The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

I still have more respect for an MK Dons fan that will go to games & support their local team than a plastic armchair fan.

Cellino won't leave Leeds
Original post by Midlander
There was no club in Milton Keynes beforehand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Used to be Milton Keynes City but it went bust about 10 years ago, was a non league team.
about ten years ago, you say? :holmes:
Original post by Rock Fan
Used to be Milton Keynes City but it went bust about 10 years ago, was a non league team.

Wonder why that was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Wonder why that was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was two actually, the first one went out of business in the mid 80s due to no investment and poor league positions. The second one was from the late 90s but in 2003 again it went out of business due to lack of money and interest, plus with the confusion over the old Wimbledon situation.
Original post by Jangrafess
about ten years ago, you say? :holmes:

2003 to be exact
We're in to December, and seeing as I can't boast about my team, here are my over and under achievers for each league

Championship: Brentford (Over) a special mention for Bournemouth but because we dismantled Brentford last year and this year they did likewise to use they deserve it. Wigan (Under) When you consider their run after Coyle last year I had to assume they'd be up there, then again they are relying on Leon Barnett..

League 1: Oldham (Over) Never anything better than mid table obsucirty for them, but this season they seem to have got something about them, and Elokobi ofc. Leyton Orient (under) probably not helped by how much they overachieved last year and how close they got, but what with the takeover, they should be doing far better.

League 2: Wycombe (Over) No money, stayed up last day last season, been very consistently leading an inconsistent league. Carlisle (Under) for a club that loves to yo-yo, they are really fudging about this year, might stay up because Hartlepool are terrible and someone else will be involved in the last day scramble there always is.

What d'ya all think?
Speaking of MK Dons they are up against Sheffield United tonight.
Speaking of MK Dons they are up against Sheffield United tonight.

Listening on the radio - first half sounded very tight and cagey from both teams.
Original post by alex_hk90
Listening on the radio - first half sounded very tight and cagey from both teams.

You got the goal in the end, up to 2nd I think?

OMG Carl you actually won!
Original post by Hooby
OMG Carl you actually won!

I know can't believe my eyes

Up to 3rd, but only 2 points off top with a game in hand. :smile:
Sounded a bit lucky to be honest - they had more chances but we got the goal. :h:
Original post by sr90
MK Dons did not take over Wimbledon's honours list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They gave it back eventually but the initial takeover included the FA Cup and previous league achievements.
Original post by hskjlclcn
We're in to December, and seeing as I can't boast about my team, here are my over and under achievers for each league

Championship: Brentford (Over) a special mention for Bournemouth but because we dismantled Brentford last year and this year they did likewise to use they deserve it. Wigan (Under) When you consider their run after Coyle last year I had to assume they'd be up there, then again they are relying on Leon Barnett..

League 1: Oldham (Over) Never anything better than mid table obsucirty for them, but this season they seem to have got something about them, and Elokobi ofc. Leyton Orient (under) probably not helped by how much they overachieved last year and how close they got, but what with the takeover, they should be doing far better.

League 2: Wycombe (Over) No money, stayed up last day last season, been very consistently leading an inconsistent league. Carlisle (Under) for a club that loves to yo-yo, they are really fudging about this year, might stay up because Hartlepool are terrible and someone else will be involved in the last day scramble there always is.

What d'ya all think?

No Luton who look like they're on course for back to back promotions?

Amazed to see Orient so far down the table considering their squad is full of Championship players. Their wage bill must be obscene.
Can't call a team promoted from the Conference over achievers. Both Stevenage and Crawley have had back to back promotions through. Those leagues are very similar in terms of quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
No Luton who look like they're on course for back to back promotions?

Amazed to see Orient so far down the table considering their squad is full of Championship players. Their wage bill must be obscene.

Tbf, Luton were expected to do quite well this season whereas Wycombe weren't - plus Luton have been pissing around for too long in the conference that when they eventually got up I thought they might be able to do back to back.
Full credit to Wycombe after the turmoil they have been through I suspect they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but I do feel Luton will achieve back to back promotions, I do wonder if anything will ever come of a new ground for them though.
On the subject of Luton, boo.
Also mention on Leyton Orient, so often we see teams makes the play offs the previous season only for the following season to be in a relegation battle.

Quick Reply

Latest