University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So the trip down the A1 from God's own county to Cambridge is done again and dd is delivered to Newnham for her second year. Despite the building work and the displaced porters' lodge, all went smoothly.

The only disappointment was the weather! Last year when dd was a fresher, we arrived to bright sunshine showing off Newnham's grounds to best effect; today was grey and a bit wet!

So, good luck to all of you starting off your university careers at Cambridge (and especially at Newnham!) I wish you the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nia.katochi)
    where did you read that they can't legally let you in with a BMI under 16? I have a BMI of 15 but am totally healthy and do not suffer from any eating disorders. Just wanted to know because I have just applied for uni and had no idea anything like this was a thing
    It isn't a thing, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Do law lectures start week beginning 3 or 10 October?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lincoln123)
    Do law lectures start week beginning 3 or 10 October?
    3rd. Mine start this Thursday. Introductory lectures are before this however.

https://2016-17.timetable.cam.ac.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Right, at last...... To the rest of 2016 guys (and one dad & his son )

SAFE JOURNEY TO CAMBRIDGE TODAY,
    AND VERY BEST WISHES FOR THE START OF YOUR NEW LIFE & NEXT 3/4 YEARS.
    GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!

One serious note.....
    It won't be a plain sailing for anyone, the life at Cambridge.
    Many of you'll probably have a few 'what have I done?' moments.
    But you're not alone. Many students before you experienced the same, and almost all of them came out the other end as a better and stronger person. So will you.
    You're going to have the most fulfilling experience from today. Work hard, play hard.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Do most people type or hand write their lecture notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lincoln123)
    Do most people type or hand write their lecture notes?
    Depends on the subject and person.

I'm a chemist and like to condense the lecture handouts into handwritten notebooks and make extra notes during lectures by hand.

ReputationRep:
    It is with great pleasure that I now unsticky this thread and release you into the wild!

You lot are far too busy studying/playing/living at Cambridge to have time for TSR.

Enjoy it, it's been emotional...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Thank you for everything.

ReputationRep:
    It is with great pleasure that I now unsticky this thread.

You lot are far too busy studying/playing/living at Cambridge to have time for TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And I think it's almost time I should go as well.
    I'll hang around a few more days until the end of Fresher's Week, just in case someone comes back crying for help,(hope not!)

But now you've got your college parents & DoS/tutor to seek advice/help and new friends who can share your life, in good times and bad times, many of whom will be your life-long friends. So they should be your first port of call. No more TSR.
    Feel the benefit of collegiate system, which works at its best when you are in need of help.

It's been a great journey sharing with you, and thank you all so much for allowing me to be a part of it, putting up with this pushy 'mum' with dodgy English.

Thank you, good bye and Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I'll hang around a few more days until the end of Fresher's Week, just in case someone comes back crying for help,(hope not!)

But now you've got your college parents & DoS/tutor to seek advice/help and new friends who can share your life, in good times and bad times, many of whom will be your life-long friends. So they should be your first port of call. No more TSR.
    Feel the benefit of collegiate system, which works at its best when you are in need of help.

It's been a great journey sharing with you, and thank you all so much for allowing me to be a part of it, putting up with this pushy 'mum' with dodgy English.

Thank you and Good luck!
    PRSOM (of course)

And

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 10.14.46.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  14.2 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    edit - translation compliance:
    arigatō gozaimashita
    thank you very much
    (used when giving thanks for a finished action )

ReputationRep:
    It is with great pleasure that I now unsticky this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely forgot about TSR, which says a lot...

ReputationRep:
    It is with great pleasure that I now unsticky this thread and release you into the wild!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I met your son and asked "Do you happen to be *insert your name*?"....:facepalm: Got it other way around :rofl:

(Original post by vincrows)

Thank you, good bye and Good luck!
    You'll be missed but I'll keep in touch of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I met your son and asked "Do you happen to be *insert your name*?"....:facepalm: Got it other way around :rofl:
    neillj?!

I hope he was suitably cringed

ReputationRep:
    neillj?!

I hope he was suitably cringed
    I asked him if he was (name)... Lol. Got the J right. Close enough

ReputationRep:
    I asked him if he was (name)... Lol. Got the J right. Close enough
    hah haha (i'll delete the name if you don't mind... )

ReputationRep:
    hah haha (i'll delete the name if you don't mind... )
    I don't mind of course I initially said *insert your name* because I thought I shouldn't put the name in hahaha
    I haven't spoken to him more than that though... So his impression of me is probably "That girl who got my name as my dad's and for some reason complimented me for my jump skillz"

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind of course I initially said *insert your name* because I thought I shouldn't put the name in hahaha
    I haven't spoken to him more than that though... So his impression of me is probably "That girl who got my name as my dad's and for some reason complimented me for my jump skillz"
    Don't worry - I've already warned him all about you.

(jks )

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - I've already warned him all about you.

(jks )
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    :afraid:
    Was the Fresher's Fair good? What did you sign up for?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.