Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pongalo)
    can i ask a quick question to people that can speak japanese? more specifically about hiragana, basically i started learning hiragana on monday starting by learning the alphabet and i've found on two different sites that the symbol for 'ki' was different :s is there any difference?

Attachment 160264

I know its not the best quality but help would be appreciated
    No difference at all. It just depends on the font and/or the writer's preference.

ReputationRep:
    can i ask a quick question to people that can speak japanese? more specifically about hiragana, basically i started learning hiragana on monday starting by learning the alphabet and i've found on two different sites that the symbol for 'ki' was different :s

Attachment 160264

I know its not the best quality but help would be appreciated
    The first picture is usually how 'ki' is handwritten; the second is general computer output. You see this type of difference with the characters 'sa' and 'chi' too (and others I may have forgotten!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    No difference at all. It just depends on the font and/or the writer's preference.

(Original post by Paramore<3)
    The first picture is usually how 'ki' is handwritten; the second is general computer output. You see this type of difference with the characters 'sa' and 'chi' too (and others I may have forgotten!)
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

'so' can also be written in two different ways depending on the font and how old the writer is. 'fu' can also be written with the top stroke becoming part of the main central stroke -- so it becomes 3 strokes instead of 4. Also, in some fonts 'ri' becomes joined so it looks like a single stroke.

A few things to be careful of! I remember when I first started learning and thought the exact same thing! Basically, in handwriting, the style in the first 'ki' is pretty much ALWAYS used for ki, chi, and sa.

I work in a school in Japan and so I see a lot of handwriting every day and I have never seen anyone write ki, chi and sa in the second way in your picture (with it joined together). It seems that style is only for computers.

ReputationRep:
    I started teaching myself Japanese last December with the desire to become a TEFL teacher over there for a while. I did some work experience in a school of English with Japanese highschool kids so i can read Japanese handwriting fairly well, even though i don't know much kanji yet

I am going to study Japanese at university in September as an elective so i can't wait haha

For everyone doing any Japanese studying; がんばってみんな!

ReputationRep:
    今一羽!これわ猫です
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.