Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    The new actor will step out the TARDIS, come close to the camera, stand still and have their name CGI'd on to the screen ala JOHN HURT AS THE DOCTOR style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds awesome, thanks! Is there anyone you're hoping it will be in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Tough)
    Sounds awesome, thanks! Is there anyone you're hoping it will be in particular?
    That's just pure speculation by the way.

I'm not sure, I'm not fully convinced by anyone that's currently been mentioned for the role.
    I would just prefer some relatively unknown actor in the same way that Matt's appointment.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen Daniel Rigby in a play before and thought he was fantastic - I wouldn't mind him being the Doctor, just not sure if he's old enough yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Urgh, I doubt he would. I really don't like Moffat as a person

I wonder how he'll write the 12th Doctor? It's always seemed to me like Moffat has a very limited range of characters he can write. I'm scared that he'll write 12 with a very similar personality (all the quirkiness and goofiness) to 11.
    Honestly that's why I think they'd be better ditching him too. He started off ok in his first series as the lead writer (Matt's first series) but as it's gone on it's just become weird, and in my view, pretty naff. (Been a while since we had a story as good as some of Tennant's good episodes I think).

Anyway, whatever they do, I hope they get a Doctor who's older this time around - visibly older too. I think it would make a nice change to go with a more serious character (which, even though I liked Matt Smith, he couldn't do very well) who looks more experienced. I think they could have a more commanding presence basically and actually look like they are about 1000 years old... it would also show if Moffat really can write anything other than weird/quirky/strange, and fit with the supposed limit on regenerations (which they will almost certainly get around, and could then use the opportunity to bring in a younger actor again).

Just my thoughts on it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    http://eveningharold.com/2013/08/04/...-rights-to-bt/Spoiler alert: This evening's announcement detail leaked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perks)
    http://eveningharold.com/2013/08/04/...-rights-to-bt/Spoiler alert: This evening's announcement detail leaked
    I don't wanna open this if it says who the Doctor is gonna be, I wanna be surprised this evening, does it name the name or just details on the show?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I don't wanna open this if it says who the Doctor is gonna be, I wanna be surprised this evening, does it name the name or just details on the show?
    No spoilers worth mentioning Can't say I particularly get the article but it looks like BT is having an after show analysis so it's just about that.

ReputationRep:
    It's a spoof article. Doesn't contain any real spoilers.

ReputationRep:
    The show will be 35 minutes long according to the BBC tv guide. Wonder what they have in store. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, thought having Brain Cox was weird xD -dunce-

I'm way too tired today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    No spoilers worth mentioning Can't say I particularly get the article but it looks like BT is having an after show analysis so it's just about that.

Ah cool To be safe I think I'll avoid the IMDb board and Gallifey Base, people have a habit of talking about spoilers in a gung-ho fashion over there, as if everyone's already heard them so it can be annoying sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Pfft, thought having Brain Cox was weird xD -dunce-

I'm way too tired today...
    I was half convinced it was real for a minute or two. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I was half convinced it was real for a minute or two. :getmecoat:
    I think I must have just skimmed it as the slight against the 7th Doctor should have given it away :grumble: May we never mention this again

ReputationRep:
    The show will be 35 minutes long according to the BBC tv guide. Wonder what they have in store. :holmes:
    There will be a lot of audience stuff. They've asked everyone to come in cosplay. Also talking to Matt Smith and Moffat for a bit. And a lot of filler. The new Doctor will be there for maybe the last five minutes.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, apparently, only 11 people know who the new Doctor is.

It means most likely nothing, but Sam Troughton has suddenly shot to third in the betting. Just thought I'd say.

I would dearly love it to be him.

ReputationRep:
    Sam Troughton? *googles*

He was Much in the BBC's Robin Hood! I think he'd make quite a good Doctor actually, it'd be interesting to see him not being the sidekick.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't we had enough young white male Doctors yet? I remember Moffat saying he wanted an older Doctor until Smith came along and blew them away so it'll probably be a more mature actor unless someone amazing came along.

Personally, so long as they're a different 'type' of actor like John Hurt is, i'll be happy. It looks like it's a male though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23567602

'However celebrity photographer Rankin appeared to confirm a male actor had been
    cast in the role after tweeting: "Just photographed the next Dr Who for tonight's announcement. Let me know what you think of the photo? He's going to be an ace Dr."'

One day Tamsin, one day :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Damien Molony (*shrugs* me neither) is now third favourite.

I'd love it to be Peter Capaldi, but I can't see them going with an older actor.

Someone who hasn't been mentioned that much is Stephen Mangan. I think he'd make an excellent Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    What if zoe ball is the next doctor. I dont mind who the next doctor is as long as they make better scripts. Even though matt smith is a good actor I found all his episodes too childish.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.