Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Where are you currently studying at currently, after rejecting warwick's and nottingham's offer for law eons back?
    i thought i mentioned it a number of times in this forum haha. im studying econs at nus now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonanz)
    i understand where ur parents are coming from. its indeed quite frustrating if u see ur peers zoom by while u waste one year. but that depends on whether u really waste. because the one year, u could fruitfully spend in on a job and learn whilst on it, or do something meaningful [volunteer work, whatever it is]. whilst in army and out of army, i worked in at least 3 diff jobs, gave tuition, learn driving, perform in piano bars, and dabbled in many interest and volunter work, and come this july,im going to cambodia for mission trip. it really depens on how u gona spend ur gap year - are u going to just waste it as your parents suggest, or are u going to spend it meaningfully?

from my personal experience, a gap year is invaluable. in the grand scheme of things, a year compared to a lifetime decision, is nothing. a year, juxtaposed against a possible lifelong career, is nothing.going to uni, choosing course, choosing a specific profession in your case i.e doctor or lawyer, is an important stage in life and has potential life changing consequence, and hence should not be taken lightly, and i know you are not. if u are very disatisfied with ur offers, especially if u cant get into dentistry. besides, i think having concrete grades now as opposed to predicted grades , and 4 H2 As no less!, will substantialy boost your chances of geting accepted into top medical schools if u want to study med, or top law schools if u wanna study law.if u want to go overseas and spend that amt of money anyway, might as well go to the best right? no point going to mediocre ones as u are not getting the bang for the buck and 2ndly, u will always regret and think of the 'if only i had waited a year and then applied for better schools..'.
    from my personal experience, a gap year helps tremendously one in deciding what he genuinely wants in uni. there are nuermous guys in army who switch course while in army because as they progress in army and mature over the years they gain better insight into what htey want, including yours truly. one year, especially a year spent meaningfully, either through working or sth lidat, and talking to people out there, could really alter your perspective and help you make a better decision.

if in the end you want to become a dentist/doctor, and find a 1.5 gap year too long, then u can always apply to australia med/dentistry. the application for med/dentistry entry feb 2011 will open soon if im not wrong, and the course start date is in feb 2011, so u do not need to wait for like 1.5 years. 11 more months and off to aussie u go. and besides if u wana to study med/dentistry i would recommend aussie anyway [if u cant get into nus, that is] since its cheaper, good, and nearer to home. the cost factor is a huge plus.

i wish u the best, and hope u can get into nus law/dentistry, whichever u choose. smu law is not bad too, have a couple of frens in there with straight As. but do not fret to tread a different path or make a bold decision. if u want to study in a local uni, then by all means go ahead. but if u feel that overseas is good for u, and that u deserve better than hte offers u are having, or u are just unsure of ur path, then take a gap year. all the best.
    wow wow that was a very comprehensive analysis there! i've discussed with my parents and from their pov they believe that besides oxbridge there really isnt much diff between a law degree from schools like ucl and 2nd tiers like notts if im practising in sg, so there's no point in taking a gap year just to apply to lse and ucl etc. so if i really wanna study law i might as well just go to notts.
    im still gonna apply for med, dent then accountancy/biz at nus, but if i dont get into med or dent i'll probably go to aus for med/dent or uk for law. dont really wanna leave sg though, cos im actually from china so if i leave my parents will be alone here plus i'll have to leave my bf. haha.
    anyway how's the econs course at nus? i've got a couple of friends who wanna do econs (in uk or nus) but im not really clear what are the potential career aspects that a econs degree can bring. what are you planning to do after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    wow wow that was a very comprehensive analysis there! i've discussed with my parents and from their pov they believe that besides oxbridge there really isnt much diff between a law degree from schools like ucl and 2nd tiers like notts if im practising in sg, so there's no point in taking a gap year just to apply to lse and ucl etc. so if i really wanna study law i might as well just go to notts.
    im still gonna apply for med, dent then accountancy/biz at nus, but if i dont get into med or dent i'll probably go to aus for med/dent or uk for law. dont really wanna leave sg though, cos im actually from china so if i leave my parents will be alone here plus i'll have to leave my bf. haha.
    anyway how's the econs course at nus? i've got a couple of friends who wanna do econs (in uk or nus) but im not really clear what are the potential career aspects that a econs degree can bring. what are you planning to do after you graduate?
    as someone 4 years ur senior let me give u some perspective since ive sort of been thru what u are currently undergoing.

well i had offers from uk for law [notts, warwick etc] and from australia for medicine [UWA was the only sch that offered me, i did well in interview and ISAT] but in the end i chose to read econs at nus for a few reason

1] i find it hard to give up things in sg. my family, my frens and most imptly my girlfriend, so i understand why u cant give up ur bf.

2] i realise i like econs as an acdemic subject. the insight that its better to read something you are genuinely interested in rather than go along with the pragmatic path [doctor lawyer or acctant] is something you have to gain yourself. thru NS and throughout my work after NS i realised its much more satisfyng to do sth I like and much easier to excel in it. to me happiness is important

3]i can still have opporunity as an NUS student to go overseas without compromising my family/friends/girlfrield. i can go for exchange at any top unis and also do my masters [provided of course i score a decent grade]. im currently on a first class honours grade and if things go well [with God's blessings] I can go on to achieve my ideal masters uni and exchange uni.

4] being in singapore has more advantage than one can imagine. its easier to build up a network of friends and also maintain your relationship with present ones. since sg is and will always be my home, and this is where i will work and start a family next time, its important for me to build up a social network friens who will support me,help me and just be there for me as we grow. if u come to nus u can have lotsa fun other than just academic by joining the many societies and clubs and acitivities!

i think it boils down to personal preference. whatever u choose i wish u the best. im sure your parents have your best interest at heart and i know they must have did their calculations so its best u listen to them cuz they know u best. wat i must caution is not to blindly read a professional course without considering if u actualy want to be in that particular profession for the rest of ur life. do u sincerely want to be a doctor or a lawyer? do u know enough about these professions? something u have to consider.

ultimatey, when in university alot of the growth depends on u. there are many people who go to uni and just mug and just keep to themselves. but if u actively participate and source for opportunities, whether u are overseass or not, u will definitely lead a meaningful university life.

all the best

ReputationRep:
    as someone 4 years ur senior let me give u some perspective since ive sort of been thru what u are currently undergoing.

well i had offers from uk for law [notts, warwick etc] and from australia for medicine [UWA was the only sch that offered me, i did well in interview and ISAT] but in the end i chose to read econs at nus for a few reason

1] i find it hard to give up things in sg. my family, my frens and most imptly my girlfriend, so i understand why u cant give up ur bf.

2] i realise i like econs as an acdemic subject. the insight that its better to read something you are genuinely interested in rather than go along with the pragmatic path [doctor lawyer or acctant] is something you have to gain yourself. thru NS and throughout my work after NS i realised its much more satisfyng to do sth I like and much easier to excel in it. to me happiness is important

3]i can still have opporunity as an NUS student to go overseas without compromising my family/friends/girlfrield. i can go for exchange at any top unis and also do my masters [provided of course i score a decent grade]. im currently on a first class honours grade and if things go well [with God's blessings] I can go on to achieve my ideal masters uni and exchange uni.

4] being in singapore has more advantage than one can imagine. its easier to build up a network of friends and also maintain your relationship with present ones. since sg is and will always be my home, and this is where i will work and start a family next time, its important for me to build up a social network friens who will support me,help me and just be there for me as we grow. if u come to nus u can have lotsa fun other than just academic by joining the many societies and clubs and acitivities!

i think it boils down to personal preference. whatever u choose i wish u the best. im sure your parents have your best interest at heart and i know they must have did their calculations so its best u listen to them cuz they know u best. wat i must caution is not to blindly read a professional course without considering if u actualy want to be in that particular profession for the rest of ur life. do u sincerely want to be a doctor or a lawyer? do u know enough about these professions? something u have to consider.

ultimatey, when in university alot of the growth depends on u. there are many people who go to uni and just mug and just keep to themselves. but if u actively participate and source for opportunities, whether u are overseass or not, u will definitely lead a meaningful university life.

all the best
    Haha Hey

I remember you advising to opt to read Law at King's College instead of SMU due to the whole hectic environment the Singapore Education System traps us in. I'm still entangled and I'm wondering if you still maintain your reccomendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamlaw)
    Haha Hey

I remember you advising to opt to read Law at King's College instead of SMU due to the whole hectic environment the Singapore Education System traps us in. I'm still entangled and I'm wondering if you still maintain your reccomendations?
    actually for me i will go kcl. but htats just me. for u, can u bear to give up things in sg? family ,frens, creature comfort. if u bear to, then go to kcl. if not stay in sg, simple as tt

ReputationRep:
    Haha Hey

KCL! hahah. dont pangseh eh.

ReputationRep:

And just to give the alternate view about studying overseas...

Several years ago, I had offers from the UK for medicine/biomedical engineering, from the US for biomedical engineering, and from NUS for medicine, and chose to come to the UK for medicine.

This really isn't a decision I regret at all - yes there have been a large number of downsides, but there's also been a large number of upsides that outweigh the downsides.

So to start with the cons:

- Yonanz is definitely right when he says that it is hard to give up family/friends/etc. I spent my first few months in the UK missing home a lot, though Skype/MSN/etc does help a lot with this. I still miss home though, even after years here! (As a note I know quite a lot of people who started out with long-distance relationships; some of them have just gotten closer and even engaged(!), others have since split up.)

- The life here is very different - cons include having to be very independent, having to become accustomed to the British accent (and making sure that they can understand you too!), to the climate, the sun setting before 4pm in the winter, shops closing at 5pm, etc.

- It's far from home. If you go home a lot, you rapidly get sick of taking 13 hour flights. Even on Singapore Airlines. Even on the A380s.

And then to continue with the pros:

- You make a lot of new friends, from everywhere, and learn to rely on them. There's usually a Singapore or Singapore/Malaysia society which will have events/etc, in addition to whatever events may be going on in your university or in societies/etc. And as a result you also try out activities you never thought you'd do...

- You learn to be independent. Budgeting, laundry, food, grocery shopping, etc etc. And at the same time your parents give you more freedom - I've done day trips, gone on holidays with friends, etc, the equivalent of which my parents might have been more reluctant to let me do if I'd stayed at home for university!

- It's a different experience altogether!

- Travelling - always a major plus. I'm one of the lesser-travelled, but have still managed to squeeze in several trips so far. Some people I know have somehow managed to visit almost every country in Europe (including Eastern Europe!)...

- I really enjoy my course and the way teaching is structured in my university, though of course this is dependent on you and what course you choose to study and where you choose to study!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    KCL! hahah. dont pangseh eh.
    Hahaha, maybe I should consider Korea. 7 years of uni life sounds heavenly :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, maybe I should consider Korea. 7 years of uni life sounds heavenly :p:
    touche man touche. hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, er, can everyone who's interested in going to the Warwick reception meet up at cityhall before we head down to conrad together? We might as well be friends for 2-3 years t least, at least for me since Im entering uni in 2011. =D
    lol yeah sure i'd like to meet up first haha..

i just have some questions about how i am supposed to go about verifying some of the conditions stated in my offer lol.. i emailed the admissions team from warwick yesterday but i think that they are all on easter break or something haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadimon)
    lol yeah sure i'd like to meet up first haha..

i just have some questions about how i am supposed to go about verifying some of the conditions stated in my offer lol.. i emailed the admissions team from warwick yesterday but i think that they are all on easter break or something haha!
    Haha easy.

1) Photocopy your certificates and result slips, on own expense or on the government's bill. ( I made 3 sets - one to be mailed, 2 sets for emergencies)

2) Bring down the original and the photocopied version to your school to have them certified true. (I did it for my DSA, so I have some experience)

3) Have the General office to print the academic reference before heading down, on the school's letterhead. ( Print a few copies of it just in case. May aid your search of internship in the UK or something)

ReputationRep:
    Haha easy.

1) Photocopy your certificates and result slips, on own expense or on the government's bill. ( I made 3 sets - one to be mailed, 2 sets for emergencies)

2) Bring down the original and the photocopied version to your school to have them certified true. (I did it for my DSA, so I have some experience)

3) Have the General office to print the academic reference before heading down, on the school's letterhead. ( Print a few copies of it just in case. May aid your search of internship in the UK or something)
    lol must it really be with the school letterhead? zzz... i've already got my reference signed by my referee... albeit on plain paper instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadimon)
    lol must it really be with the school letterhead? zzz... i've already got my reference signed by my referee... albeit on plain paper instead
    Firstly, does warwick require you to verify the academic reference? If so, I think they need it on school letterhead. Check your PM @ B*****S*****

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, does warwick require you to verify the academic reference? If so, I think they need it on school letterhead. Check your PM @ B*****S*****
    check yours lol

oh hmmm... guess i'll need to get it re-signed again haha

ReputationRep:
    ya i emailed warwick and they specifically said the academic ref needs to be on school letter head + school stamp + signature. =)

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

Anyone going to KCL for Law this Sept 2010? I just got my unconditional offer and i'm psyched!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryhappyfeet)
    Hey all!

Anyone going to KCL for Law this Sept 2010? I just got my unconditional offer and i'm psyched!
    yeapppp me. congrats on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

Unfair...! I got a conditional offer - they required me to verify my certs. Congrats anw. Is this going to be your firm?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

haha congrats congrats man

ReputationRep:

all the best
    Hi yonanz,

what did you get for your ISAT?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.