Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know people will say,

ReputationRep:
    I know people will say it doesnt matter, but which colleges are renowned for being 'left wing' etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConexionWarrior)
    I know people will say it doesnt matter, but which colleges are renowned for being 'left wing' etc?
    Mansfield I believe, at least that's what I've always been told

ReputationRep:
    I've got a place to study French and Beginners' Italian at Oxford (St Anne's) this year, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to message me - I remember when I was in your situation this time last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConexionWarrior)
    Wadham and Balliol (with the exception of Boris Johnson!) I think many colleges will have a variety of views and so cannot be labelled as either left or right wing. However, Wadham is known as particularly liberal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dontknowhy)
    I'm thinking of applying to Oxford just to see what happens on the off chance I get in, I'd like to do Physics and my main concern is the PAT to get in

GCSE grades: 10A* and 3A
    A levels: 4As at AS (math, further, chem and physics), hopefully A*A*A or A*AA at A2 (maths, chem and physics) with an EPQ

I visited Oxford in the summer but sadly lots of the colleges were closed and you couldn't get in...
    I like the look of Keble, Exeter, Hertford and Somerville but will have to think about it further

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you haven't already, start working on the PAT now because it is the most important thing in getting an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Without doing any extensive research, I thought I'd probably apply to New College, simply because I'd prefer a large college and was v impressed when I visited it. (Oh, and they filmed parts of Harry Potter there...)
    However, today a friend suggested I choose a different college, as apparently New College consistently tops/comes near to the top of the Norrington Table, thus making it more difficult to get in to.
    Thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Without doing any extensive research, I thought I'd probably apply to New College, simply because I'd prefer a large college and was v impressed when I visited it. (Oh, and they filmed parts of Harry Potter there...)
    However, today a friend suggested I choose a different college, as apparently New College consistently tops/comes near to the top of the Norrington Table, thus making it more difficult to get in to.
    Thoughts on this?
    If you look at the stats provided on the Oxford webpage you'll see that Brasenose and Worcester have the most applicants. Magdalen is currently top and is consistently in the top 5 (not that the Norrington tables mean anything) and I'm still applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Thoughts on this?
    Personally I would see the fact that it does well in the Norrington Table as a reason to apply, not as one to apply somewhere else.

I take your friend's point. But go for it if you like it there!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Thoughts on this?
    I'd just apply to wherever you want to apply. You might as well go for the college you want to go for the most and if you end up being moved to a different college then that's not the end of the world since most people seem to say they're happy wherever they end up. If you visited it and you thought you'd be happy living there, that seems like a perfectly sensible reason to apply (the fact that it was high on the Norrington table in Year X is pretty irrelevant though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Thoughts on this?
    I see what you mean about more applicants making it more difficult to get in, but I think that so many people get moved around anyway it probably won't make much difference, so definitely apply for the college you like best

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for physics? If so can you provide me with resources to study for the PAT? Videos, websites, questions, anything.
    I need to get started preparing for it like right now.

ReputationRep:
    I was ill the day of my General Studies paper that was worth 70% of the grade, and so got a U (which I wasn't too bothered by because hey its general studies), but I just found out you have to report all grades to UCAS. Are Oxford gonna care that I got a U in such an unimportant subject and if so (where) do i mention the circumstance of being ill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googolplexity)
    I was ill the day of my General Studies paper that was worth 70% of the grade, and so got a U (which I wasn't too bothered by because hey its general studies), but I just found out you have to report all grades to UCAS. Are Oxford gonna care that I got a U in such an unimportant subject and if so (where) do i mention the circumstance of being ill?
    Does your school certificate all AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    x
    Hi there, could you possibly tell me the admission statistics for chemistry at Brasenose for the most recent application season. How many applied, and how many got accepted? Also, is it possible to know the GCSE and/or AS grades of these successful applicants? I just looked at the Oxford website and it's made me nervous that Brasenose has the lowest overall acceptance rate over the previous 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    Hi there, could you possibly tell me the admission statistics for chemistry at Brasenose for the most recent application season. How many applied, and how many got accepted? Also, is it possible to know the GCSE and/or AS grades of these successful applicants? I just looked at the Oxford website and it's made me nervous that Brasenose has the lowest overall acceptance rate over the previous 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last year we received 33 applications for Chemistry and 13 candidates received offers (a success rate of 39%).We don't have access to the AS grades on our database. The range of A* at GCSE for offer holders, conditional on taking GCSEs, was 5 to 11, with a median of 9 A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Hi,
    I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if you saw it. Basically, I got 3A's and then a D in my AS History, and I was wondering if (honestly) this would exclude me from having a chance in an application for Law? (It was very out of the blue- an A in one exam and a U in the other).

Additionally, if I chose to take History at A2 and retake the exam I got a U in, would an A or A* prediction for me be taken seriously?
    Check your PMs.

ReputationRep:
    Last year we received 33 applications for Chemistry and 13 candidates received offers (a success rate of 39%).We don't have access to the AS grades on our database. The range of A* at GCSE for offer holders, conditional on taking GCSEs, was 5 to 11, with a median of 9 A*s.
    Would you please be so kind as to share the same data for PPE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    Would you please be so kind as to share the same data for PPE?
    The offer rate for direct applicants to read PPE was 1 in 5 and the A* GCSE range for candidates gaining an offer was 5 to 12, with a median of 9 A* (conditional on taking GCSEs).

ReputationRep:
    The offer rate for direct applicants to read PPE was 1 in 5 and the A* GCSE range for candidates gaining an offer was 5 to 12, with a median of 9 A* (conditional on taking GCSEs).
    Thank you. Is it possible to know in terms of number how many applications Brasenose has received last year for PPE, please?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.