Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    i start uni in 2011(hopefully).
    Applied for medicine both in the UK and Australia, rejected from 3 UK universities so far, waiting for 1 more. Applied to Australia too, just had a UNSW Interview.

These questions are directed at the singaporean students studying in UK for Medicine,

What made you choose UK over Australia? Especially since UK's immigration laws do not allow int'l drs to continue on after FY2? Thinking of reapplying to the UK again if i get 4 rejections; but not sure whether it'll be worth it if i get an offer from Australia? (and in Aus term starts in Feb as opposed to Sept/Oct?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Unfair...! I got a conditional offer - they required me to verify my certs. Congrats anw. Is this going to be your firm?
    I'm not sure. working out the finances now... it's going to be expensive. sigh. Am weighing the costs against going to Warwick.

is this your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    wow wow that was a very comprehensive analysis there! i've discussed with my parents and from their pov they believe that besides oxbridge there really isnt much diff between a law degree from schools like ucl and 2nd tiers like notts if im practising in sg, so there's no point in taking a gap year just to apply to lse and ucl etc. so if i really wanna study law i might as well just go to notts.
    im still gonna apply for med, dent then accountancy/biz at nus, but if i dont get into med or dent i'll probably go to aus for med/dent or uk for law. dont really wanna leave sg though, cos im actually from china so if i leave my parents will be alone here plus i'll have to leave my bf. haha.
    anyway how's the econs course at nus? i've got a couple of friends who wanna do econs (in uk or nus) but im not really clear what are the potential career aspects that a econs degree can bring. what are you planning to do after you graduate?
    I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but from someone who finished my law degree in the UK and loved it, surely you should figure out first whether you are interested in law/medicine/dentistry as a priority? You really aren't going to enjoy any of these subjects if you are just doing them as a fallback choice, because they are a lot narrower in scope (and I would even say dull) than if you do say economics or business.

With regard to the recruiting practices of Singapore law firms, I've been through the system and Notts and LSE/UCL/KCL are probably on the same level. There isn't much difference in prestige; heck, it means nothing even if you have an Oxbridge degree. It's more a personal preference about whether you want to live in London or a campus university. You can still get by on the cheap in London if you look for crappy accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryhappyfeet)
    I'm not sure. working out the finances now... it's going to be expensive. sigh. Am weighing the costs against going to Warwick.

is this your firm?
    haha nope. firmed warwick. figured out that london is going to weigh down on my family's finance tremendously. are you going for warwick offer's reception?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    hi all,
    i start uni in 2011(hopefully).
    Applied for medicine both in the UK and Australia, rejected from 3 UK universities so far, waiting for 1 more. Applied to Australia too, just had a UNSW Interview.

These questions are directed at the singaporean students studying in UK for Medicine,

What made you choose UK over Australia? Especially since UK's immigration laws do not allow int'l drs to continue on after FY2? Thinking of reapplying to the UK again if i get 4 rejections; but not sure whether it'll be worth it if i get an offer from Australia? (and in Aus term starts in Feb as opposed to Sept/Oct?)
    I can't actually completely comment on this as I didn't really look at applying for medicine in Australia, and am fully intending to return to Singapore to practice when I qualify.

I believe they may have changed the criteria/etc for overseas students to remain in the UK (think I read something about that in the last couple of months), but I could be wrong. Although the process around applying for foundation year/etc seems to change quite frequently, so it probably will have changed by the time you need to do this!

ReputationRep:
    haha nope. firmed warwick. figured out that london is going to weigh down on my family's finance tremendously. are you going for warwick offer's reception?
    hmm actually... is the difference in cost between studying in KCL and Warwick really that substantial? I mean.. when you do put it in perspective to the total cost of studying there for 3 years.. I estimated somewhere in the region of 150K SGD for Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    120K SGD would be a more reasonable estimate, I'd think, for Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadimon)
    hmm actually... is the difference in cost between studying in KCL and Warwick really that substantial? I mean.. when you do put it in perspective to the total cost of studying there for 3 years.. I estimated somewhere in the region of 150K SGD for Warwick?
    well for law, the difference per year in tuition fees are £1000. since warwick law cost £11,500 and King's cost £12,500.

on their respective websites, warwick estimates £7250 for accommodation/food and other expenses besides tuition fees. while king's estimates £10,555 for their students.

well warwick will amount to £18,750 while king's adds up to £23,055 per year.

so the big difference is the london-living i guess. but to each his/her own in terms of expenses actually. im pretty sure £10,555 per academic year is fairly comfortable as the UK Border Agency's estimates are £7200 for a student in london and £5400 for a student outside of london.

so very subjective i guess. but looking at the tuition fees only, its a difference of £1000 per academic year.

p.s. i did my calculations and all cause i was deliberating between Warwick and King's 1 year back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    well for law, the difference per year in tuition fees are £1000. since warwick law cost £11,500 and King's cost £12,500.

on their respective websites, warwick estimates £7250 for accommodation/food and other expenses besides tuition fees. while king's estimates £10,555 for their students.

well warwick will amount to £18,750 while king's adds up to £23,055 per year. so the big difference is the london-living i guess. but to each his/her own in terms of expenses actually. im pretty sure £10,555 per academic year is fairly comfortable as the UK Border Agency's estimates are £7200 for a student in london and £5400 for a student outside of london.

so very subjective i guess. but looking at the tuition fees only, its a difference of £1000 per academic year.

p.s. i did my calculations and all cause i was deliberating between Warwick and King's 1 year back.
    Well, that amounts to a mind-wopping 15000 pounds for 3 years, based on prospectus estimate alone.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that amounts to a mind-wopping 15000 pounds for 3 years, based on prospectus estimate alone.
    it may be a mind-wopping cost difference as you put it. but well personal preferences i guess? depends on which school you want to be in/which environment you want to be in. and if one think the £15000 is worth the difference, then so be it.

and if you can scrim and save in london, you will probably bring your cost down by a lot as well, and that would definitely be a bonus. and i think the £10555 estimate for living expenses done by King's is a tad high, since the UK Border Agency estimated quote seems possible for one to get by as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! Anyone here studying medicine in Glasgow or Aberdeen? I'm curious about the Scottish environment ... Considering the relatively small number of Asians there, will it be easy for one to adapt/fit in well?

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone heading to Durham or Bristol for Law in 2011?

ReputationRep:
    anyone here received an answer from leeds medicine? cuz i haven't

ReputationRep:
    ohmy i never realised there was a singaporean forum. ANYHOO, mite as well start by introducing myself. HIHI im jillian lee and i've been in the uk for near 3 yrs and am doing my a levels here. Will be going to kcl law this yr )
    anyone with qns (about uk and uk living per se..OR EVEN ABOUT ME ) to the best of my ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jilly.0)
    ohmy i never realised there was a singaporean forum. ANYHOO, mite as well start by introducing myself. HIHI im jillian lee and i've been in the uk for near 3 yrs and am doing my a levels here. Will be going to kcl law this yr )
    anyone with qns (about uk and uk living per se..OR EVEN ABOUT ME ) to the best of my ability
    hellooo jillian. which accommodation are you gonna choose then?

ReputationRep:
    I have finally decided to firm kcl!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    hellooo jillian. which accommodation are you gonna choose then?
    well strand probably. having been to kings quite a few times to visit my friends, strand left me with quite a nice impression ) u?

ReputationRep:
    well strand probably. having been to kings quite a few times to visit my friends, strand left me with quite a nice impression ) u?
    placing intercolls as my first few choices.. en-suite not really a need, catered factor is more of a priority.

ReputationRep:
    strand's not all en-suite i guess... i think they cater as well dont they?

ReputationRep:
    strand's not all en-suite i guess... i think they cater as well dont they?
    wait, you meant Strand as in Stamford Street right. cause there's no accommodations at strand campus. the nearest one is Stamford Street. its all en-suite and they are self-catered, with a pay-as-you-eat-refectory if i am not wrong.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.