Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay_em)
    For the Slim passage in OMAM, I mentioned that 'long dark hair' is a similar appearance to Jesus, with obvious connotations, which was something I read here. Is that a valid point or too silly?
    That's a really good point, and sounds original so they'll be impressed by your "creative response to the text" blah blah blah

ReputationRep:
    For the Slim passage in OMAM, I mentioned that 'long dark hair' is a similar appearance to Jesus, with obvious connotations, which was something I read here. Is that a valid point or too silly?
    its a long shot , but I makes sense and its quite intelligent , examiners love that sort of abstract stuff , I made a reference about his gravity and linked it to something aabout the brilliant light in the bunkhouse
    i also said he is ominiscent , because he appears to know everything

yeah I've failed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rihannagirl)
    why would you be marked down for that?
    Because it isn't a verb.

ReputationRep:
    Was not a fan of the Section A questions for Sunlight on the Grass. Did My Polish Teacher's Tie and only wrote a page, which itself contained only one real quote. :-( Did the mother's relationship with the children in When The Wasps Drowned for part b, which went a little better I suppose. Similar story for Section B - wrote loads about Slim with some pretty decent points in part a, and very very little at all in part b. Agggggghhh!!

ReputationRep:
    Something is confusing me.

For part b in Of Mice & Men, it specifically asked us of what the importance of power was to those who had it (along the lines of that) and refer to the context and society in general. I don't understand people talking about characters who have less power than others, as I'm 80% sure that it asked us for characters with more power and the importance of it.

Please someone clear my mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    I feel the same! I did the 'beast' question too (putting it in speech marks throughout the answer, I was unsure whether to or not) and it was AMAZING, there was so much to say! But I struggled more with the OMAM essay, there was less to say. In part a), I ended up continuously referencing how the ideas preseted in the passage were build up in the rest of the novel: 'godlike eyes', understanding George killing Lennie etc :/ -High five- LOFT chum.
    High-five! :grin: And ah, that's such a great point! I didn't really prepare so I felt that my points were pretty mediocore :cry2:

(Original post by Mallory)
    Dont worry I feel you , my AIC was dreadful , when I came out of my exam and people saw my face , they were like 'who died?' I just said my chances of getting an A* :no::no:
    Aw :no: I was the same, there were pretty much tears in my eyes when the invigilator announced that the exam had ended. My English teacher gave me a sympathetic pat on the back when I walked out the exam hall, haha. Hopefully the grade boundaries for an A* are pretty low...:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Urmm...I wouldn't have put that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rshabnam)
    Hey, I got 80/80 in coursework (25%) and let's just say I fared well in today's exam and got an A... how many marks would I need in the poetry exam to get an overall A*? Please help I'm so confused :s
    You'd need a UMS of about 68/70 I reckon, which is about 35/54 and upwards in raw marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchellshazia)
    Poetry UMS is 70, 37/40 for Unit 3 translates to 48 UMS - this adds to 118 so you only need 62/80 UMS in this exam for an A*, which translates to only 38/68 - just over half marks!
    You should be fine.
    You may find this useful for the future, it's what I used to work this out:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
    thanks so much! hopefully the exam went good enough to get at least 50% though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedSchool)

For part b in Of Mice & Men, it specifically asked us of what the importance of power was to those who had it (along the lines of that) and refer to the context and society in general. I don't understand people talking about characters who have less power than others, as I'm 80% sure that it asked us for characters with more power and the importance of it.

They asked how some characters might be seen of as more important than the others, I think. This means you could talk about Candy, Curley's wife and Crooks and say how the other ranch hands/characters would be seen of as more important than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    High-five! :grin: And ah, that's such a great point! I didn't really prepare so I felt that my points were pretty mediocore :cry2:

Aw :no: I was the same, there were pretty much tears in my eyes when the invigilator announced that the exam had ended. My English teacher gave me a sympathetic pat on the back when I walked out the exam hall, haha. Hopefully the grade boundaries for an A* are pretty low...:unsure:
    We should all have a TSR massacre with a big prayer for the grade boundaries to be low.
    I genuinely hope we all have done well. Another 30-35 days for us all then we can start prepping for a-level slowly but surely during our long 2.5month break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    They asked how some characters might be seen of as more important than the others, I think. This means you could talk about Candy, Curley's wife and Crooks and say how the other ranch hands/characters would be seen of as more important than them.
    It mentioned power twice, however. So are you allowed to talk about those who had less power? How is it marked?

ReputationRep:

You could have done it either way it doesn't really matter it was just easier to talk about people with less power in context as there's more things to talk about with how it represents the views of society e.g crooks racism curleys wife sexism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gee1234)
    You'd need a UMS of about 68/70 I reckon, which is about 35/54 and upwards in raw marks
    Oh thanks! Makes sense now

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god were we meant to write about characters more important in Of Mice and Men?! I only wrote about those less important than others D: D: D:

ReputationRep:

I wasn't really sure. I actually wrote about the fact that Slim has this gained power and how this somehow made others inferior. I related it to leaders in society. Probably doesn't clear your mind up, may confuse you even more. But tried to explain it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gee1234)
    Oh my god were we meant to write about characters more important in Of Mice and Men?! I only wrote about those less important than others D: D: D:
    That's my point exactly. I do feel bad. However are you answering the question asked by talking about the exact opposite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2525)
    For AIC I answered question 17 about the extract at the end but I also wrote the majority on language used throughout the book e.g dramatic irony and imagery? Did i answer this question wrong or will i still get marked for it? What was the actual Question?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND REPLY
    was this the question that was like how do you respond to the end of the play?

i wrote about techinqyes used at the end like the telephone ringing 'sharply' and the characters coming to realisation with the 'guilt' on their faces. I also mentioned the curtain falling down resembling a gulittin, which symoblises the end of their time etc...

ReputationRep:
    It mentioned power twice, however. So are you allowed to talk about those who had less power? How is it marked?
    Saying people are more powerful by saying that they are above others who are less powerful, and then giving reasons why they are less powerful than the more powerful ones is the same as talking about the more powerful ones and why they are more powerful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan075)
    I wasn't really sure. I actually wrote about the fact that Slim has this gained power and how this somehow made others inferior. I related it to leaders in society. Probably doesn't clear your mind up, may confuse you even more. But tried to explain it!
    Thanks. I chose not to write about Slim as i wanted to show contrast of which the examiners look for. I talked about how Curley had power through is dad (the boss) and how the boss (Curley's dad) had ultimate power of Curley

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.