Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seohyun)
    I thought it was 1 in 3 :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    So 2 in 3 get accepted? I would have no objection to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR561)
    Lololol. That would be sweet indeed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think it is:

Before the MAT: 6 applicants per place
    Interview Stage: 3 applicants per place

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got invitation via letter rather than email? Does that mean u r actually on the board line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YyrSTR)
    Has anyone got invitation via letter rather than email? Does that mean u r actually on the board line?
    I'm a home applicant and I only got a letter from Keble, no email. I'm applying for Computer Science.

(Original post by TSR561)
    I meant that only 1 in 3 get accepted.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    PROBLEM: what is the maximum value of of  x^2y + y^2z +z^2x-x^2z-y^2x-z^2y

given that  0 \leq x,z,y \leq 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahomyemane778)
    PROBLEM: what is the maximum value of of  x^2y + y^2z +z^2x-x^2z-y^2x-z^2y

given that  0 \leq x,z,y \leq 1
    write as (x-y)(x-z)(y-z).

By AM-GM , this is less than or equal to 8/27(x-z)^3 the max value of which is 8/27. so if we choose (x-z) = 1, we can choose y s.t the max value is 8/27.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewtonsApple)
    write as (x-y)(x-z)(y-z).

By AM-GM , this is less than or equal to 8/27(x-z) the max value of which is 8/27. so if we choose (x-z) = 1, we have the max value which is 8/27.
    :clap2:
    This is my first ever BMO1 three variable problem which I solved using one of the mean inequlities.
    Did you also sit BMO1 this year?

ReputationRep:
    :clap2:
    This is my first ever BMO1 three variable problem which I solved using one of the mean inequlities.
    Did you also sit BMO1 this year?
    Nice one! I sat BMO2 last year, almost qualifying for the Trinity camp. I am actually on a gap year studying my first year at Warwick university.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one! I sat BMO2 last year, almost qualifying for the Trinity camp. I am actually on a gap year studying my first year at Warwick university.
    How come a bright young man who almost made it to top twenty in country is not studying at Trinity College Cambridge?- you must be very smart.

Were you on top scorers list last year- Im just so amazed at people who can do so well in these olympiads- I find them so so hard

Also do you mind me asking what college you applied to? I hope to see you at Oxford whether I realise it or not

ReputationRep:
    Did I read that right? You're currently a first year but you're re-applying to join Oxford first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Did I read that right? You're currently a first year but you're re-applying to join Oxford first year?
    I think he's gonna start Warwick first year when this year's applicants start

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Its true, I thought I might as well as I have nothing much to lose.

ReputationRep:
    How come a bright young man who almost made it to top twenty in country is not studying at Trinity College Cambridge?- you must be very smart.

Were you on top scorers list last year- Im just so amazed at people who can do so well in these olympiads- I find them so so hard
    Nah Im good at olympiads but when it comes to uni-style maths its a different story. I got lucky that year in that the questions played to my strengths.
    I actually got a silver medal in BMO1 which means I'm not mentioned on the website.
    The reason I'm not at Trinity was because I missed my offer by a small margin. I achieved S,1,2 which is 1 grade below the requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Its true, I thought I might as well as I have nothing much to lose.
    Ah right. That's interesting. Why did you decide to do that, if I may ask out of curiosity?
    I mean, it's not like there's a vast difference in the how good both Warwick and Oxford's courses are, and the opportunities available at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    Nah Im good at olympiads but when it comes to uni-style maths its a different story. I got lucky that year in that the questions played to my strengths.
    I actually got a silver medal in BMO1 which means I'm not mentioned on the website.
    The reason I'm not at Trinity was because I missed my offer by a small margin. I achieved S,1,2 which is 1 grade below the requirement.
    How unfortunate I am guessing that you decided to stick to the pure questions of STEP III and missed offer because that part was very hard and full of complex numbers according to people on this website

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. That's interesting. Why did you decide to do that, if I may ask out of curiosity?
    I mean, it's not like there's a vast difference in the how good both Warwick and Oxford's courses are, and the opportunities available at the end of it.
    I agree with you, the courses are similar but I have always held Oxford and Cambridge in very high regard and it has always been a childhood aspiration of mine to go there.

ReputationRep:
    How unfortunate I am guessing that you decided to stick to the pure questions of STEP III and missed offer because that part was very hard and full of complex numbers according to people on this website
    I can't do applied basically, well not at least to the level required for STEP 3, I simply hadnt covered the material nor received much external support for preparation.

Tbf I thought i did quite well, I managed 4 full solutions but I guess I didnt check them so they may have been flawed. It was a tough paper this year.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, the courses are similar but I have always held Oxford and Cambridge in very high regard and it has always been a childhood aspiration of mine to go there.
    Ah right, fair enough. Probably a good choice, I prefer Oxford's course to Cambridge's :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I can't do applied basically, well not at least to the level required for STEP 3, I simply hadnt covered the material nor received much external support for preparation.

Tbf I thought i did quite well, I managed 4 full solutions but I guess I didnt check them so they may have been flawed. It was a tough paper this year.
    Well good luck, I'm sure you'll have no problems this year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.