(Original post by Natalie21)
    Are you learning it?
    はい!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emissionspectra)
    はい!
    That means yes right (Hai?)

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody here write fluently in Japanese and would they be kind enough to translate some work I have done from English into Japanese? I will be forever in debt to you and extremely grateful <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Hot Stalin)
    Can anybody here write fluently in Japanese and would they be kind enough to translate some work I have done from English into Japanese? I will be forever in debt to you and extremely grateful <3
    What is it?

ReputationRep:
    three paragraphs I'm trying to translate so i can memorise them for my gcse writing exam but its taking hours and I'm making so many mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emissionspectra)
    What is it?
    i forgot to quote you!

ReputationRep:
    I know how to read Katakana and Hiragana but learning how to write them now. I know about 50 or so kanji, want to learn enough so I can take JLPT level 5 before I go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetChilliSauce)
    I know how to read Katakana and Hiragana but learning how to write them now. I know about 50 or so kanji, want to learn enough so I can take JLPT level 5 before I go to uni.
    get Hesig remembering the Kanji, it's a must have.

ReputationRep:
    How did I only just find this thread...

I'm doing Japanese GCSE, and I've done the reading, listening and speaking tests - just writing next week now! I hope to take it at A-level, but you need an A* to get on my school's course...

Does anyone here do Japanese at A-level/university? I am seriously considering it as at least part of a joint course!

ReputationRep:
    I'm spinning spinning unable to find virtual bar, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp/ anime is cool
    today discovered could speak Japoanese - tabun anime no okage de.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kestral)
    I'm spinning spinning unable to find virtual bar, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp/ anime is cool
    today discovered could speak Japoanese - tabun anime no okage de.....
    do itashima****e!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lettucesoap)
    I took Japanese A-Level this year and am looking towards moving to the Land of the Rising Sun itself for university! if you have any questions regard A-level then fire away.
    Ooh! Haha, we'd be here for years if I asked all my questions.
    You're of Japanese descent though, right? Did you speak it at home?
    And... how much kanji is generally used at A-level? Thanks so much, that's it... until I collate the next lot of questions.

ReputationRep:
    Totally planning to do foreign exchange after I finish my A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4INBOW)
    Totally planning to do foreign exchange after I finish my A-levels
    nice! have you been before? what part of Japan do you want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    indeed i do, my mother is Japanese and I speak to her in Japanese as much as I can, its the only proper practice I get. However, we speak in colloquial Japanese only and in the southern Japanese regional dialect, so my formal Japanese is pretty poor.

for AS Japanese, Edexcel give us a list of around 120-150 kanji which we are expected to be familiar with, and they pop up frequently in the exam. They ask us how to read 2 or 3 from an extract they give us. The final essay question which is worth around 40 marks, must have a minimum of 10 AS kanji from the syllabus alongside GCSE kanji to get a shot at full marks. Some of the kanji are really easy though, like 馬 (うま) - horse, or 速い (はやい) - quick.

for A2, the list is pretty much the same amount of kanji, however the kanji level is substantially harder. You get stuff like 姿 (すがた)- figure and 悔い (くい)- regret, which may seem simple but some of the A2 kanji combined, ie 希望 (きぼう)- wish [just thinking off the top of my head] throws people off. But it definitely is rewarding.
    Wow, so up by around 300 kanji for the whole A-level? What writing did you study for A2? Ok, thank you, this is so helpful!

ReputationRep:
    nice! have you been before? what part of Japan do you want to go to?
    No unfortunately but I love the culture- and not just the anime side of it I'd probably want to go to either Tokyo or Osaka! It's gonna be hard to choose because both have their perks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4INBOW)
    No unfortunately but I love the culture- and not just the anime side of it I'd probably want to go to either Tokyo or Osaka! It's gonna be hard to choose because both have their perks
    better late than never I suppose! If I had to pick I'd go for Osaka, just because its a tad bit less Westernized than Tokyo, I feel like there's more of the ancient culture there with the temples and whatnot... but in terms of shopping, then its Tokyo without question.

ReputationRep:
    can i ask a quick question to people that can speak japanese? more specifically about hiragana, basically i started learning hiragana on monday starting by learning the alphabet and i've found on two different sites that the symbol for 'ki' was different :s

Name:  ki.png
Views: 126
Size:  2.4 KB

I know its not the best quality but help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    can i ask a quick question to people that can speak japanese? more specifically about hiragana, basically i started learning hiragana on monday starting by learning the alphabet and i've found on two different sites that the symbol for 'ki' was different :s is there any difference?

Name:  ki.png
Views: 126
Size:  2.4 KB

I know its not the best quality but help would be appreciated

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.