The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Global warming will not cause extinction. Africa may be screwed but here in Britain we'll survive with a few more extreme weather events.
Where will the Africans go?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Where will the Africans go?
Not here. Preferably they'd stop breeding or just cram into the okay African countries.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not here. Preferably they'd stop breeding or just cram into the okay African countries.
That's pretty disgusting.

Like - scum level disgusting.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's pretty disgusting.

Like - scum level disgusting.
Since when is not filling your countries with the third world disgusting.

I'm more than happy for a million Canadians, Australians and Americans to turn up, even the Japanese.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Though I'm sure the opiam wars were forcing china to accept capitalism at least for tea. Actually didn't tea start capitalism?
You do have a point when it comes to the Opium Wars (and with me being ethnically Chinese you can imagine what I feel about that). Nevertheless, Communism was not much better either and equally had a role to play in hindering the development of China (see the disastrous Great Leap Forward). What counts is that in the present market reforms that increase their openness has clearly increased China's prosperity.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How can you even think that? I challenge you to go and live there for a month (prefably a year of two) and then say that. What you fail to grasp is that the majority of people are good people like everywhere though you only hear about the bad, like how whenever you think of Russia Putin and comunism spring to mind... The brain has a tendency to focus on the bad over the good and the media only ever report the bad because the good is 'boring' you need to learn to rebalance everything the media tells you with reality and if you don't know the reality assume the media are making it seem 1000* worse.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not exactly their fault they live in less economically developed countries - it could just as easily be you or me.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye!

To those who dislike opinions like this, I suggest you go live there for a while. I don't see why should it be our ordeal to donate to other cultures that are so vastly different and effectively push them to evolve. I'd say it would not help either party. Overpopulation in Africa is a pressing issue, perhaps one of their greatest threats, and the sooner it starts to decline, the better.

(Original post by Green_Pink)
It's not exactly their fault they live in less economically developed countries - it could just as easily be you or me.
It's not anyone's fault nor a fault in itself. I believe this whole point of view is wrong and global politics can't be dictated by feelings of individual compassion, otherwise we'd be living in an absolute mess. If we were able to evolve and build our standard of living without anyone's help, why can't they? Of course they won't have motivation if we continue to support them like our children.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
You do have a point when it comes to the Opium Wars (and with me being ethnically Chinese you can imagine what I feel about that). Nevertheless, Communism was not much better either and equally had a role to play in hindering the development of China. What counts is that in the present actual Free Trade has clearly increased China's prosperity.
You're chinese:zomg: I had no idea!!! The free trade has worked to a point, it has raised the East in the big cities but has created a massive wealth gap with west china the free trade has helped those on top but hurt those on the bottom.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm more than happy for a million Canadians, Australians and Americans to turn up, even the Japanese.
Why those countries in particular? It sounds like that statement is pretty heavily based on race.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Aye!

To those who dislike opinions like this, I suggest you go live there for a while. I don't see why should it be our ordeal to donate to other cultures that are so vastly different and effectively push them to evolve. I'd say it would not help either party. Overpopulation in Africa is a pressing issue, perhaps one of their greatest threats, and the sooner it starts to decline, the better.
Empowerment of women. Nuf said really.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
None of which is ample justification to make me think we should let hundreds of thousands of them come (of course a couple of hundred are not a problem if they are skilled).

It's sad that they've made poor decisions which have kept them poor but we can only do so much and taking them all in is a step too far.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
You're chinese:zomg: I had no idea!!! The free trade has worked to a point, it has raised the East in the big cities but has created a massive wealth gap with west china the free trade has helped those on top but hurt those on the bottom.
Surprised?

The thing is whilst there is undeniably inequality there, life for the vast majority of people is far better than it was during the era of Mao etc. My grandparents can very much attest for that. I would very much prefer an overall rise in standard of living even if it is a little unbalanced, to an equal environment of poverty and hunger. Yes, it's not perfect but nothing generally is. It's still a far better system that what they used to have.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The point is that they'll go somewhere, they'll have to. That scene by the way was based on an actual report by the EPA. Everywhere that isn't 80 feet above sea level will be under water, that will effect the UK, it will effect everywhere. Massive storms, great migrations, food shortages, water shortages, contamination and disease, these aren't problems that we can just shut our doors to.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

How about we make sure that as much of the world as possible remains inhabitable?

In any event, your views on Africans is worrying.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Why those countries in particular? It sounds like that statement is pretty heavily based on race.
Well there are more. In general i support immigration but i'd much rather have it from a pool of what i consider comparable nations (there are a billion people in Europe, the Anglosphere and developed Asia - ample skilled immigration). Additionally, they don't have the religious baggage of the Middle East for example.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Surprised?

The thing is whilst there is undeniably inequality there, life for the vast majority of people is far better than it was during the era of Mao etc. My grandparents can very much attest for that. I would very much prefer an overall rise in standard of living even if it is a little unbalanced, to an equal environment of poverty and hunger.
Very, I guess it's small minded of me but I assume mose people on here are white British...

but an equal standard which is also high... Anyway from what I've heard Eritrea is doing well for itself these days.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How about we make sure that as much of the world as possible remains hospitable?

In any event, your views on Africans is worrying.
I did state that i support the green agenda, they can benefit indirectly.

Compassion is great but there's a danger that it can prevent rational decision making.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're great guys but some of the TSR Tories views remind me of the old Atkinson sketch:
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Empowerment of women. Nuf said really.
Sorry?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads