ReputationRep:
    If someone can check Q6 2015 III for me
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466264958.446314.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  168.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    ok, well Ill deduct 1 just incase anyway , but thanks! But yeah I have to admit this was a much easier paper than usual for III. Normally I can get a 'healthy' S by about 5 or so marks, but think I got ~105,110 in this one. I just hope Thursdays isnt too much worse.
    Wishing you gl, although I'm fairly sure you'll have next to no problems in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I used a similar sort of idea but more rigorous
    Spoiler:
    Show
    n^2<2^n is equivalent to n/ln(n)>2/ln(2) and differentiation shows that n/ln(n) is strictly increasing for all n>e. 5>e and 5^2<2^5 so we can choose m=5 and we're done.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    yea I did look at this also, but Im always wary about assuming some parallel between functions of natural numbers and ones of the reals. Yeah it makes sense though, but I was a little cautious about showing I know we are talking about a sequence here not some continuous function. Its probably better to show the m=5 case this ur way though, its quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to4ka)
    Wishing you gl, although I'm fairly sure you'll have next to no problems in the real thing
    Thanks! and same to u too Im just gonna have fun hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    If anyone has the time give me a quick mark approximation from I and II (I didn't do great so should be that many marks to 'count' xD)
    STEP I
    Spoiler:
    Show

Q1 - Full, correct.
    Q2 - Did at last second, so only differentiated the terms but didn't get to full simplify - hopefully some credit? Might've got it wrong too, very rushed.
    Q3 - Did the full question but it seems a got a few things wrong, however I explained everything I did in a lot of detail (every point, every change etc) so hopefully lots of method marks? I think I got parts ii, iii and iv not perfect, with a few errors in each. Just assume I got them wrong I guess.
    Q7 - Got parts i and ii perfect, but was stuck on part iii. Did a good 10 minutes of work on iii but was unable to prove anything so there might be something to credit there? I specified quite a few things just couldn't put it all into a nice proof.
    Q8 - Only did part i: Got the first one correct, did the 2nd one but couldn't find Un for some reason, really obvious now I see it. Then of course I messed up the next part as I was unable to use the "hence" so had to try find it another way, in which I fully worked through but got the wrong answer.
    Q12 - Part i correct. Part ii I used the exact same method as part i but got the wrong answer so there must be a mistake in there. Part iii I worked through fully but didn't get any of it correct, used a multiple of p2 for the formula, but I couldn't find a way of getting p1 in there. So bascially got part iii completely wrong, just 30 minutes of work for nothing
    As you can tell, a few little mistakes led to some wrong answers and some big mess ups, but hopefully some credit throughout it. Hoping for a 2 but I've accepted I will be quite lucky to get that.
    STEP II
    Spoiler:
    Show

Q1 - Tried it but could not show they met on the curve c2. Spent way too long on Q1 because of my belief of them automatically being my best chance of a full solution About 3 pages of working and couldn't prove it xD
    Q2 - Correct part i(although didn't do any of this f(a,b,c) stuff I see everyone else did, but I got all the solutions correct). Part ii I worked mostly through and got x=2 but didn't have time to get the other two solutions.
    Q3 - Part i and ii perfect. Part iii I proved the f'n(a)f'n(b)<0 but could not figure out how to do the sketch part so stopped there.
    Q12 - I proved the first part and then got part i right and nothing after that.
    Really didn't want to completely fail this but it seems I have xD Really frustrating I forgot how to do the first part of Q7 so stupidly didn't bother doing it, looks an easy question now I look back. Also Q6 looked pretty nice. I screwed myself over by having so much faith in Q1, lost a full hour to that. Then saw Q2 and Q3 were doable so just automatically did them. Big mistake with time management and exam technique here.
    For II I reckon about 8+16+15 for the pure questions. Not sure about the stats though, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    yea I did look at this also, but Im always wary about assuming some parallel between functions of natural numbers and ones of the reals. Yeah it makes sense though, but I was a little cautious about showing I know we are talking about a sequence here not some continuous function. Its probably better to show the m=5 case this ur way though, its quite nice.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah it doesn't matter that n is an integer, since if n is increased then n/ln(n) is increased so n/ln(n)>2/ln(2) for all n greater than or equal to 5 (doesn't matter what m you choose anyway, could be 73 if you like).

ReputationRep:
    For II I reckon about 8+16+15 for the pure questions. Not sure about the stats though, sorry!
    Thanks mate I really appreciate it! So I probs got around 40-45, hopefully that'll get me a 3 at least xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah it doesn't matter that n is an integer, since if n is increased then n/ln(n) is increased so n/ln(n)>2/ln(2) for all n greater than or equal to 5 (doesn't matter what m you choose anyway, could be 73 if you like).
    Yep, makes sense I wont wimp about about this stuff in future
    Thanks mate I really appreciate it! So I probs got around 40-45, hopefully that'll get me a 3 at least xD
    Ah no I wouldnt worry about it, sure it wasnt too bad in the end. are u doing III?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much ECF (error carried forward) STEP give? For instance you get an answer which they've asked for but everything you did was 'wrong' because of a mistake at a start therefore you're answer is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Ah no I wouldnt worry about it, sure it wasnt too bad in the end. are u doing III?
    Yeah definitely. I seem to do a little better in III papers so hoping for at least a 2. If my results end up being 2,3,2 I won't be too upset (I've got a Comp Sci w/Maths offer, they want a 1,2 in II and III (any order) but they said if I miss STEP I can still go, just not do the w/Maths).

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has the time give me a quick mark approximation from I and II (I didn't do great so should be that many marks to 'count' xD)
    STEP I
    Spoiler:
    Show

Q1 - Full, correct.
    Q2 - Did at last second, so only differentiated the terms but didn't get to full simplify - hopefully some credit? Might've got it wrong too, very rushed.
    Q3 - Did the full question but it seems a got a few things wrong, however I explained everything I did in a lot of detail (every point, every change etc) so hopefully lots of method marks? I think I got parts ii, iii and iv not perfect, with a few errors in each. Just assume I got them wrong I guess.
    Q7 - Got parts i and ii perfect, but was stuck on part iii. Did a good 10 minutes of work on iii but was unable to prove anything so there might be something to credit there? I specified quite a few things just couldn't put it all into a nice proof.
    Q8 - Only did part i: Got the first one correct, did the 2nd one but couldn't find Un for some reason, really obvious now I see it. Then of course I messed up the next part as I was unable to use the "hence" so had to try find it another way, in which I fully worked through but got the wrong answer.
    Q12 - Part i correct. Part ii I used the exact same method as part i but got the wrong answer so there must be a mistake in there. Part iii I worked through fully but didn't get any of it correct, used a multiple of p2 for the formula, but I couldn't find a way of getting p1 in there. So bascially got part iii completely wrong, just 30 minutes of work for nothing
    As you can tell, a few little mistakes led to some wrong answers and some big mess ups, but hopefully some credit throughout it. Hoping for a 2 but I've accepted I will be quite lucky to get that.
    STEP II
    Spoiler:
    Show

Q1 - Tried it but could not show they met on the curve c2. Spent way too long on Q1 because of my belief of them automatically being my best chance of a full solution About 3 pages of working and couldn't prove it xD
    Q2 - Correct part i(although didn't do any of this f(a,b,c) stuff I see everyone else did, but I got all the solutions correct). Part ii I worked mostly through and got x=2 but didn't have time to get the other two solutions.
    Q3 - Part i and ii perfect. Part iii I proved the f'n(a)f'n(b)<0 but could not figure out how to do the sketch part so stopped there.
    Q12 - I proved the first part and then got part i right and nothing after that.
    Really didn't want to completely fail this but it seems I have xD Really frustrating I forgot how to do the first part of Q7 so stupidly didn't bother doing it, looks an easy question now I look back. Also Q6 looked pretty nice. I screwed myself over by having so much faith in Q1, lost a full hour to that. Then saw Q2 and Q3 were doable so just automatically did them. Big mistake with time management and exam technique here.
    For Q12, assuming part (i) was showing P(Ei), (and that you wrote down P(A U B U C U D)) I think you would get about 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewdjones)
    Does anyone know how much ECF (error carried forward) STEP give? For instance you get an answer which they've asked for but everything you did was 'wrong' because of a mistake at a start therefore you're answer is wrong?
    From what I can tell there's lots of method marks that are independent of the actual value of the numbers used. I get the vibe that STEP is mostly about the method, I'm sure they're very lenient on errors carried forward - would be silly for someone that didn't really understand the question (so say only answered part i) but made no mistakes to get more or even an equal number of marks to someone who fully understood it all but made an simple mistake halfway through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    For Q12, assuming part (i) was showing P(Ei), (and that you wrote down P(A U B U C U D)) I think you would get about 7.
    Cheers mate, about 46 isn't too awful for someone not applying for maths

How did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely. I seem to do a little better in III papers so hoping for at least a 2. If my results end up being 2,3,2 I won't be too upset (I've got a Comp Sci w/Maths offer, they want a 1,2 in II and III (any order) but they said if I miss STEP I can still go, just not do the w/Maths).

How about you?
    Nice! That must be a nice feeling to know theyve got u covered just incase . Yea my offers the typical 1,1 so ill be trying to hunt that S in III just to be safe

ReputationRep:
    Shoutout to everyone else doing their part in pulling the grade boundaries down so those elite super nerds can get the recognition they deserve

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, about 46 isn't too awful for someone not applying for maths

How did you do?
    Yeah, you'll breeze through NatSci maths. I think I did pretty well, hopefully in the 80s or high 70s. So now I just need a 2 in III (and to not mess up C3, C4 or physics).

ReputationRep:
    Nice! That must be a nice feeling to know theyve got u covered just incase . Yea my offers the typical 1,1 so ill be trying to hunt that S in III just to be safe
    Yeah if I'm honest though it meant I didn't try as hard as I should've, plus I did not expect an offer at all (expected my highest offer to be A*AA) so before Jan I pretty much did no curriculum study, just a ton of coding etc xD I reckon I could've hit the offer personally. Woow good luck, would be incredible if you could get an S :O Although I always see you updating us on your test scores with incredible results so I have 101% faith in you :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if I'm honest though it meant I didn't try as hard as I should've, plus I did not expect an offer at all (expected my highest offer to be A*AA) so before Jan I pretty much did no curriculum study, just a ton of coding etc xD I reckon I could've hit the offer personally. Woow good luck, would be incredible if you could get an S :O Although I always see you updating us on your test scores with incredible results so I have 101% faith in you :P
    haha thanks. I think there are still people much better than me though but hopefully Itll work out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Yeah, you'll breeze through NatSci maths. I think I did pretty well, hopefully in the 80s or high 70s. So now I just need a 2 in III (and to not mess up C3, C4 or physics).
    Yeah I really wish I could've done the extra maths, but I can accept I'm not good enough Wow that's impressive, you have to understand how insane that is. My teachers have made it clear I'm the best ever mathematician at my school and I couldn't even dream of them type of scores, must be nice knowing you're in such a high percentile! You'll be fine, I have faith xD Loool I messed up C2 last year just through arrogance not going to lie xD

ReputationRep:
    IrrationalRoot Quick q about 4 i on that paper if u wouldnt mind correcting me
    Spoiler:
    Show
    for part i I thought it would be pretty clear that after noting what happens as z->+- infinity and that f(z) is continuous there must be one root, but the ms has 6 sketches as well for a separate mark. Should I draw these in future for a rule of thumb?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.