660 (damn the shapes!)

Average: 745
(compared to last year's 620...)
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i had this for mine - what do you guys think?

"Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest a tendency to be a bit more self-sufficient, discreet and happy to make your own decisions. This may also mean that you may come accross as more private, reserved, self-reliant and introverted, which may sometimes make you appear more emotionally distant from others."

WTF????
Thats soooo not me!! And i answered it truthfully too!!
I think some bits like the "happy to make own decisions" is good but other than that, Med schools are sooo gonna turn me down once they read that!!!
That part is just sooooooo crap - hate it!!!!
motiv3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)

"Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest a tendency to be a bit more self-sufficient, discreet and happy to make your own decisions. This may also mean that you may come accross as more private, reserved, self-reliant and introverted, which may sometimes make you appear more emotionally distant from others."

WTF????
I think some bits like the "happy to make own decisions" is good but other than that, Med schools are sooo gonna turn me down once they read that!!!
it starts off superb Medicine Man then all of a sudden starts to say your a social outcast.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For my NCA it basically said:

"Damn, you're cold. Ice cold."

But I'm not sure as to it's purpose. I think it said on the sheet that it can't be used as a measure to see how good a doctor you'd be, so I can't imagine Uni's using it after that.

(Original post by o_d)
Where's the love for St. Andrews :P
I seem to be the only one on here applying there.
I keep thinking about applying there, but I'm a tad put off by how isolated it seems. I like big cities, and I'm swaying towards putting a second London one instead.
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by motiv3)
it starts off superb Medicine Man then all of a sudden starts to say your a social outcast.
i know - which i think is disastorous!!!!
I just hope they don't take it too seriously!! I'm in actual fact the opposite - extroverted, OTT, optimistic!!
Oh well, hope my PS, reference, GCSEs and A Levels prove to them that that test result is bogus on my part!:yep:
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by motiv3)
OMG i had mine today and i got EXACTLY the same response for NCA. however... i think theres different ways of analysing these. For example, whilst you would expect a doctor to be caring and empathetic... isnt it an advantage to be kind of distant - not to get involved emotionally, for your own wellbeing and also to be able to carry on with your job?

thats just me being positive :s

umm.. i got 605 on average. Should i be worried. :/
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hang on, do uni's actually look at the NCA comment? mine said i'm too much by the laws and may conflict when it comes to protecting the rights of an individual...or something along those lines. overall it didn't seem like a very positive comment. i thought they only looked at your score?
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i thought the same thing at first too - being emotionally distant is good in a sense; it means you don't cry when a patient dies or something. It might also mean that you come across as less empathetic too. But then again, coming to think of it, my GP and most doctors i saw on my w/e were like that; they seemed slightly intoverted!
Again, i think i'm trying to make myself feel better! :P
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
OMG i had mine today and i got EXACTLY the same response for NCA. however... i think theres different ways of analysing these. For example, whilst you would expect a doctor to be caring and empathetic... isnt it an advantage to be kind of distant - not to get involved emotionally, for your own wellbeing and also to be able to carry on with your job?

thats just me being positive :s

umm.. i got 605 on average. Should i be worried. :/
average is 600 - you're slightly above average - think about it, its better than being below it!
Sanjetti
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know - which i think is disastorous!!!!
I just hope they don't take it too seriously!! I'm in actual fact the opposite - extroverted, OTT, optimistic!!
Oh well, hope my PS, reference, GCSEs and A Levels prove to them that that test result is bogus on my part!:yep:
My friend got the same as you...it's a bit rubbish, so I'd ignore the NCA, just like all the other unis :p:
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
hang on, do uni's actually look at the NCA comment? mine said i'm too much by the laws and may conflict when it comes to protecting the rights of an individual...or something along those lines. overall it didn't seem like a very positive comment. i thought they only looked at your score?
Yeah it can be worrying. I got the opposite I think, apparently I put the needs and rights of individulas above the law, so will I be some sort of maverick doctor? I think interviews will always be given infinitely more weight than NCA when judging someone (I hope anyway!)
Myoclonic Jerk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They don't use the NCA as part of the admissions process, but it's a monitoring thing (basically they're using it for research purposes, to see if your 'personality' correlates with the strength of your degree).
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
They don't use the NCA as part of the admissions process, but it's a monitoring thing (basically they're using it for research purposes, to see if your 'personality' correlates with the strength of your degree).
phew *finally resumes normal breathing rate*
are you certain though?
don't want to get my hopes up to see them crash right in front of me!:yep:
Darkshine
Report 10 years ago
I have a question about the timing in the ukcat. Many people seem to suggest that the UKCAT is built so you don't get through all of it or atleast so most people don't, i wondered wether this was true as it certainly even on paper looking at how much time per question seems tight. Following on from this i was wondering whether its a good idea then at the end of your test to guess the last few questions if you are obviously not going to get through it in time?
Sardine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Darkshine)
I have a question about the timing in the ukcat. Many people seem to suggest that the UKCAT is built so you don't get through all of it or atleast so most people don't, i wondered wether this was true as it certainly even on paper looking at how much time per question seems tight. Following on from this i was wondering whether its a good idea then at the end of your test to guess the last few questions if you are obviously not going to get through it in time?

That was the only thing to do - towards the end of two of the sections (verbal reasoning and numerical) i realised i was running out of time so had no choice BUT to guess. Especially verbal reasoning, it was really tight considering you have to read the passage.. think logically.. then make your decision on the answer. However this is true of doctors too, what if a patient comes in, in a critical condition. Time is of the essence, you have to learn to think under pressure but logically. The ukcat was probably built with this in mind, but the difference being, there's no life at stake (except your own :s)
sd91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got the exact same NCA as medicine man. Im abit disappointed with my score - i got 555 average. Do you guys think this is enouhg for the foundation courses because as far as i know they dont want really high scores but one of my unis ranks people and then selects the top 100 for interview? I did best in the sections i thought i was going to do really bad in.
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sd91)
I got the exact same NCA as medicine man. Im abit disappointed with my score - i got 555 average. Do you guys think this is enouhg for the foundation courses because as far as i know they dont want really high scores but one of my unis ranks people and then selects the top 100 for interview? I did best in the sections i thought i was going to do really bad in.
I hope they see the good side to it - that we don't get tooemotionally involved with patients (to extent that we cry when we can't help them), can make our own decisions, think before we diagnose...yada yada yada
and not asocial, dull or emotionally unaware! - We might be emotionally distant, but not emotionally blocked!
Its bullocks too as previous posts have said! Your score matters more IMO - that alongside your PS, reference.....(we've all read this countless times...) :P
sd91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the nca is complete and utter rubbish - it doesnt match my personality at all. im a bit worried though because it says im emotionally distant but my ps paints another picture lol. the ukcat score is the only problem in my whole application. ive been told my ps is very strong and my reference is very good aswell, i meet and exceed the minimum requirements for the foundation courses so hopefully i should get somewhere with it.
sweetcheeks01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Guys stop worrying. Look!

(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

WTF????
Same as mine but to an extent true, I dont mind working alone if I need to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.89%
No - but I will (6)
3.73%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.17%

Watched Threads