St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    That is excellent!!!! You are going to slay it looooooool, I'm hoping for atleast 1 interview Inshallah, if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the UKCAT? x
    Loool, we'll wait and see! Inshallah yiu will and hopefully you'll get one at your first choice uni too. I got 2000 (667 average) so I didn't apply to Glasgow or Barts even though I loved them both. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray_029)
    I'm not even gonna lie cuz it's going to be very difficult as most uni's want at least a b in maths and eng language and oxford def wants a certain number of a*s as do some other uni's and a levels isn't going to be easy so don't underestimate it. I'd say to aim for foundation medicine which is just an extra year but it's mainly for ppl who have studied the wrong subjects (in which case you'd probs be asked to still get AAA) or have mitigating circumstances like living in a poor area or having low family income etc. (Do some research on these uni's). There's also the option to go through graduate entry but it is known for being more expensive as well as more competitive.

So basically it's not going to be easy but i wish u gd luck
    With C and D in GCSEs you won't have a chance even at graduate entry ,my son has few A* and As and rest all Bs ,At AS he got all As and A levels all A* he is struggling to get in just hoping this year he has applied to Exeter Leicester,Liverpool and foundation Southampton.May be you may qualify for foundation medicine at some medical schools but you need to satisfy requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Loool, we'll wait and see! Inshallah yiu will and hopefully you'll get one at your first choice uni too. I got 2000 (667 average) so I didn't apply to Glasgow or Barts even though I loved them both. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    THAT IS INCREDIBLE WELL DONE GYAL xxx I got 1850 - average 617 xx Tbh I don't have a first choice, I'll take what I can get hehe:biggrin::heart:
    What would your first choice be? x

ReputationRep:
    THAT IS INCREDIBLE WELL DONE GYAL xxx I got 1850 - average 617 xx Tbh I don't have a first choice, I'll take what I can get hehe:biggrin::heart:
    Thanks! And here I was thinking mine was average lol (my parents were so disappointed in me haha) niiice, not bad. Hehe, good to have that kind of viewpoint.
    I loved Liverpool the most but like you said, I'll take what I can get and I won't be heartbroken if I get rejected from Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    THANKS!!!

Haha, that's great to hear! I don't even know what an offside rule is lol.

We'll have to wait and see! (Literally, their first interview dates aren't until end of January)

AND we've used our common sense and applied to safe unis. I met a girl the same age as me while volunteering and she got a UKCAT score of 1700 and applied to Newcastle and Manchester! :eek: like I'm not judging or anything but when I asked her if she met the cutoff score she was like "no, but I thought I might as well apply there" and she applied to 2 BMAT unis so she hasn't got anywhere that's safe.

I used to love reading when I was younger l used to read like 11 books in a week haha. Now I can't finish a book, unless it REALLY grabs my attention. But yeah same, I don't read much anymore.
    Haha! Is your school subsidising the cost then or are they getting it for free? And me neither! I've already spent so much money on UKCAT, BMAT and UCAS as well as other resources I don't see much point in throwing more money away.

Jazakallah!!! I've heard that none of the Scottish unis have even started giving out interviews, is that correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think, that it's basically that you can't score, if, you're in the penalty box and there's no defenders in front of you? May be wrong, though :lol:

Well good luck, hopefully you'll hear back in December, then?

Really!? That's just a bit silly! :eek:
    I think with medicine, half of it is applying intelligently

I feel you probably wouldn't like the book, then :lol: Unless you're really interesting in ethics are the arguments behind them?
    They're getting them for free! It's not like an actual program, but they just have some healthcare professionals who are linked to the school in some way who offer to do practice with us, which is really good
    Applying to medicine gets so expensive, it's actually quite scary

I've heard Aberdeen have given out some interviews, Dundee should be this week, also

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! And here I was thinking mine was average lol (my parents were so disappointed in me haha) niiice, not bad. Hehe, good to have that kind of viewpoint.
    I loved Liverpool the most but like you said, I'll take what I can get and I won't be heartbroken if I get rejected from Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're parents were disappointed? My dad the strictest person ever somehow was like it's okay puther you tried.:hmmmm: But yeah pretty sure they're like yass now that you've got 2 interviews!!!!! My mum doesn't really understand how the education system works but she'd be proud of me if I worked as a lolly pop lady - which is an amzin job btw not dissin.

Inshallah you'll get 4 offers!!!! How did you find the BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I think, that it's basically that you can't score, if, you're in the penalty box and there's no defenders in front of you? May be wrong, though :lol:

Well good luck, hopefully you'll hear back in December, then?

Really!? That's just a bit silly! :eek:
    I think with medicine, half of it is applying intelligently

I feel you probably wouldn't like the book, then :lol: Unless you're really interesting in ethics are the arguments behind them?
    They're getting them for free! It's not like an actual program, but they just have some healthcare professionals who are linked to the school in some way who offer to do practice with us, which is really good
    Applying to medicine gets so expensive, it's actually quite scary

I've heard Aberdeen have given out some interviews, Dundee should be this week, also
    Hmm, considering I don't know what a penalty box is either, I don't think I can be the judge of that lol.

Hopefully!! Do you know when your others start interviewing?

I know right?!? I was GOBSMACKED when she told me and couldn't hide the look of shock on my face or in my voice lol. And that's exactly what I was thinking, I know some people who are applying to local unis because they don't want to move too far which is a dumb idea because all the ones in the north look at different things.

Haha, I probably won't purchase it then! I'm just waiting for the ISC book!
    That's amazing!!! That's really good actually, these people sound really nice if they're coming in their free time to do it and not getting paid! My college has negotiated a lower price on the MMI course but are pretty much paying for about 35 people to do it. Although there were 2 ex students who are meds at Liverpool who offered to come back and do some interview practice.
    I know! And some people just get all rejections which must be absolutely gutting!

Woohoo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    With C/D at GCSE you won't get into any UK Medical School, almost all require Maths/English/Sciences at grade B or above.

EDIT: I mean for standard undergraduate entry, i don't know if GEM has the same requirements.
    Talk about hopeless medic 😅

ReputationRep:
    You're parents were disappointed? My dad the strictest person ever somehow was like it's okay puther you tried.:hmmmm: But yeah pretty sure they're like yass now that you've got 2 interviews!!!!! My mum doesn't really understand how the education system works but she'd be proud of me if I worked as a lolly pop lady - which is an amzin job btw not dissin.

Inshallah you'll get 4 offers!!!! How did you find the BMAT?
    They gave me so much slack about it and kept going on about how I shouldn't have gone to Cambridge or India and I should've spent more time studying and blah blah blah. Then when I did the BMAT I accidentally let slip that it didn't go too well and my parents are giving me even more slack now! T_T Won't stop going on about how I'm defo gonna get rejected from Lancaster now! Your parents sound so amazing and supportive! And my parents don't really get the education system either but I have to explain everything to them. My parents are happy with 2 interviews but they're like "now if only you could interviews from Liverpool and Lancaster, that would be even better"

;-;

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They gave me so much slack about it and kept going on about how I shouldn't have gone to Cambridge or India and I should've spent more time studying and blah blah blah. Then when I did the BMAT I accidentally let slip that it didn't go too well and my parents are giving me even more slack now! T_T Won't stop going on about how I'm defo gonna get rejected from Lancaster now! Your parents sound so amazing and supportive! And my parents don't really get the education system either but I have to explain everything to them. My parents are happy with 2 interviews but they're like "now if only you could interviews from Liverpool and Lancaster, that would be even better"

;-;

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you told me a few months ago I would've told you that they're not being very supportive.

However, getting personal now , do you think you would be in the strong position you are in today (ie 2 interviews) if they didn't push you this hard?

Tbh, there have been times where I thought my dad was too harsh but I guess disappointing him has always pushed just to work that little bit harder.

Although I have to say they should be slightly more encouraging about the fact that you've got 2 interviews.

Tbh, I can be a really moody ***** sometimes but honestly, I wouldn't even be on this thread if my parents were not here for me - let's be real neither would you (not saying you're not intelligent but they are your driving factor so many kids grow up without their potiential being recognised our potiential has been almost unlocked by our parents)

Sorry getting pure lectury now but it's because I relate to your point of view so much because it was me about 2 months ago. My parents are far from perfect but they've done everything they could, I'll never be able to thank them for that. I always want to make them proud of me no matter what I do.

There is no such thing as perfect parents. don't forget that.

I know it can be really depressing when your parents are so negative, but it'll pass Inshallah - trust me, they're just as stressed as you.

I sincerely apologise if I've come across as rude but I've not seen my mum in +2weeks and it's making me more emotional than normal.:innocent:

But I'm honestly so proud of you, I know it's weird because I don't know you, you're currently my role model so don't doubt yourself. You've got this. x:console::console:

Out of interest, are either of your parents doctors? If not, what occupation are they in?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, considering I don't know what a penalty box is either, I don't think I can be the judge of that lol.

Hopefully!! Do you know when your others start interviewing?

I know right?!? I was GOBSMACKED when she told me and couldn't hide the look of shock on my face or in my voice lol. And that's exactly what I was thinking, I know some people who are applying to local unis because they don't want to move too far which is a dumb idea because all the ones in the north look at different things.

Haha, I probably won't purchase it then! I'm just waiting for the ISC book!
    That's amazing!!! That's really good actually, these people sound really nice if they're coming in their free time to do it and not getting paid! My college has negotiated a lower price on the MMI course but are pretty much paying for about 35 people to do it. Although there were 2 ex students who are meds at Liverpool who offered to come back and do some interview practice.
    I know! And some people just get all rejections which must be absolutely gutting!

Woohoo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel we're as hopeless as each other in this regard :lol:

Um, Dundee have interviews in December and January, UEA have them from December to March, and Barts have them from January to February, I think
    That means I could have all my invites/rejections before the new year :eek3::eek4::eek3:

I know! I also feel that uni is a time to spread your wings (as cliche as it sounds :lol:) and be away from home, it's harder to do so if you're close to home
    I feel I would have had the exact same reaction!

I've heard the ISC book is really good, so it should be useful when it arrives.
    I know! It's really good of them, and I am so grateful for it. My teachers are also offering to do interview practice with us as well, which would be good
    Your school sounds really good like that! And 35 people!? Wow! Are they all applying to medicine?
    That would be horrible, although I feel it's important to take it in stride and just re-apply if it's what they want to do

ReputationRep:
    If you told me a few months ago I would've told you that they're not being very supportive.

However, getting personal now , do you think you would be in the strong position you are in today (ie 2 interviews) if they didn't push you this hard?

Tbh, there have been times where I thought my dad was too harsh but I guess disappointing him has always pushed just to work that little bit harder.

Although I have to say they should be slightly more encouraging about the fact that you've got 2 interviews.

Tbh, I can be a really moody ***** sometimes but honestly, I wouldn't even be on this thread if my parents were not here for me - let's be real neither would you (not saying you're not intelligent but they are your driving factor so many kids grow up without their potiential being recognised our potiential has been almost unlocked by our parents)

Sorry getting pure lectury now but it's because I relate to your point of view so much because it was me about 2 months ago. My parents are far from perfect but they've done everything they could, I'll never be able to thank them for that. I always want to make them proud of me no matter what I do.

There is no such thing as perfect parents. don't forget that.

I know it can be really depressing when your parents are so negative, but it'll pass Inshallah - trust me, they're just as stressed as you.

I sincerely apologise if I've come across as rude but I've not seen my mum in +2weeks and it's making me more emotional than normal.:innocent:

But I'm honestly so proud of you, I know it's weird because I don't know you, you're currently my role model so don't doubt yourself. You've got this. x:console::console:

Out of interest, are either of your parents doctors? If not, what occupation are they in?
    This is getting very personal ahahahah. And actually no, because I sent off my UCAS without applying to Cardiff and my parents were OUTRAGED when the found out (I thought I'd told them! But it seems like there was a misunderstanding lol) so I had to ask for it back because they were like "do you really think other unis want you so desperately for medicine? No, you had such a good chance at Cardiff and you didn't even apply there!"

That is very true, they invest so much in our futures and to disappoint them at the last hurdle or so would be heartbreaking for them.

Haha, don't get me wrong they are happy but they just want me to get the last 2!

Aww, your parents do sound extremely supportive especially if they really encouraged you to go into medicine without forcing you to. My parents were actually NOT happy when I announced I wanted to do medicine. They were like "ARE YOU SURE??? Do you not want to do anything else? Teaching? Banking?" And they continued for days, but I was adamant.

Don't apologise at all! I totally get what you mean about wanting to make them proud, albeit maybe not for the right reasons (my mum keeps going on about what she's gonna tell everyone if I don't get into medicine >.>) And again, don't apologise, they really are stressed out and they don't need to be! And I get what you mean about not seeing your mum, it just makes it harder! I really hope you get to see your mum soon!

Awww, really? That means a lot to me!! You've been so kind and amazing on this thread, (even though this is all public and everyone is reading this aha) i really hope you do get the interviews!

Funny you should ask, my dad is a doctor (hence why he doesn't want me to become a doctor) and my mum doesn't work. What about your parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarab456)
    Congratulations! That's amazing! Do you mind me asking when you sent your UCAS application off? x
    Thank you! Think it was around about the 9th x

ReputationRep:
    This is getting very personal ahahahah. And actually no, because I sent off my UCAS without applying to Cardiff and my parents were OUTRAGED when the found out (I thought I'd told them! But it seems like there was a misunderstanding lol) so I had to ask for it back because they were like "do you really think other unis want you so desperately for medicine? No, you had such a good chance at Cardiff and you didn't even apply there!"

That is very true, they invest so much in our futures and to disappoint them at the last hurdle or so would be heartbreaking for them.

Haha, don't get me wrong they are happy but they just want me to get the last 2!

Aww, your parents do sound extremely supportive especially if they really encouraged you to go into medicine without forcing you to. My parents were actually NOT happy when I announced I wanted to do medicine. They were like "ARE YOU SURE??? Do you not want to do anything else? Teaching? Banking?" And they continued for days, but I was adamant.

Don't apologise at all! I totally get what you mean about wanting to make them proud, albeit maybe not for the right reasons (my mum keeps going on about what she's gonna tell everyone if I don't get into medicine >.> And again, don't apologise, they really are stressed out and they don't need to be! And I get what you mean about not seeing your mum, it just makes it harder! I really hope you get to see your mum soon!

Awww, really? That means a lot to me!! You've been so kind and amazing on this thread, (even though this is all public and everyone is reading this aha) i really hope you do get the interviews!

Funny you should ask, my dad is a doctor (hence why he doesn't want me to become a doctor) and my mum doesn't work. What about your parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg no way?!! Where had you initially applied that you had to swap with Cardiff? I'm assuming you're from Cardiff if they were that persistant - that's kind of like my dad, I had to apply to Glasgow and other 3 were up to me. He wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I hadn't at least tried! Tbh the unis do want you otherwise you wouldn't be getting interviewed!! So don't worry about that. Again sorry for being too forward

Awwn, really? My dad wanted me to stay in education, and essentially be the best at everything he's always been a good-pushy that way. But at 11 I decided I wanted to do medicine then I wanted to be a maths teacher and after doing work experience it pretty much confirmed that med was the path for me. lel.

And tell your mum not to worry about what people have to say, thankfully my mum doesn't give a **** about what other people have to say neither does my dad lol. We're kind of that one ostracized family in the big Asian family lol, mum side isn't a huge fan of my dad and make life hellish so we moved away so I don't need to worry about that. I get critiqued all the time by my mum's side one day I'm too fat another day my roti is too dry then I'm too skinny lmao - it's finding anything to say lol

And no worries, I meant what I said!!

Ahh that's so cool, at work experience I was working with a doctor and I was asking him loads of questions and at one point he revealed to me that he wouldn't want his children to pursue mediciine. I found this so interesting! Has dad said why he doesn't want you to study med?

And my parents run a little typical Asian corner shop, FREE SWEETIES lol
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    my roti is too dry
    At least you can make roti at all. I just go and buy some from the packs from Tesco's whenever my parents visit me. :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    At least you can make roti at all. I just go and buy some from the packs from Tesco's whenever my parents visit me. :ashamed2:
    Bruh I don't even know if it classifies as roti lmao, more like a biscuit. :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Got accepted for an interview at Kings two days ago! Very excited, but nervous.

I have the ISC Medical book and am using it to prepare for the MMIs, but is there any way to know what the stations will be? I know Birmingham is quite transparent with telling applicants what each of the stations are/what they're testing, but Kings seem to be quite vague from what I've researched.

Also, the status of my application (accepted for interview) has been updated on Kings Apply, but not on UCAS Track; does anyone know why that is?

And, just out of curiousity, has anyone got any interview offers from Bristol/Birmingham/Barts?

Good luck all with your interviews and applications!

ReputationRep:
    Thats the same UKCAT I got x f you don't mind me asking where did you apply and do you know if our score meets many of the cut offs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WC7867)
    Hi all,

Got accepted for an interview at Kings two days ago! Very excited, but nervous.

I have the ISC Medical book and am using it to prepare for the MMIs, but is there any way to know what the stations will be? I know Birmingham is quite transparent with telling applicants what each of the stations are/what they're testing, but Kings seem to be quite vague from what I've researched.

Also, the status of my application (accepted for interview) has been updated on Kings Apply, but not on UCAS Track; does anyone know why that is?

And, just out of curiousity, has anyone got any interview offers from Bristol/Birmingham/Barts?

Good luck all with your interviews and applications!
    I have one from Birmingham and I know some people with Bristol but I haven't heard yet

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.