The Uni Study Thread Mark IV Watch

Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
Hi, I was wondering if any of you could advise me please. I'm changing courses after this year into a different course and I am not feeling very optimistic about the exams I'm about to take. I don't know whether to email someone and ask whether I should sit them or not. My main concerns are that if I fail them it would reflect badly on me and I don't think I have enough time or motivation to revise to do well in them. But at the same time I don't want whoever I'm emailing to think of me as lazy and I don't want them to withdraw the place from me. Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Do you need a certain grade this year to get on to your new course?

I imagine you will be told that you have to take these exams, they aren't usually optional even if you are transferring. It is worth emailing someone to find out what the situation is though, what the consequences would be etc. but yeah, be careful how you word that!
hellokittymad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
start an OU degree in October in Childhood and Youth studies and have to do all the preparatory reading before hand....any suggestions on where to start with things like what I need to remember from the books or how to make notes from them accurately?
DasSnipez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Project crashed and corrupted my save file, lost 2 days work.

Milestone due on monday.

Lots of work to do.

Not a lot of time to do it.

Me right now -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZh4WcdC3s
emmnemm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DasSnipez)
Project crashed and corrupted my save file, lost 2 days work.

Milestone due on monday.

Lots of work to do.

Not a lot of time to do it.

Me right now -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZh4WcdC3s
im so sorry!!!

annnnnnnndddd I'm done with finals!!! freeee!
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just submitted my preferred 5 supervisors for next years project

heres hoping I'll get one of my top choices
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Antifazian)
Do you need a certain grade this year to get on to your new course?

I imagine you will be told that you have to take these exams, they aren't usually optional even if you are transferring. It is worth emailing someone to find out what the situation is though, what the consequences would be etc. but yeah, be careful how you word that!
I don't think so as it says unconditional offer which I've accepted and now my student portal says "Offer accepted, expected to enrol". I think I'll just sit them and hope I manage to scrape a pass as I don't want to give off the wrong impression.
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Currently, one topic for an exam next week - the lecturer uses a lot of redundant steps while other lecturers from other universities approach the same problems with a streamlined approach.

Not sure whether to just bin what the lecturer did and focus on the simpler approach which gives the same answer?
Psyc_Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
First exam tomorrow, worked so hard for it - let's hope it pays off. Really nervous though

Posted from TSR Mobile
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Psyc_Girl)
First exam tomorrow, worked so hard for it - let's hope it pays off. Really nervous though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
exams make me feel like death

0 motivation
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Got like 11 days to finish my dissertation, do my project (make a book from scratch, write like 1000-2000 words), write my essay (3300 words) and do my website blog posts (equiv. of 3300 words).

HAHA ****ED.

But... from the 3rd June to 1st July, I'm away for an entire month INTERRAILLING. Going to Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Venice, Rome and Paris. So excited and everything is amazing with my boyfriend. He da 1.
Psyc_Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Antifazian
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One more 2,000 essay to write, hoping to get that all read for and planned out today. Then 16,000 words of dissertation to do over the summer! I feel confident about my topic and argument, but sitting down to actually do the research and write it is always so uncomfortable at first. :work: I'm going away quite a lot too, really hoping I haven't screwed myself over there.

Still waiting on too many essays being marked to know if it's a possibility for my masters, but I would really love to end up getting firsts in both degrees :daydreaming: No one expected me to even pass my GCSEs so it would feel so sweet.

Good luck to everybody with exams and deadlines this week. Power through! :dumbells:
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel like I'm just reading for revision every time I start revising I just can't see how it's going to go in, but with the exam being only 8 days away, I don't really feel like I have time to wait for it to sink in... hopefully I'll be able to remember more than I realise, I actually enjoyed this module for once.
Antifazian
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sliceofcake)
I feel like I'm just reading for revision every time I start revising I just can't see how it's going to go in, but with the exam being only 8 days away, I don't really feel like I have time to wait for it to sink in... hopefully I'll be able to remember more than I realise, I actually enjoyed this module for once.
Don't just read - read, and then condense that information into a form that is easier to remember. Like using cue cards, or mind maps, posters, or even just your own set of crib notes. Then test yourself on whether you have remembered it or not by trying to write out key points again, for example, or verbally rehearsing them. Eight days is a long time (I know people who only leave a week to revise for exams!), you still have plenty of time to revise effectively, good luck!
arguendo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So freaked about first exam tomorrow. ARGHHHHH

It doesn't help that I am winging it massively - got to answer 3 questions; have picked 3 topics. Please let them all come up FML

Posted from TSR Mobile
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arguendo)
So freaked about first exam tomorrow. ARGHHHHH

It doesn't help that I am winging it massively - got to answer 3 questions; have picked 3 topics. Please let them all come up FML

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I did this during my January exams. I won't lecture on how you should have a variety, because if you had time you probably would! Focus well on those 3 topics, but I do advise you read over all of your notes you've taken for the module if you can. I'm not saying deeply revise, but just refresh that information in your brain so if the worst comes to the worst, you won't be completely abandoned in the exam, you'll have something to write about.
Best of luck to you!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Best of luck to the undergrads with their final pieces of work due. And postgrads with dissertations ahead- please keep posting in here so I know I'm not alone in coursework working over summer. Thankgoodness my dissertation is only 12,000 words given I'm such a slow writer and I'm still confused about what I'm actually doing it on. Currently sat in the library pretending to work because I don't have anything else to do and I was sick of sitting at home after being in almost all weekend.
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Best of luck to the undergrads with their final pieces of work due. And postgrads with dissertations ahead- please keep posting in here so I know I'm not alone in coursework working over summer. Thankgoodness my dissertation is only 12,000 words given I'm such a slow writer and I'm still confused about what I'm actually doing it on. Currently sat in the library pretending to work because I don't have anything else to do and I was sick of sitting at home after being in almost all weekend.
I'll be preparing post graduate applications over summer in addition to working in a lab

molecular biology tomorrow! :eek:
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lilGem)
I'll be preparing post graduate applications over summer in addition to working in a lab

molecular biology tomorrow! :eek:
best of luck with all that! you going for an MSc or straight onto a Phd? How did the move go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads