Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0612)
    The ISC medical school interviews book is generally what every hopeful medicine applicant reads to prep for interview. That's what I used too

P.s 2nd edition is the latest btw.
    I WILL definitely try that......... I am currently preparing for my GAMSAT and UKCAT exam...so I willl be applying for graduate entry medicine this year for next year entry, I should be focussing on my exam preparations....but the thought of interviews and the type of questions they will ask...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeful_doc)
    oh my god! I am really scared now This is putting me off........ any ideas which books I can read about medical school interviews? or where I can practice my interview skills?
    It's hard but doable. Definitely ISC medical SECOND EDITION medical school interviews one.
    I read BBC news health every morning for a couple of weeks before my interview and swotted up on current events so its always good to do that.
    serioulsy though the ISC book was my bible and its fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for the waiting game?
    Still waiting on three post-interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberrysro)
    Any tips for the waiting game?
    Still waiting on three post-interview...
    Which three unis?

ReputationRep:
    Got one pre-interview rejection and three post-interview offers, I guess that means I'm better in the flesh than on paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple and gold)
    Which three unis?
    Cardiff, Liverpool and Bristol

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of when you find out if you got a medical school interview. I'm applying to Kings, Bristol, Leicester and Queens Belfast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _thequeen)
    Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of when you find out if you got a medical school interview. I'm applying to Kings, Bristol, Leicester and Queens Belfast.

It varies really, some start as early as November and go on till march. It's different everywhere, have you looked on the unis websites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _thequeen)
    Hey,

On your list, Bristol could be March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya_Biju)
    Hey everyone!
    I am applying to medicine this year and I am about to start preparing for my interviews (that's me hoping that I will get at least one interview!). I couldn't find any Medicine Interview Prep thread for 2014 so I thought I will start one.
    As the application deadline approaching, more people will start sending off their applications. I'm starting this thread for those who want to start interview preparation as early as possible. Can I just emphasize that this thread is for interview preparation, not post-interview discussion. Please refrain from doing so as it is against TSR policy.

ISC Medical School Interview Book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho...8829215&sr=8-2
    I would highly recommend buying this book as I have been told it provides a lot of help with interviews. This seems like the most popular interview prep book among medicine applicants. (I just ordered mine )

If you know of any other useful interview prep material, please share it as it will be useful for other people too.

Sharing is caring

Lets all hope that all our hard work pays off !! Good luck future Doctors!

Hi,

I am thinking of going to a Mock Interview course...Elite IB Tutors is holding one on Nov 22nd or 29th. Has anyone ever gone to it or would you even recommend a mock interview before the real thing?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flora1234)
    Hi,

I am thinking of going to a Mock Interview course...Elite IB Tutors is holding one on Nov 22nd or 29th. Has anyone ever gone to it or would you even recommend a mock interview before the real thing?

Thanks!
    Having a mock interview definitely helps, just remember different med schools carry different styles of interviews! When I was applying I asked my biology teacher if he could give me a mock interview and it helped a bunch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang599)
    Having a mock interview definitely helps, just remember different med schools carry different styles of interviews! When I was applying I asked my biology teacher if he could give me a mock interview and it helped a bunch
    Thanks for your reply, that's a good point about the different styles of interviews! Has anyone ever gone to Elite IB Tutors? They seem like a good, solid and dependable company and their med mock interview seems to be filling up quite quickly- which means they must be good! (i gave them a call today to register my interest)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, that's a good point about the different styles of interviews! Has anyone ever gone to Elite IB Tutors? They seem like a good, solid and dependable company and their med mock interview seems to be filling up quite quickly- which means they must be good! (i gave them a call today to register my interest)
    It depends how much they are, I wouldn't bother spending a lot of money on them when you can quite easily practice them for free with teachers and family members etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering when and how i should start preparing for any interviews i may recieve ,are there any courses such as the isc medical or acemedicine course you would recommend?

the unis i am applying to are

cardiff( 20 min interview)
    liverpool again a pannel interview
    lancaster -mmi
    bristol -mmi

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr who11)
    I was wondering when and how i should start preparing for any interviews i may recieve ,are there any courses such as the isc medical or acemedicine course you would recommend?

the unis i am applying to are

cardiff( 20 min interview)
    liverpool again a pannel interview
    lancaster -mmi
    bristol -mmi

thanks in advance
    Cardiff is a 20 minute "friendly chat" about your personal statement. Liverpool may be MMI, final decision not made yet!
    You need practice interviews from somewhere. You cannot go into a live interview as your first one! The courses are useful if expensive. There is a host of information on the websites of all your choices and the other med schools about interviews and what they are trying to find out. You can start but don't go overboard. You have your A levels to pass! You might not hear from Bristol until March!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryH)
    It depends how much they are, I wouldn't bother spending a lot of money on them when you can quite easily practice them for free with teachers and family members etc.

That's true... I think I would feel more comfortable doing a mock interview with strangers and it's £175 for the day- is this a good price?

ReputationRep:
    Most unis have this info on their website.

I actually got an email today from HYMS and I was crapping myself thinking I had already been rejected for some reason (!!!) but it turns out it was preliminary interview dates set for Dec and Jan. I cant decide if that was helpful or not lol!

ReputationRep:
    That's true... I think I would feel more comfortable doing a mock interview with strangers and it's £175 for the day- is this a good price?
    No, it's just a money making scheme, exactly like Medlink. They won't be that helpful and they're really just companies looking to make money.

ReputationRep:
    Dont waste your money! It is a money making scheme. Buy yourself something nice instead.

I went to the ISC medical interview course last year and it was a huge waste of money. They discussed exactly what is in the book anyway. You're better of buying the ISC book and reading it yourself at your own pace and its only £25.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.