead of A-levels such as Sheffield. You will have to look at schools you are thinking of applying to individually to look at their requirements for graduates. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberry93
Hi, I think that a score of 80% should give a score of over 55 but it is very difficult to say as the scoring system has not been made clear and it depends on the performance of the cohort for that year. I have been averaging 60% in section 1 and 50% in section 3, and after your post I am VERY worried :/
How have you been doing in section 3?
Are you of a humanities or sciences background if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I am humanities/ languages as you may have guessed :smile: I also have to MA research which helps. To reassure you, I got 44% on my practice section 3 yesterday and that was guessing many many questions with absolutely no idea what they meant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW

With regards to 5 year courses it depends where you apply. Some places will take your degree instead of A-levels such as Sheffield. You will have to look at schools you are thinking of applying to individually to look at their requirements for graduates. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! Thanks very much for that information :smile:! I am aware of the funding issues for non-graduate medicine if you have already completed a degree but I will have a look in more detail as a back up.

Does anyone know off the top of their heads which 5 year courses are more likely to accept students who have already completed degrees who do not have the required A-Levels?
Original post by LuceeeeeT
I am humanities/ languages as you may have guessed :smile: I also have to MA research which helps. To reassure you, I got 44% on my practice section 3 yesterday and that was guessing many many questions with absolutely no idea what they meant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems impossible to be great at both sections. I have a science background and seem to be doing better in section 1! An MA will definitely help you not just in terms of sitting the GAMSAT but I believe they could lower the offer for you.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by KirstieW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffield still ask for BBB!
Hi ive been watching this thread but thought it's about time to ask the dreaded question.
Average school grades
BSc and MSc graduate. Currently working full time in a clinical role.
UKCAT: 665 :VR lowest with 560
I'm guessing this isn't Good enough for any GEM schools.
What do you think the odds are for warwick? -If not I will only be applying to UG courses.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ali.s1002
Sheffield still ask for BBB!

Ah do they, sorry for the misinformation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProNick
Hi ive been watching this thread but thought it's about time to ask the dreaded question.
Average school grades
BSc and MSc graduate. Currently working full time in a clinical role.
UKCAT: 665 :VR lowest with 560
I'm guessing this isn't Good enough for any GEM schools.
What do you think the odds are for warwick? -If not I will only be applying to UG courses.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick is a long shot but worth a try surely, especially as you have an MSc which will lower the cutoff for you.
Reply 1910
Original post by HCAssistant93
Hey there.

I think maybe you should apply to 5 year courses if you want to get a feel for the UCAS process. Sheffield and Keele would possibly take that result. Without offending you, 578 is too low for any grad course and you would most likely get straight rejections through UCAS which makes that learning curve a bit of a dead end.

I'd look at applying to Sheffield, Keele and Manchester if I were you! Good luck and well done in the exam. It is a bitch and anyone who does it should be commended.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya HCAssistant are you applying again or did you get into Leicester in the end?
Reply 1911
Original post by gemedic94
Hiya,
I would love some general opinions on my GEM application. I'm about to start my research based masters fourth year in Biomedicine (I'll be based in a neuroscience lab). I have numerous experiences with shadowing doctors and I work as a care assistant in a dementia home.
I scored 2930 on UKCAT (average 732.5) with:
VR = 790
QR = 640
AR = 840
DA = 660
Band 1 SJ.
My UKCAT scores are slightly varied and I'm really not sure if the average in high enough to apply to Kings or Newcastle? I was thinking definitely Warwick, Barts and Southampton, but I'm not sure about the final slot. What do you think?
I'd appreciate any insight!!

There isnt any point asking about UKCAT cut off until the results are published and you can compare how you did with the other people who took it.

Last year your score would have been good enough for an interview at every ukcat uni, if you had got that score the year before it would not have been good enough for unis such as kings and newcastle , i think that year it was about 780...there was about a 60- 80 drop in average from 2013 to 2014... it varies each year
Is everyone who is doing the ukcat going to wait for average results or do you think it's beneficial to send off you application before this?
Original post by windnamer27
Is everyone who is doing the ukcat going to wait for average results or do you think it's beneficial to send off you application before this?

There's no benefit what so ever to sending your application off early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by windnamer27

I am sending my application off by the end of this week.

I don't see the point in waiting for the end of testing data because even if the the average UKCAT score increases significantly it wouldn't change my med school choices.

As Kirstie has said there is no benefit to an earlier application because they won't get our admission test results till November.
Original post by EssBee_92
I am sending my application off by the end of this week.

I don't see the point in waiting for the end of testing data because even if the the average UKCAT score increases significantly it wouldn't change my med school choices.

As Kirstie has said there is no benefit to an earlier application because they won't get our admission test results till November.

I see. Cheers both.
Reply 1916
Hey all,
Hope your applications are all going well! I've posted here before but I just did my UKCAT and averaged 680 (which I know isn't the greatest score for GEM). Break of sections
VR: 650
QR: 740
AR: 690
DA: 640 (majorly disappointed as this was usually my strongest section)
SJ - Band 2

Do you think this score is good enough to try for Warwick?

Other information:
GCSEs: 4A*, 4A and 2B
A-levels: A* (maths), A (chemistry), B (biology), AS A(geography)
Degree: 1st class in biomedical sciences.
MSc starting in October 2015: Cardiovascular science at UCL

Which universities should I definitely stay away from? And which ones should I give a go for GEM (if any)?

Thank you all :smile:
Original post by yanjac

Do you think this score is good enough to try for Warwick?

Hi there, you might sneak in the Warwick cutoff as you are doing a masters and have a first (somebody in the Warwick thread who went to an open day this year said that Warwick are scoring on degree classification). Maybe worth going for Southampton as you have chemistry A level?

High UKCAT unis such as Kings and Newcastle may be a stretch too far (unless there is a swing in the overall mean this year), however people have been predicting Kings cutoff score to go down this year, as they will have less applicants due to them only accepting science degrees now.

You could always try 5 year courses too, if you can find the money from somewhere.

Good luck!
Original post by liam__
Hi there, you might sneak in the Warwick cutoff as you are doing a masters and have a first (somebody in the Warwick thread who went to an open day this year said that Warwick are scoring on degree classification). Maybe worth going for Southampton as you have chemistry A level?

High UKCAT unis such as Kings and Newcastle may be a stretch too far (unless there is a swing in the overall mean this year), however people have been predicting Kings cutoff score to go down this year, as they will have less applicants due to them only accepting science degrees now.

You could always try 5 year courses too, if you can find the money from somewhere.

Good luck!

I don't think there's any point in applying to Southampton, to be honest. They invite people to interview in the same way that Newcastle do- ie purely on UKCAT score- so with 680 I don't think you'd be safely inside the cutoff for either. However, that will depend on this year's deciles, so worth waiting until they're released before making a decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1919
Original post by liam__

Good luck!

Thank you! I might give Warwick a go in that case and I'll have a closer look at the Southampton requirements for GEM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending