Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mevidek)
    *******s. What's wrong with people standing up for the rights of the workers?
    There is nothing wrong with defending a right or campaigning for a right however you should do it on your own time and without causing inconvenience for others.

I have no objection to a union acting as a think tank and proposing policy, they got the minimum wage without striking.

Strikes should not be legal, rather there should be a system in which 50% of public sector employees must petition against or for a particular action with a turnout of 50%+. If this was the case then government would amend its policy (though there would be no second petition. It may or may not work, just a thought.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    I must have missed that bit?
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    What we have been saying - the power to cripple the country. That is too much power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    I think Libertarians are against most "crushings" generally!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I have no objection to a union acting as a think tank and proposing policy, they got the minimum wage without striking.
    Is it worth pointing out to you that the first minimum wage agreement in Britain was with the Miners' Federation of Great Britain in 1912 and they sure as hell had to strike to get it. Indeed, had the Great War not broken out in the summer of 1914, it's almost certain there would have been a general strike in support of a national minimum wage. That New Labour peacefully passed it, without the support of the Conservative Party, when they first came into office in 1997 should not cover over the fact that it had taken decades upon decades of industrial action to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks, It's the first thing that popped into my head..

The protests last year. Most schools were closed, what are parents who aren't striking do? They are going to have to take a day out of work to look after them. It's a knock on effect - the country loses out on millions in revenue and private sector people more importantly have to take a day out of work, not all, but a lot.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Striking is civil disobedience, political point making. I hardly would call our public sector's pay and conditions bad compared to that of other countries.

I'm confused about why you think a union wouldn't always try to get as much from a government as it possibly could get away with. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that they have some sort of inalienable moral compass that is always true - they never want more or less than is absolutely correct? If you agree with me, and that they will always want to get more and more (as opposed to simply temporarily settling and waiting to go again later), surely it's not hard to see how they could quite easily "exploit the government" over issues such as, for example, power plants in the nationalised era of power production. The country needs it, and the government has little power (again, in a pre-privatised era, ie before 1989) to reject proposals from unions, because the alternatives - the whole country losing electricity - is more or less unthinkable (see: Heath).
    So you'd just get rid of the right to strike?

ReputationRep:
    So you'd just get rid of the right to strike?
    That's it. We're done. You're proving absolutely why you guys are the general target of hate in this place.

If your whole party wasn't already on "the list", you would be now.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with defending a right or campaigning for a right however you should do it on your own time and without causing inconvenience for others.

Strikes should not be legal, rather there should be a system in which 50% of public sector employees must petition against or for a particular action with a turnout of 50%+. If this was the case then government would amend its policy (though there would be no second petition. It may or may not work, just a thought.
    Absolute *******s - STRIKES SHOULD BE LEGAL. It's a right, and it's a form of protest. I can't think of a single time when unions have exploited the right to strike. Give me evidence, or else your argument is absolute bull****.

ReputationRep:
    That's it. We're done. You're proving absolutely why you guys are the general target of hate in this place.

If your whole party wasn't already on "the list", you would be now.
    Excuse me? What are you trying to say?

Absolute *******s - STRIKES SHOULD BE LEGAL. It's a right, and it's a form of protest. I can't think of a single time when unions have exploited the right to strike. Give me evidence, or else your argument is absolute bull****.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    Great contribution, my friend.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Workers have the right to voluntary political association, and should be completely able to exercise collective bargaining through this right. I'd be surprised if any libertarians wished to curtail any of these rights, not so much if the Tories did (there's quite a record there).

It's funny how Libers approach most issues through the dimension of individual-liberty yet when it comes to unions you've suddenly switched to societal consequentialism.

We have no objection to collective bargaining or voluntary political association, we just have a problem with an unelected body making threats.

Great contribution, my friend.
    There is no need to get all stressed about other people's political views.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you forgetting the 3 day week?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Is it worth pointing out to you that the first minimum wage agreement in Britain was with the Miners' Federation of Great Britain in 1912 and they sure as hell had to strike to get it. Indeed, had the Great War not broken out in the summer of 1914, it's almost certain there would have been a general strike in support of a national minimum wage. That New Labour peacefully passed it, without the support of the Conservative Party, when they first came into office in 1997 should not cover over the fact that it had taken decades upon decades of industrial action to get it.
    That be true but i would ask why Labour opted not to pass such a law during one of their many terms in power.

ReputationRep:
    As a member of the Conservative party I fully support the right of workers to strike. One thing I do disagree with is the usual government response to a strike. Just like the US policy to never negotiate with terrorists we should have a policy to never negotiate with unions. It it the job of the government to speak on behalf of the tax payers whereas it is the duty of the unions to speak up on behalf of the workers. Of course in the short term lack of negotiation may lead to financial and other losses. In the long term a no negotiation policy will deter future strike action and help our country.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to get all stressed about other people's political views.
    I was not getting "stressed". I was merely using the capitals to emphasize how much I disagreed with you. Perhaps I should have used italics. My apologies.

ReputationRep:
    We have no objection to collective bargaining or voluntary political association, we just have a problem with an unelected body making threats.
    What you mean like bankers threatening to go elsewhere if they don't have huge bonuses? You mean like company bosses threatening to move elsewhere if they don't have low tax rates? You mean like higher-rate tax payers avoiding tax and simultaneously complaining they pay too much and threatenin to move to Zanzibar? Oh yes, unelected bodies making threats which governments cave into are not exclusively a left-wing problem. Now, given that trades unions have internal democracy and bankers do not... I don't quite get why you despise the former but **** over rights of the latter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    As a member of the Conservative party I fully support the right of workers to strike. One thing I do disagree with is the usual government response to a strike. Just like the US policy to never negotiate with terrorists we should have a policy to never negotiate with unions. It it the job of the government to speak on behalf of the tax payers whereas it is the duty of the unions to speak up on behalf of the workers. Of course in the short term lack of negotiation may lead to financial and other losses. In the long term a no negotiation policy will deter future strike action and help our country.
    Then what's the point of striking if the government would "never negotiate with unions"? Surely that's just as bad as the way workers in Colombia are treated by their corrupt government.

I was not getting "stressed". I was merely using the capitals to emphasize how much I disagreed with you. Perhaps I should have used italics. My apologies.
    I accept your apology my friend

ReputationRep:
    I accept your apology my friend
    Ok.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.