Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dog24)
    The hardest year of my life
    You will be regretting that next year :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)
    Did they specify the A* in further maths?

I would certainly phone them up on results day if they don't automatically accept you as your results are really good. If your original college doesn't want you then you would probably go in the summer pool.

(I also need an A* in FM . I think I may have scraped through but it is difficult to say with the really high grade boundaries typical in FM)
    I had only two modules (FP2&FP3) to take this year, so Further Maths was the only A-Level theoretically for me out there (I already have got an A overall in FM, while my FP2&FP3 were pretty poor, I decided to retake those two and put A* as a prediction). They just ask for what I've stated on my UCAS form, though I had obviously miscalculated that prediction. Last year I got additionaly A* in Maths with no retakes, A Geog and A Economics - the whole A-Level specification was new to me as I did it completely self-taught so there was noone to guide me over predictions/specification/exam technique, etc.
    Land Economy is certainly not a subject requiring an A* in Further Maths as it is the case with Maths Tripos, NatSci Or Engineering.
    I think I will contact them before the exam results to talk a bit about my situation and explain that unfortunate prediction. FP2 and FP3 seemed easy but the reality has proved rather cruel.
    Depending on the grade boundaries I may scrape an A* but I may also miss the offer by 4-6 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    OH MY GOD. I'M IN THE SAME POSITION FOR MUSIC!
    *hugs*
    I did really well in AS and then kinda messed up my A2 composition - I thought I could do better in the exam, but I had 4 exams in 2 days and found the exam impossible!
    I'll be so glad with a C in that paper!
    So now, I'm hoping for an overall A. Definitely no A* for me D:
    *hugs back fiercely* SO glad we're in the same boat, here!! I'm clinging onto the fact that 70% of my Music A2 was good (as far as the hints that have been dropped indicate...) and that should hopefully counter any awfulness in the exam!

I never believed that I could get an A* in Music (I kinda scraped an A last year thanks to a dubious mark in my recital!), and so I'm relieved that my other subjects seem to have gone well... but ugh, I didn't want to be worrying that I'll miss my A in Music! Damn it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolio93)
    Good luck I need A*AA for my Offer at Fitzwilliam too. I hope that I'll see you there in October. I hate the A*AA offer, why can't we just get a normal AAA offer? That's so p*** take!!!
    Good luck to you too!! I'm actually deferring, so would hopefully see you next year. Fingers crossed for us both (and fingers crossed for any leniency if anything went a bit wrong!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Economics? :p:

Fingers crossed! I'll be so annoyed if I end up missing the A* by one mark or something.
    Yeah, I died in unit 4. I thought I had half an hour more than I actually had for some reason, so by the time it got to 2 minutes before the end some answers were incomplete and I hadn't started one of the twelve markers; I just had to scribble some vague things down without really referring to the extract at all. sigh.
    There's a chance I'll make the A if unit 3 went better than I think it did, but I doubt it.

How many people miss their offers by getting A*AB/A*A*B (the latter of which could have happened; it isn't likely but stranger things have happened results wise).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Yeah, I died in unit 4. I thought I had half an hour more than I actually had for some reason, so by the time it got to 2 minutes before the end some answers were incomplete and I hadn't started one of the twelve markers; I just had to scribble some vague things down without really referring to the extract at all. sigh.
    There's a chance I'll make the A if unit 3 went better than I think it did, but I doubt it.

How many people miss their offers by getting A*AB/A*A*B (the latter of which could have happened; it isn't likely but stranger things have happened results wise).
    Ooft, that sounds horrible. You got ridiculously high UMS last year, right? Surely that should mean that you can do pretty badly in Unit 4 and still get an A? Or was your retake of the other unit not that great?

Wait...did Magdalene specify which three subjects you have to get the grades in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsss)
    Bleurgh.. lucky
    I still have physics Unit 5!!
    same here and i have done nowhere near enough work for it, have been too busy concentrating on chemistry etc... oh well!

oh and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Ooft, that sounds horrible. You got ridiculously high UMS last year, right? Surely that should mean that you can do pretty badly in Unit 4 and still get an A? Or was your retake of the other unit not that great?

Wait...did Magdalene specify which three subjects you have to get the grades in?
    No, they didn't specify which subjects the grades had to be in (aside from that I needed an A in law, which I certainly will have made), but that doesn't help me much since I haven't got the A in classics (I sacrificed classics revision for economics revision after I found myself spectacularly short of time following my missing some college and trying to piece together the whole of defamation law from primary sources for my EPQ).

Yeah, there's a chance my unit 3 resit will have been good enough to offset the disaster in unit 4, but it isn't likely; especially considering that unit 4 is weighted more heavily. I averaged 92.5% last year, so this year should have been a doddle, but I really can't emphasize satisfactorily via written word what a disaster unit 4 was.

Maybe the high A I'll have in AS further maths will help...

ReputationRep:
    did anyone go to the fitz offer holders open day today? there are so few of us on the facebook group - where are all you fitzbillies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosietheology)
    did anyone go to the fitz offer holders open day today? there are so few of us on the facebook group - where are all you fitzbillies?
    Do I count as one if I am deferred entry? :P

ReputationRep:
    Soo.. how many people do you think get pooled in the winter pool and then again in the summer pool and still get in?

ReputationRep:
    No, they didn't specify which subjects the grades had to be in (aside from that I needed an A in law, which I certainly will have made), but that doesn't help me much since I haven't got the A in classics (I sacrificed classics revision for economics revision after I found myself spectacularly short of time following my missing some college and trying to piece together the whole of defamation law from primary sources for my EPQ).

Yeah, there's a chance my unit 3 resit will have been good enough to offset the disaster in unit 4, but it isn't likely; especially considering that unit 4 is weighted more heavily. I averaged 92.5% last year, so this year should have been a doddle, but I really can't emphasize satisfactorily via written word what a disaster unit 4 was.

Maybe the high A I'll have in AS further maths will help...
    Bit weird really, because I'm in precisely the same situation. Well, I averaged slightly lower in phil at AS (didn't finish my second paper in time) at 90%, but unit 4 in A2 was a total disaster for me (and my whole class, incidentally). If I meet my offer, it won't be because I did fantastically in A2,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Bit weird really, because I'm in precisely the same situation. Well, I averaged slightly lower in phil at AS (didn't finish my second paper in time) at 90%, but unit 4 in A2 was a total disaster for me (and my whole class, incidentally). If I meet my offer, it won't be because I did fantastically in A2,
    :console:

I was so happy with my A*AA offer as well. Sighhhh

Oh well, all we can do is wait (and think 24/7 about how I'll be claiming JSA next year, in my case). Good luck bro.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

I was so happy with my A*AA offer as well. Sighhhh

Oh well, all we can do is wait (and think 24/7 about how I'll be claiming JSA next year, in my case). Good luck bro.
    You too, man. When I got my AAA offer I was like 'yeah, this is sorted, it couldn't be much easier if I had the questions in advance.' Now that attitude has faded.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Anyone here feel that STEP might mess them up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Anyone here feel that STEP might mess them up
    Yep. Only needed a 1 in STEP I as well for engineering, I think I probably got a 3
    Hopfully they will take a 2 in STEP II which I think I got instead of that. I'm such a noob..

I take it you needed it for maths? how did you think you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello dave)
    Soo.. how many people do you think get pooled in the winter pool and then again in the summer pool and still get in?
    I hope some do. My original college was nice enough to put me in the pool and take me back out again in January. Maybe they'll do the same this time... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    I hope some do. My original college was nice enough to put me in the pool and take me back out again in January. Maybe they'll do the same this time... :moon:
    Eeek... Winter pool was scary enough :O
    *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    I might get pooled back to my original college in the summer pool.. that would be good. They did say they'd give me an offer if no other college did, but it would have been for 2012. Do you think you've missed your offer then? what was it for?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hello dave)
    Yep. Only needed a 1 in STEP I as well for engineering, I think I probably got a 3
    Hopfully they will take a 2 in STEP II which I think I got instead of that. I'm such a noob..

I take it you needed it for maths? how did you think you did?
    I honestly think I got a 12, maybe a 11 if the boundaries are low

But hopefully I will have A*A*A* with that so it might help my case if I have to beg that morning!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.