Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So this is the last week of my 3 week Alternative Education Setting placement, in a school I literally had to beg to let me come in, and I've been off for two days with gastroenteritis. I was last ill at 3am and have to go 48 hours clear of vomiting or diarrhoea before I'm allowed back in school. Which takes me to 3am Friday - the school breaks up on Thursday.

I'm worried it will look really bad to the uni that I've had 5 days (I had to take a day off sick in the first week too) but I literally have been ill the whole time :sad:

ReputationRep:
    The first few months of any job/ course are the most challenging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    So this is the last week of my 3 week Alternative Education Setting placement, in a school I literally had to beg to let me come in, and I've been off for two days with gastroenteritis. I was last ill at 3am and have to go 48 hours clear of vomiting or diarrhoea before I'm allowed back in school. Which takes me to 3am Friday - the school breaks up on Thursday.

I'm worried it will look really bad to the uni that I've had 5 days (I had to take a day off sick in the first week too) but I literally have been ill the whole time :sad:
    Don't worry, you can't help being sick and all schools will have the 48 hour rule.

They make themselves Socs very harsh on attendance but this is only to make it clear to people who might skip things without good reason that this is not acceptable. People like you who are actually ill and have no choice will not be penalised.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    It's the laundry that I struggle with keeping up with. I don't do it during the week and then I have a HUGE pile on Saturday and never have enough drying space, let alone with sheets and towels too! I'm on my finally pair of knickers for the week and my daughter has no socks, just put the first load on!
    Tell me about it! I really really need a tumble drier, there's just not time to fit enough in!

How is everyone dealing with visiting schools before applying? There are several jobs I am interested in but I haven't had time to organise a visit. My uni has told us not to take visits during placement time but I know you pretty much have to visit in the schools eyes, plus I want to see the school, so what an I meant to do?! Does anyone visit after the children have left?

Xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Don't worry, you can't help being sick and all schools will have the 48 hour rule.

They make themselves Socs very harsh on attendance but this is only to make it clear to people who might skip things without good reason that this is not acceptable. People like you who are actually ill and have no choice will not be penalised.

Xxx

I rang in sick just before 8am, I hadn't even slept. They want me to go in tomorrow if I feel better, I haven't been ill since 7.30 so if their kids get ill it's not my fault. The woman in the office had that tone of voice where you just know she doesn't believe you I hate calling in sick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I rang in sick just before 8am, I hadn't even slept. They want me to go in tomorrow if I feel better, I haven't been ill since 7.30 so if their kids get ill it's not my fault. The woman in the office had that tone of voice where you just know she doesn't believe you I hate calling in sick...
    Well yeah if you are told to go in and feel you can then do. It's odd they said to though!!!

Nearly everyone gets sick and can't go in at some point on the PGCE... Meeting lots of new kids + not enough sleep + stress mean it's pretty hard to avoid. Especially with this bad bug going round this year. All of my friends have had to take time off at some point including me, even though I've only been sick twice more since I was 11!!

What kind of setting is it?

Xxx

ReputationRep:
    I've been feeling a lot happier so far in my second placement as somehow planning seems to have become a bit more manageable (still time consuming but not utterly soul destroying!). But yesterday somehow everything caught up with me and I had a good cry.

Came back from my 4th job interview still with no job, and just felt really frustrated and fed up as I've spent a lot of time applying, preparing for interview lessons, going to interviews, and it's now a fair way into my Easter holiday and I've not really had a break (and still need to start writing my assignment as well as thinking about lessons for after the holidays).

But today I'm having a big spring clean and which will hopefully clear my mind a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really demoralised about job-hunting too. Had another one that was unsuccessful yesterday, even though there was no negative feedback and I know I impressed them. There was an internal candidate. Getting a job just feels like an impossible dream right now.

ReputationRep:
    Just the first day of the holidays and I'm feeling dead productive, I'm struggling on the job hunting bit too, but i'm planning to get meself sorted over the next week, got an essay to finish b the end of the week and gonna try to get two weeks planning done ahead of schedule. then a week to relax! Keep applying for the jobs! At the end of the day you need to find a school thats really right for you otherwise your NQT year will be that much harder!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I've been feeling a lot happier so far in my second placement as somehow planning seems to have become a bit more manageable (still time consuming but not utterly soul destroying!). But yesterday somehow everything caught up with me and I had a good cry.

Came back from my 4th job interview still with no job, and just felt really frustrated and fed up as I've spent a lot of time applying, preparing for interview lessons, going to interviews, and it's now a fair way into my Easter holiday and I've not really had a break (and still need to start writing my assignment as well as thinking about lessons for after the holidays).

But today I'm having a big spring clean and which will hopefully clear my mind a bit.
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    I'm really demoralised about job-hunting too. Had another one that was unsuccessful yesterday, even though there was no negative feedback and I know I impressed them. There was an internal candidate. Getting a job just feels like an impossible dream right now.
    Remember this is early days for jobs, the ones advertised now are the early birds only. There will be many more to come. There are so many applicants per job at this stage, being unsuccessful doesn't mean you're a bad teacher, just look at them all as practice for the one you do get!

Xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Remember this is early days for jobs, the ones advertised now are the early birds only. There will be many more to come. There are so many applicants outer job at this stage, being unsuccessful doesn't bean you're a bad teacher, just look at them all as practice for the one you do get!

Xxx

I agree. I didn't secure my job until after my PGCE course had finished in late June. I had 4 unsuccessful interviews before I found my job. Make sure to learn something from all of them and take all the positives you can.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hello Easter Holidays you've been a long time coming!

Had interview on Wednesday and managed to get a job - though I think that was largely based on location, I'd applied for a few city based ones and the competition was huge. Applied for a more rural one and the competition was way less, right place at the right time.

Now I just have 2 essays and 5 weeks worth of reflections to write up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Tell me about it! I really really need a tumble drier, there's just not time to fit enough in!

How is everyone dealing with visiting schools before applying? There are several jobs I am interested in but I haven't had time to organise a visit. My uni has told us not to take visits during placement time but I know you pretty much have to visit in the schools eyes, plus I want to see the school, so what an I meant to do?! Does anyone visit after the children have left?

Xxx

I am currently an NQT (permanent post but I got a job somewhere else for September) and I have never visited a school - I don't think a school would dismiss your application just because you didn't visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Well yeah if you are told to go in and feel you can then do. It's odd they said to though!!!

Nearly everyone gets sick and can't go in at some point on the PGCE... Meeting lots of new kids + not enough sleep + stress mean it's pretty hard to avoid. Especially with this bad bug going round this year. All of my friends have had to take time off at some point including me, even though I've only been sick twice more since I was 11!!

What kind of setting is it?

Xxx

It was in a Nursery - I went back yesterday though to find that 3 members of Nursery staff were out because of the same thing I had! I think people who answer the phone in school are just trained to make people feel like crap when they call in sick.

ReputationRep:
    Are any of you teaching languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Are any of you teaching languages?
    Yep, French and Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Yep, French and Spanish.
    Do you mind if I get your opinion on some lesson ideas?

ReputationRep:
    It is a really hard couple of years, but is worth it in the end. Nursing students even work through the summer holidays. Stick with it and good luck with the rest of the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Do you mind if I get your opinion on some lesson ideas?
    No problem - PM me if you like.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone reassure me that I'm not the only person spending nearly their whole Easter holidays working? I'm hoping to get a long weekend off before I go back to School, but apart from that its uni work and lesson planning.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.