University of Leeds Accomodation 2011 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Omiclops
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
Haha Arabian/Arabic girls are hot. Though impossle to get.
Yoruba. My accent is like African mixed with mancunian. Strangest thing ever lol
Apologies I'm not an Arabian girl
Sounds awesome haha I'll probably see you round campus (if I get in) and I'll get to hear it
dmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Omiclops)
Apologies I'm not an Arabian girl
Sounds awesome haha I'll probably see you round campus (if I get in) and I'll get to hear it
hopefully
Atkins92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rachelll=))
Meeee. Hi
I've applied for Oxley too! was quite worried about the distance but i know people who have stayed there last year and they said it was not a problem and they loved being there hopefully will get in!!

Anyone else applied for oxley?
hannserr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who said they were going to Charles Morris Hall? (I'm not sitting and reading through all pages :'))
I'm going into the Dobree and Whetton buildings hopefully, if i get in!
ss1202
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahhh I have no idea which accomodation to apply for at all! Only looked round the ones on campus and then decided I didn't want to be on campus haha.
Definitely want to be self catered, Clarence Dock seems nice with a good price but worried about how expensive the surrounding area will be with it being nearer to the City Centre.
Hadnt really thought about living in/near Headingley before but many say it's much better, Leodis residence is near there right?
Hoping to start A&F course in September, would be good to speak to some people beforehand too!
hannserr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ss1202)
Ahhh I have no idea which accomodation to apply for at all! Only looked round the ones on campus and then decided I didn't want to be on campus haha.
Definitely want to be self catered, Clarence Dock seems nice with a good price but worried about how expensive the surrounding area will be with it being nearer to the City Centre.
Hadnt really thought about living in/near Headingley before but many say it's much better, Leodis residence is near there right?
Hoping to start A&F course in September, would be good to speak to some people beforehand too!
i didn't think i wanted to be on campus first, i just wanted to have the cheapest accommodation as my dad was paying, but it turned out being more expensive to be off campus and to have self catering. i fell in love with clarence dock, it was lovely and very safe, like a little community. but the cost of bus fare and with buses stopping running at a certain time, if you're out on a night you don't want to walk back along the river by yourself. but yeah, it turned out to be less expensive to be on campus? clarence dock is really very nice if you don't want to be on campus though
camillemary
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
applied for lupton, fingers and toes are crossed i get it!
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by accomoffice)
You're very welcome

The catered students get a bit of a subsidy but it's not absolutely enormous (I think they get £9 worth on their card but only pay £8something in their rent). Have a look at the Refresh Card http://www.leeds.ac.uk/catering/ecash.htm

That amount is per term and there are 3 terms so it's a bit more than that. However, I think the £110 is the first term amount, the second term is lower and by the look of this, http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/leed...nt_bus_travel/ the 3rd term is only £75. That's for the bus that goes up to Bodington and Oxley; if you're only going as far as Lupton (or Grayson Heights), it's less (£58 this term, compared with the £75)

That really depends how good a cook you are and how much time you're prepared to spend shopping and preparing food. I think you could live on less than that but it would involve preparing food from scratch rather than buying stuff ready prepared and would probably involve using the markets rather than just going to the local supermarket for your veg.

Some people argue that it's easier on a corridor because there are more people to get to know. Henry Price is flats of 8 or 9, Lyddon has corridors of between 9 and 12 so it's not that different. But usually, you can't get into another flat unless someone lets you in, whereas in Lyddon, you can go to other corridors. To be honest, I'm not sure the actual layout makes that much difference - there are sociable flats and unsociable flats; sociable corridors and unsociable corridors. Although it's nice to be friends with the people you live with, most students make their long-lasting closest friends either from their course mates or from people you meet in societies/sports teams etc.
Thank you so much for your advice, very much appreciate it once again I've chosen my accommodation, and tried to figure out where I could end up if I don't get my first choice.
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannserr)
i didn't think i wanted to be on campus first, i just wanted to have the cheapest accommodation as my dad was paying, but it turned out being more expensive to be off campus and to have self catering. i fell in love with clarence dock, it was lovely and very safe, like a little community. but the cost of bus fare and with buses stopping running at a certain time, if you're out on a night you don't want to walk back along the river by yourself. but yeah, it turned out to be less expensive to be on campus? clarence dock is really very nice if you don't want to be on campus though
I'm sure that's the other way round...i think
hannserr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
I'm sure that's the other way round...i think
nope, when i went to go have a look, the person living in dobree told me their friend was in clarence dock, and told me the amount they paid each semester to get buses to and from campus on a daily basis. i then added that with the amount i'd spend on food, so like £20 a week. and it turned out cheaper to go catered, where you get like £9 a day to spend on food and it's on campus, so there's no need to get buses as you're already on campus. this was only for the older bit of charles morris though, i don't know about the other halls
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
nope, when i went to go have a look, the person living in dobree told me their friend was in clarence dock, and told me the amount they paid each semester to get buses to and from campus on a daily basis. i then added that with the amount i'd spend on food, so like £20 a week. and it turned out cheaper to go catered, where you get like £9 a day to spend on food and it's on campus, so there's no need to get buses as you're already on campus. this was only for the older bit of charles morris though, i don't know about the other halls
that can't be right. I've applied tannery which is 109 a week. Clarence dock is 96. I'm paying £13 more a week (52 a month), bus is less than £50 a months, but lets go with 50. Means mine's £2's more. Assuming they even take the bus. Charles morris is 141-160 a week. And over 1.5k more in a yr
hannserr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
charles morris is £135, and the bus was a lot more expensive than £50, because you've got to get to and from campus, but then you'll also be going into town etc., which i suppose you could walk for, but the figure was like an average that the person gave me. i'm just going on what the person said his friend had said, who was living at charles morris
girlwithsharpteeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
charles morris is £135, and the bus was a lot more expensive than £50, because you've got to get to and from campus, but then you'll also be going into town etc., which i suppose you could walk for, but the figure was like an average that the person gave me. i'm just going on what the person said his friend had said, who was living at charles morris
Clarence Dock or The Tannery are a lot easier to get to town than CM, you could easily walk to town from either of them but might get bus to town from CM. Clarence Dock is about a 30 minute walk to campus (40 if you're a slow walker) but a weekly bus pass is only about £10 and it is cheaper than that if you get a monthly/termly/annual one. Tannery again is an easy enough walk to campus so unless you were feeling pretty lazy/running late/****ty weather you wouldn't need to get the bus most days to either campus or town.
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
Clarence Dock or The Tannery are a lot easier to get to town than CM, you could easily walk to town from either of them but might get bus to town from CM. Clarence Dock is about a 30 minute walk to campus (40 if you're a slow walker) but a weekly bus pass is only about £10 and it is cheaper than that if you get a monthly/termly/annual one. Tannery again is an easy enough walk to campus so unless you were feeling pretty lazy/running late/****ty weather you wouldn't need to get the bus most days to either campus or town.
The closer you are to uni, the more expensive it is! because even the one that's 135 is shared unlike the en suite ones, and Henry price is 1 toilet between too and it's expensive just cos it's on campus, so it's defo better to be off campus in my opnion, other than not having to spend your every waking moment on site
Nicola.Garner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)

Yeah i had a friend who lived on campus, she said she regretted that desicison because she never got any freedom she was always there if you know what i mean, plus there are some great cheap placed to live, like devonshire £86-87 per week 15 minute walk away or if you do want to be dead close montague burton £96-97 per week, 7 minutes away....
dont forget if you live on campus you will need to go to the supermarkets to get your weekly shop because i can imagine the union shop adding up a bit x

(Original post by dmz)
The closer you are to uni, the more expensive it is! because even the one that's 135 is shared unlike the en suite ones, and Henry price is 1 toilet between too and it's expensive just cos it's on campus, so it's defo better to be off campus in my opnion, other than not having to spend your every waking moment on site
two* also reply back to my you go message dude :P x
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nicola.Garner)
Yeah i had a friend who lived on campus, she said she regretted that desicison because she never got any freedom she was always there if you know what i mean, plus there are some great cheap placed to live, like devonshire £86-87 per week 15 minute walk away or if you do want to be dead close montague burton £96-97 per week, 7 minutes away....
dont forget if you live on campus you will need to go to the supermarkets to get your weekly shop because i can imagine the union shop adding up a bit x

just checked, there's nothing
girlwithsharpteeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dmz)

This is basically what I was saying IMO better to be off campus and I was pointing out that it is cheaper, even with travel taken in to account.
sophiasunshine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I will hopefully be a friend at NHC ive applied for a place there x
Sweeeet, not just gonna be me on my tod all year then you feeling confident about getting into Leeds? Actuarial Mathematics sounds very intimidating to me. Though that's probably because I can barely add up without having to count fingers and toes.
Nicola.Garner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
just checked, there's nothing
but i sent you a message :P thats okay ill resend it x
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
but i sent you a message :P thats okay ill resend it x
oh, the one from ages, forgot to reply
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads