Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Me)
    I'm thinking about it too! Is there no way to just pop in and visit, no booking, like most other university open days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You probably have to give your name at the entrance to your department and they'll tick you off, so yeah you should register if you're going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was considering that as well! I went to an open day but was planning to apply for English at the time so haven't really seen my department. My college is quite small though so I'm a bit reluctant to take up a place, plus it would be awkward seeing my interviewers again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculina)
    I was considering that as well! I went to an open day but was planning to apply for English at the time so haven't really seen my department. My college is quite small though so I'm a bit reluctant to take up a place, plus it would be awkward seeing my interviewers again...
    Yeah right haha

I'd only go to the department one where you can blend in :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    You probably have to give your name at the entrance to your department and they'll tick you off, so yeah you should register if you're going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Mini-Me)
    I'm thinking about it too! Is there no way to just pop in and visit, no booking, like most other university open days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No one asked me for my name last year, even after I had booked! You don't have to book college tours or talks, just the day so you could really just pop in... Might as well just book though, I'm sure it serves them some purpose!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elcor)
    I hope the data comes back on today
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Maybe this is a bit desperate, but you didn't happen to see the Christ's Philosophy data, did you?
    2015 Offer data is back!

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics

And, re Philosophy @ Christ's, 10 applicants, 3 offers.

ReputationRep:
    Maths offers down slightly this year. Fitzwilliam offers up. They will be strict on step for my college im guessing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    According to the offer statistics, there are two offer holders for AMES at Queens'. One of those is me, does anyone know who the other one is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Maths offers down slightly this year. Fitzwilliam offers up. They will be strict on step for my college im guessing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied directly to Fitzwilliam?

I am trying to figure out how the pool system works :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)

Yh i did. There were 13 straight offers out of 38 applicants. And 5 offers from the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yh i did. There were 13 straight offers out of 38 applicants. And 5 offers from the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to check how Trinity works
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

What would you like to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What would you like to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a couple of pools. I don't understand how it really works.
    Trinity, I was told to be careful by applying to it because of the big pool :confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    There are a couple of pools. I don't understand how it really works.
    Trinity, I was told to be careful by applying to it because of the big pool :confused:
    Yes there are two pools.

The main one is the Winter Pool. This sits during January after the December round of interviews. In 2014, 887 offers came via the winter pool.

More info here:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...de-winter-pool

There is also a much smaller Summer Pool which sits during August after A-Level results are announced. This is only for Offer holders who may have missed their offer but other colleges feel are strong enough to be accepted. In 2014, 52 offer holders were accepted via the summer pool.

Regarding the Winter Pool, if you apply direct to Trinity (or any college for that matter) then a number of things can happen - basically:
    1) Trinity can reject you outright prior to interview.
    If not, Trinity interview you (most people get an interview) and then:
    2) Trinity reject you after interview
    3) Trinity compare you to the winter pool and decide to offer you a place anyway
    4) Trinity release you into the winter pool
    5) Another college fishes you from the pool and decides to offer you a place
    6) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, they may then offer you a place
    7) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, but rejects you
    8) Nobody fishes you from the pool and you receive a formal rejection from Trinity (the original college).

If you want to go to Trinity then apply there. The Pool acts as a safety net in case Trinity (or any college) hasn't enough places for good candidates than otherwise should get a Cambridge place.

(There are other scenarios but the above are the most common.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes there are two pools.

The main one is the Winter Pool. This sits during January after the December round of interviews. In 2014, 887 offers came via the winter pool.

More info here:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...de-winter-pool

There is also a much smaller Summer Pool. This is only for Offer holders who may have missed their offerbut other college's feel are strong enough to be accepted. In 2014, 52 offer holders were accepted via the summer pool.

If you apply direct to Trinity (or any college for that matter) then a number of things can happen - basically:
    1) Trinity can reject you outright prior to interview.
    If not, Trinity interview you (most people get an interview) and then:
    2) Trinity reject you after interview
    3) Trinity compare you to the pool and decide to offer you a place anyway
    4) Trinity release you into the pool
    5) Another college fishes you from the pool and decides to offer you a place
    6) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, they may then offer you a place
    7) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, but rejects you
    8) Nobody fishes you from the pool and you receive a formal rejection from Trinity (the original college).

If you want to go to Trinity then apply there. The Pool acts as a safety net in case Trinity (or any college) hasn't enough places for good candidates than otherwise should get a Cambridge place.

Thank very much, much appreciated

Once a person meets the offer, could he/she get pooled? ie if I get an offer from Trinity and I meet it could they still put me in the pool because too many have met their offers on that year
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank very much, much appreciated

Once a person meets the offer, could he/she get pooled? ie if I get an offer from Trinity and I meet it could they still put me in the pool because too many have met their offers on that year
    No. If you meet your offer you're in.

ReputationRep:
    No. If you meet your offer you're in.

Ok
    I just have to be made an offer and meet it :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Ok
    I just have to be made an offer and meet it :afraid:
    60% of trinity maths applicants were made an offer. Its probably harder to get an offer from them, but with the mind of applying to them and getting an offer from cambridge...you probably have the same, if not better, chances than most other colleges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    60% of trinity maths applicants were made an offer. Its probably harder to get an offer from them, but with the mind of applying to them and getting an offer from cambridge...you probably have the same, if not better, chances than most other colleges

Thank you for your encouragement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    My tutor has tried to put me off the idea and push towards Oxford but I've learnt from your experience Thank you

ReputationRep:
    My tutor has tried to put me off the idea and push towards Oxford but I've learnt from your experience Thank you
    Never Oxford just never

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.