Me too
    But the rule makers couldn't do arithmetic
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Me too
    But the rule makers couldn't do arithmetic
    The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. The earliest reference is in a ballad by Charles D'Orleans in 1435 which refers to quarante cinque (which gave rise to our 40) and in 1522 there is a sentence in Latin "we are winning thirty, we are winning forty-five". The first recorded theories about the origin of fifteen were published in 1555 and 1579. However the origins of this convention remain obscure.It is possible that clock faces were used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".Another theory is that the scoring nomenclature came from the French game jeu du pamme (a precursor to tennis which initially used the hand instead of a racket). Jeu de paume was very popular before the French revolution, with more than 1,000 courts in Paris alone. The traditional court was 90 ft in total with 45 ft on each side. When the server scored, he moved forward 15 ft. If he scored again, he would move another 15 ft. If he scored a third time, he could only move 10 ft closer.The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed. It is possible that it derives from the French expression for "the egg" (l'œuf) because an egg looks like the number zero.[ This is similar to the origin of the term "duck" in cricket, supposedly from "duck's egg", referring to a batsman who has been called out without completing a run. One possibility comes from the Dutch expression iets voor lof doen, which means to do something for praise, implying no monetary stakes.Another theory on the origins of the use of "love" comes from the acceptance that, at the start of any match, when scores are at zero, players still have "love for each other".Some theorys for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. The earliest reference is in a ballad by Charles D'Orleans in 1435 which refers to quarante cinque (which gave rise to our 40) and in 1522 there is a sentence in Latin "we are winning thirty, we are winning forty-five". The first recorded theories about the origin of fifteen were published in 1555 and 1579. However the origins of this convention remain obscure.It is possible that clock faces were used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".Another theory is that the scoring nomenclature came from the French game jeu du pamme (a precursor to tennis which initially used the hand instead of a racket). Jeu de paume was very popular before the French revolution, with more than 1,000 courts in Paris alone. The traditional court was 90 ft in total with 45 ft on each side. When the server scored, he moved forward 15 ft. If he scored again, he would move another 15 ft. If he scored a third time, he could only move 10 ft closer.The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed. It is possible that it derives from the French expression for "the egg" (l'œuf) because an egg looks like the number zero.[ This is similar to the origin of the term "duck" in cricket, supposedly from "duck's egg", referring to a batsman who has been called out without completing a run. One possibility comes from the Dutch expression iets voor lof doen, which means to do something for praise, implying no monetary stakes.Another theory on the origins of the use of "love" comes from the acceptance that, at the start of any match, when scores are at zero, players still have "love for each other".Some theorys for you
    nice one
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    nice one
    well i wouldnt like how ive set it up but i know how good you are at reading large text

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    well i wouldnt like how ive set it up but i know how good you are at reading large text
    I'd only read the clock explanation by the time of sending that lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd only read the clock explanation by the time of sending that lol
    :O
    lel
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ok off to eat
    goodbye tsr
    you have treated me well today
    edit: I shall be back!

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :erm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :yucky:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    indila 10/10
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    U wot
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    U wot
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.