Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    The offer rate for direct applicants to read PPE was 1 in 5 and the A* GCSE range for candidates gaining an offer was 5 to 12, with a median of 9 A* (conditional on taking GCSEs).
    May I request standardized test profiles of PPE applicants who were shortlisted for interview(if not possible, who received an offer) with AP and SAT scores. Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylmdk)
    May I request standardized test profiles of PPE applicants who were shortlisted for interview(if not possible, who received an offer) with AP and SAT scores. Thank you.
    We don't have this information - sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylmdk)
    There were 91 applicants and 18 received offers (an acceptance rate of 20%). Across the University as a whole, the acceptance rate for PPE was 15%
    http://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_...owVizHome=no#2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylmdk)
    I'm an non EU international, and I'll apply Oxford PPE for 2016 entry. I meet minimum qualifications with 4 SAT subject tests above 700 and 2 Advanced Placement Tests with scores of 5. I get consistently above 75 in TSA practice tests. However my school is a highly competitive school of my country, and because of its international status, we're required to learn both French and Turkish high school curriculums. I devoted much of my time to my schools' courses. But it doesn't offer AP courses or subject tests and related courses are either nonexistent(like comparative government) or given in last year(like Calculus), so I had to study those standardized tests on my own, and got low scores in some of them. I have a 3 in Calculus BC(with a subscore of 5 for Calculus AB) but I also have a 770 in SAT Maths 2 subject test. My school will send a letter about my circumstances which I explained above. I also have 4s in 2 other AP tests, but I'll retake all these tests this year with predicted grades of 5. Do low scores hurt application despite meeting minimum requirements? If they do, would Oxford consider my extenuating circumstances?
    It sounds as though you are saying that you meet the required standard offer for PPE in a combination of SATs and APs in appropriate subjects. That being the case, were you to receive an offer we think it would be an Unconditional Offer.

You will need to declare all of your results in SATs and APs with the date taken. We understand your question to be 'should I be anxious about my other lower APs?'. If your school supplies the context (which should be in the UCAS reference rather than a separate letter) and you succeed in scoring anything close to the 75 TSA result obtained in practice, we do not think these results will wreck your chances given what you have said.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googolplexity)
    I was ill the day of my General Studies paper that was worth 70% of the grade, and so got a U (which I wasn't too bothered by because hey its general studies), but I just found out you have to report all grades to UCAS. Are Oxford gonna care that I got a U in such an unimportant subject and if so (where) do i mention the circumstance of being ill?
    Most universities (including Oxford) exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking from their offers because they don't consider it to be of equivalent importance to a "normal" A Level. So no, Oxford probably isn't going to care about it, assuming your other grades are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Most universities (including Oxford) exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking from their offers because they don't consider it to be of equivalent importance to a "normal" A Level. So no, Oxford probably isn't going to care about it, assuming your other grades are fine.
    Conditional Offers exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking. We advise that your school (briefly) notes your illness during the GS exam in the UCAS reference. A selector would probably infer that was the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Does your school certificate all AS grades?
    Uhhh isn't it exam boards that certificate grades and not the test centres?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Conditional Offers exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking. We advise that your school (briefly) notes your illness during the GS exam in the UCAS reference. A selector would probably infer that was the case.
    Okay thank you:-)

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: ABBBBCCC (I have extenuating circumstances)
    AS Levels: AAAA in History, Law, Sociology, Government and Politics
    A Levels: AAA in History, Law, and Government and Politics

I'm applying for History and Politics at Oriel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    GCSEs: ABBBBCCC (I have extenuating circumstances)
    AS Levels: AAAA in History, Law, Sociology, Government and Politics
    A Levels: AAA in History, Law, and Government and Politics

I'm applying for History and Politics at Oriel
    What made you choose Oriel? I've been looking at the same course there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Beautiful college!

ReputationRep:
    Applying for maths and struggling with a personal statement, any tips? I have A* (A level maths) AAA (AS chemistry, biology, history)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Beautiful college!
    Fair enough!

How are you finding the balance between History and Politics in your PS?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    My predicted grades won't come out until December or something and when I asked the principal and my teachers today if they can predict me my grades a bit earlier, they refused to do so, saying that it's 'impossible'.
    What do I do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)
    Hey everyone
    My predicted grades won't come out until December or something and when I asked the principal and my teachers today if they can predict me my grades a bit earlier, they refused to do so, saying that it's 'impossible'.
    What do I do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll need to explain to your principal, or teachers, or whoever is responsible for your reference, that you can't apply to Oxford if you don't have a set of predicted grades by the October deadline. It might be inconvenient for your school but it's important that you explain that it's impossible for you to apply without those predicted grades. Hopefully they will be reasonable and will reconsider.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough!

How are you finding the balance between History and Politics in your PS?
    There is more politics for politics as I've done more work experience in that and extra-curricular. Also, I'm applying for Government at LSE, and Politics at Durham, Warwick and Exeter so it's harder to write the PS but I think it's coming along ok

ReputationRep:
    Go for Oriel!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Go for Oriel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha why? I really like Magdalen too

ReputationRep:
    Haha why? I really like Magdalen too
    That's where I'll be studying :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    I just submitted an essay I wrote in class (I'm not sure English allow that though) some friends did an essay in their own time and had it marked. Others submitted a homework essay. Oxford wants A2 standard I think, so GCSE coursework wouldn't be the best idea it also has to be marked. I think as long as you can talk about it fairly well and it's within the word count (I think up to 2,000 words) most things should be ok.
    Here's what the requirements are (from the English department website)

'Candidates are required to submit one recent example of writing, by 10 November 2015. This should be a marked essay produced in the normal course of your school or college work and should not have been rewritten after marking. Preferably it should be an analytical discussion of a topic or topics in the field of English literature, though an English language topic is permissible. It should not be a short timed essay, a critical commentary on particular passages of text (practical criticism exercises), or a piece of creative writing.'

I know everything can seem terrifying but try to think of it as... exciting!

Thank you kindly for this useful bit of stuff! It has helped to quell my confused panic a fair bit. Now, suppose I was to submit a bit of AS coursework..? Or possibly A2 Coursework? Does this fall into the category of ' a marked essay produced in the normal course of your school or college work, not rewritten after marking', does anyone know? At the moment the best I have to offer is a quite OK AS essay but i've just realised it says by November, so maybe I'll have considerably upped my game by then (ahhh let's hope shall we) .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.