Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Scientist Training Programme 2016 applicants! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joycejoy)
    Can someone please tell me what offers rank really means ? Clinical Engineering has 8 positions and my rank is 9. Does that mean I am the first one on the reserve list? Maybe there is still hope. will be absolutely gutted to be missing the offer just by 1 position.
    Do you mind me asking what interview score and shortlist score you got? Im ranked 17th so won't be getting on this year but just wondering what the difference is in scores?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welly909)
    People can hold offers for upto a week. So if offers went out on Monday they can be held until 16th May. For offers that went out on Monday they can be held until the 18th!
    Fingers crossed in that case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.eemia)
    Do you mind me asking what interview score and shortlist score you got? Im ranked 17th so won't be getting on this year but just wondering what the difference is in scores?
    Ofcourse . My interview score is 38 and shortlist score 52. I know how you feel .. i am feeling gutted as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse . My interview score is 38 and shortlist score 52. I know how you feel .. i am feeling gutted as well.
    What's yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nim1989)
    Awesome, I've accepted Sandwell and Dudley!
    I hope you don't mind me asking, what was your interview score, for reference? thanks. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDW93)
    Yeah I accepted my offer for clinical immunology at Heart of England!
    What did you score? I got 39 for my interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssgee1)
    Anyone who got an interview for Clinical Immunology or Microbiology - what shortlist score /60 did you get? I got 43 for Immunology and 42 for Microbiology and didn't get an interview so i'm trying to work out how much better I need to do next year! Thanks
    I scored 50 for Immunology.

I was actually on interview reserve, then a few days before I received an email saying that I have been invited for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshb1)
    Cheers! In terms of shortlisting scores I suppose its how you write the application as much as your experience itself. This was the first time I had applied so I was probably winging it abit with the written application. It was super hard trying to condense answers down into 200 words whilst maintaining what you think are the most important points.
    Yeah! You're right. Goodluck for your training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicTurtle)
    3 interview points less than you and I'm 13 places behind you in the rank!
    Must have been a lot of people tied on scores haha
    Yeah must have been really tight! What was your shortlist score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightwing_)
    Hey out of curiosity, did you submit pretty much the same application every year? I'll probably apply next year and was just wondering if it is likely I'll be able to just re submit more or less what I already have??

What have you been doing in the mean time over the last 4 years??
    Definitely apply again!! Just think about everything you can do to better your chances, you'll get there eventually! I've always written a fresh application each year, cos with new work experience or extra things I've done then I've had new stuff to talk about, and if my application didn't work one year then I wouldn't just want to use the same stuff again!

The first year I got on interview reserve list and only really had my degree (1st in Physiology) and some work experience in a cardiac dept which has actually proved invaluable. 2nd year I'd been working for a recruitment company but had some hospital volunteer work too, so could talk about patients there. That year I got offered West Sussex but couldn't move so far at the time so had to reject it (still wonder to this day what I was thinking!). Last year I'd worked for a year in a private research company so that emphasised the research side of things, but I didn't even get an interview so was a bit stumped. And this year I've been working on a research team in an NHS cancer hospital, and getting experience in clinics. To emphasise cardiac passion though I've attended a 2 day ECG course and done various online Heart Health and Cardiovascular courses - check out the website FutureLearn. I also volunteer with elderly people like befriending them so could talk about communication with people there. So gathered quite a bit of stuff over the years for the application! Good luck for next time round

ReputationRep:
    What's yours?
    Oh wow, I got 35 interview score and 53 shortlist score yet I'm 8 places behind you! Such tough competition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by and-94)
    Yeah must have been really tight! What was your shortlist score?
    49! Do they use the shortlist score if the interview scores are tied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nymv)
    I scored 50 for Immunology.

I was actually on interview reserve, then a few days before I received an email saying that I have been invited for an interview.
    Thanks, well done! Do you mind me asking what experience you have etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nymv)
    I hope you don't mind me asking, what was your interview score, for reference? thanks. x
    Interview 47, application 57 - ranked 4th, just made it! Competitive eh?

ReputationRep:
    What's yours?
    But congratulations! Hopefully you'll be lucky and 1 person will decline their offer!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Does anybody who understands this mad process, know what exactly my shortlist score means...i got 51 out of 60. (i made it to the shortlist reserve list but never got a call).

I really hate that they don't give feedback for people on the shortlist reserve-how am i meant to know what other people had that i didn't so i can try to improve before next years application! So close yet so farrrrrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicTurtle)
    49! Do they use the shortlist score if the interview scores are tied?
    Yeah they do - someone else on here only got one interview mark lower than me and was four ranks below because of the shortlist marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.eemia)
    But congratulations! Hopefully you'll be lucky and 1 person will decline their offer!
    Thanks very much. Unless people have recieved two offers, I see not much chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssgee1)
    Anyone who got an interview for Clinical Immunology or Microbiology - what shortlist score /60 did you get? I got 43 for Immunology and 42 for Microbiology and didn't get an interview so i'm trying to work out how much better I need to do next year! Thanks
    I got 57 for Clinical Immunology

ReputationRep:
    I was an in service candidate for clinical immunology and thankfully made it through! I will be based in Hampshire. I am slightly curious to know how I scored on each thing (but I am not sure I really want to know!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.