Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not applying for 2016 entry but I sat the UKCAT today as a sort of practice run and got 730, so happy! I keep going back and forth as to whether I'm good enough to bother applying for 2017 and this is such a boost, at least now I know I can get a competitive score to get an interview regardless of anything else

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just to clarify if you apply to a 5 year course (as a grad ofc), you must meet all their requirements right? Such as A Levels, GCSEs etc?

Edit: I'm looking at Barts' five year course and I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but they seem to say it's okay if your degree has good enough amounts of bio/chem.. or a BB at A Level for bio and chem. Does that mean the A Level requirements are slightly different?

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...100/index.html - That's the link I'm looking at.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ohmyBEAUT)
    Hi all,

Just to clarify if you apply to a 5 year course (as a grad ofc), you must meet all their requirements right? Such as A Levels, GCSEs etc?

Edit: I'm looking at Barts' five year course and I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but they seem to say it's okay if your degree has good enough amounts of bio/chem.. or a BB at A Level for bio and chem. Does that mean the A Level requirements are slightly different?

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...100/index.html - That's the link I'm looking at.
    Yes. Most places have different a level requirements for grads. Bristol I think still requires AAA or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Yes. Most places have different a level requirements for grads. Bristol I think still requires AAA or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Bristol:

Graduates are required to obtain a 2:1 in their degree and at least AAB at A-level including Chemistry at grade A and one other lab-based science subject at grade B or above. Also a minimum of four subjects studied at AS-level, with minimum grade C in fourth subject OR a minimum of grade C in an EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    For Bristol:

Graduates are required to obtain a 2:1 in their degree and at least AAB at A-level including Chemistry at grade A and one other lab-based science subject at grade B or above. Also a minimum of four subjects studied at AS-level, with minimum grade C in fourth subject OR a minimum of grade C in an EPQ.
    I think ForestCat was referring to A-level requirements for grads applying to the 5 year course at Bristol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    I think ForestCat was referring to A-level requirements for grads applying to the 5 year course at Bristol
    Indeed. And that Bristol tend to still require similar a levels for grads as undergrad applicants. Whereas a lot of other 5 courses have more relaxed a level requirements for grads applying (they allow it to be compensated by degree).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    They ARE the requirements for graduates on the 5 year A100 course!

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...e/mb-medicine/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    They ARE the requirements for graduates on the 5 year A100 course!

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...e/mb-medicine/
    Yes, but I was just referring to Bristol as an example of a med still requiring quite high a-levels from grads. Many 5 year courses have more lax a-level requirements. I didn't need to know the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Yes, but I was just referring to Bristol as an example of a med still requiring quite high a-levels from grads. Many 5 year courses have more lax a-level requirements. I didn't need to know the requirements.
    I was replying to Sam! I know what you were saying, I think that she/he just misinterpreted what I was saying.

Oh, yes, I also see what you were saying. Many places do relax their requirements, but Bristol remain very fussy.

ReputationRep:
    UGH Start my NA/HCA job on Tuesday. 7am-8pm shifts.... Looks like my revision is going to be at night!!! Exam on the 24th and I feel so underprepared 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-W-T)
    Heya HCAssistant are you applying again or did you get into Leicester in the end?
    No I'm applying again! Didn't get an interview to Leicester they emailed me saying I was one mark off the the cut off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do a lot of graduates apply for A100 as opposed to a100? Are school leavers and grads treated differently for a100 ( i.e grads need a higher interview score)?

ReputationRep:
    lol lol just sat my UKCAT and got 690. Still going to try even though my UKCAT is a little on the low side for some of my preferred unis. Really want to go to Warwick and I know the lowest offer they gave had a 700 average last year (or year before). So here's hoping everyone did worse than before.

Anyone have any advice on which unis to definitely avoid?

Meh. At least I improved on my score from first time around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chjw51)
    lol lol just sat my UKCAT and got 690. Still going to try even though my UKCAT is a little on the low side for some of my preferred unis. Really want to go to Warwick and I know the lowest offer they gave had a 700 average last year (or year before). So here's hoping everyone did worse than before.

Anyone have any advice on which unis to definitely avoid?

Meh. At least I improved on my score from first time around.
    I would avoid Southampton and Newcastle for sure. If you're a science grad then kings might be ok since I reckon their cut off will go down this year due to the narrowing of their applicant pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This may be a silly question but with the GAMSAT cut offs for Notss and SGUL, if you're applying with a predicted degree class do you have to meet the cut off for that class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstieW)
    There's no benefit what so ever to sending your application off early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there a set date for when the results of the UKCAT are published?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisjp92)
    Apparently this year there will be some published a few days before the UCAS deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisjp92)
    9th October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Birmingham only accept a 1st class degree or will they take into account the type of degree/masters if you only have a 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willfletcher1)
    Does anyone know if Birmingham only accept a 1st class degree or will they take into account the type of degree/masters if you only have a 2:1?
    They said they typically consider 1sts and high 2:is but not sure if they distinguish between master's etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.