Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well yea. they cater but u have to pay. u mean the intercollege halls cater but its included in the fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jilly.0)
    ohmy i never realised there was a singaporean forum. ANYHOO, mite as well start by introducing myself. HIHI im jillian lee and i've been in the uk for near 3 yrs and am doing my a levels here. Will be going to kcl law this yr )
    anyone with qns (about uk and uk living per se..OR EVEN ABOUT ME ) to the best of my ability
    Question about KCL or UK? No. You? YES!

Ive always been curious - what's the most common reason for singaporeans to move to boarding schools in the UK even before their O Levels? Ive seen singaporeans moving to community colleges in singapore so they may transfer their credits into a more reputable uni in the states, but the UK? In my company, there's one guy who left after his sec 3; spent 3 years there and did the UK A Levels. He cite wanting an environment change as a reason for the move, but is it really true? I mean at 15, most of us are even too immature to decide what to do in future, what's more, deciding a move to the UK?:confused:

I still vividly recall that at 15, i was more concerned with the new game patches available than to fret over my future and decide a earth-shattering move overseas for 3 years.!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)

Ive always been curious - what's the most common reason for singaporeans to move to boarding schools in the UK even before their O Levels? Ive seen singaporeans moving to community colleges in singapore so they may transfer their credits into a more reputable uni in the states, but the UK? In my company, there's one guy who left after his sec 3; spent 3 years there and did the UK A Levels. He cite wanting an environment change as a reason for the move, but is it really true? I mean at 15, most of us are even too immature to decide what to do in future, what's more, deciding a move to the UK?:confused:

I still vividly recall that at 15, i was more concerned with the new game patches available than to fret over my future and decide a earth-shattering move overseas for 3 years.!!
    Actually I know of people who move there 3 years prior to the start of university course to do their A-levels or equivalent, so that they can be classified under Settled immigration status, thus allowing them to be labelled as Ordinarily Resident, which in layman's term means that your purpose of moving there has NOT been for full-time education.

Meaning to say that if it wasn't for education, you would still have resided in UK anyway. ie, like Dad move there for work, thus you have to follow and such.

So once you get Settled immigration status or be classed as Ordinarily Resident (residing in UK for non-full-time education purposes), you are eligible to pay Home/EU tuition fees which translates to paying about £3000 to £4000 instead of the International Student fees.

especially beneficial if you intend to pursue medicine there, since med courses for International Student status amounts to £25000+ per academic year. in a way its one way to circumvent the rules, or 'cheat' the system i should say.

ReputationRep:

Maybe your friend was one of those few people mature enough to truly contemplate his future instead of thinking game patches? Haha. 15 years old, a year before the O levels which, arguably, decides your future in results-obsessed Singapore, is an ideal age to plan any move one deems best for him or her to do.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

Wow Yuengs, I see you live on these forums.

p.s. Hi everyone, I've firmed Nott Law. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benchia)
    :eek:

Wow Yuengs, I see you live on these forums.

p.s. Hi everyone, I've firmed Nott Law. :cool:
    hahaha.. yes bench..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psyche87)
    I can't actually completely comment on this as I didn't really look at applying for medicine in Australia, and am fully intending to return to Singapore to practice when I qualify.

I believe they may have changed the criteria/etc for overseas students to remain in the UK (think I read something about that in the last couple of months), but I could be wrong. Although the process around applying for foundation year/etc seems to change quite frequently, so it probably will have changed by the time you need to do this!
    are you on any kind of scholarship? which Uni are you in, btw?

a big draw of australia is that they allow you to stay and work as a physician there, earning more and working less than in Singapore (or so I've heard) + getting PR there.

but UK is reputed to be alot better for medicine, plus you get to tour Europe!

so sort of in a dilemma now, whether to reapply to the UK.

ReputationRep:

why AM i glad to see someone's more interested in me than kcl and uk per se hahah...well...firstly, i have to admit i came here for a levels with two reasons in mind.
    1) im gonna be reading law. its a very uk-based subject. so being here early will make me get used to the life here and also the uk 'system'. making me able to get the knack of things easier
    2) i THOUGHT key word being THOUGHT) it will make me have an edge over other students who have not came over for a levels when it comes to university application. but this reason u can completely ignore cos...well..i got rejected by oxford so there u go.

im gonna be really honest to say some of my friends came over because they couldnt handle the stress in singapore. i am from nanyang girls high and i did not do the o levels and went to hwachong thru the IP programme. so i dont know much about the o level system but the stress in nanyang and hwachong was so immense that some couldnt take it. so that i can completely understand too. As for me, i guess i could handle the stress but i think if i am so sure im gonna be reading law instead of some other courses, and UK is the only place i wanna be since i was in sec 2 , i mite as well come here earlier. true, u do not really know what u want when ur 15 but i guess for my case, i knew where being in nanyang is gonna lead me cos i knew i was gonna go hwachong and one thing that puts me off is that...well im from nanyang primary as well..the near-stagnation of my social circle(since the girls mostly went on to nanyang girls with me andmost of them qualified to go thru IP to hwachong as well) is not something difficult to imagine i guess... yeap.

)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    wait, you meant Strand as in Stamford Street right. cause there's no accommodations at strand campus. the nearest one is Stamford Street. its all en-suite and they are self-catered, with a pay-as-you-eat-refectory if i am not wrong.
    sorry forgot to quote)

well yea. they cater but u have to pay. u mean the intercollege halls cater but its included in the fees?

ReputationRep:
    sorry forgot to quote)

yeap the catered fees are included in the intercoll fees

ReputationRep:
    why AM i glad to see someone's more interested in me than kcl and uk per se hahah...well...firstly, i have to admit i came here for a levels with two reasons in mind.
    1) im gonna be reading law. its a very uk-based subject. so being here early will make me get used to the life here and also the uk 'system'. making me able to get the knack of things easier
    2) i THOUGHT key word being THOUGHT) it will make me have an edge over other students who have not came over for a levels when it comes to university application. but this reason u can completely ignore cos...well..i got rejected by oxford so there u go.

im gonna be really honest to say some of my friends came over because they couldnt handle the stress in singapore. i am from nanyang girls high and i did not do the o levels and went to hwachong thru the IP programme. so i dont know much about the o level system but the stress in nanyang and hwachong was so immense that some couldnt take it. so that i can completely understand too. As for me, i guess i could handle the stress but i think if i am so sure im gonna be reading law instead of some other courses, and UK is the only place i wanna be since i was in sec 2 , i mite as well come here earlier. true, u do not really know what u want when ur 15 but i guess for my case, i knew where being in nanyang is gonna lead me cos i knew i was gonna go hwachong and one thing that puts me off is that...well im from nanyang primary as well..the near-stagnation of my social circle(since the girls mostly went on to nanyang girls with me andmost of them qualified to go thru IP to hwachong as well) is not something difficult to imagine i guess... yeap.

)
    Haha, amazing - someone eager here. Do you intend to return to practice in Singapore anw, since different jurisdiction tend to have slightly different common law, although singapore's common law originate from the UK. And you went over there for the A Levels right? I always thought that hwachong provides one of best support around for overseas apps, thus it's slightly ironic that you went over to get a head start. Of course, with the singapore grounding imbibed in you, i bet you will/have found the UK A Levels a breeze.

Okay some questions about the people there - what do you think about the brits? Any weird antics or that sort of thing?

I can sort of understand your agony of being arnd the same type of people year in, year out.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, amazing - someone eager here. Do you intend to return to practice in Singapore anw, since different jurisdiction tend to have slightly different common law, although singapore's common law originate from the UK. And you went over there for the A Levels right? I always thought that hwachong provides one of best support around for overseas apps, thus it's slightly ironic that you went over to get a head start. Of course, with the singapore grounding imbibed in you, i bet you will/have found the UK A Levels a breeze.

Okay some questions about the people there - what do you think about the brits? Any weird antics or that sort of thing?

I can sort of understand your agony of being arnd the same type of people year in, year out.:yes:
    tbh, no matter how good hwachong is in terms of overseas apps, being in the country u plan to go uni in is definitely a headstart. tts my opinion anyway. and im not here entirely because of uni apps as i mentioned but more of the first reason of getting INTO THE UK SYSTEM. the second reaosn i mentioned was, as i mentioned, something very subjective. My mom for example, till now, still couldnt really get over the fact that i left hwachong for a levels in uk. and since im here, i mite as well justify it.

misconception about the uk a levels, i find my life here tougher than in hwachong? Firstly, ok economics is purely UK and europe based. and everyone here knew about those tax stuff whereby i didnt. (a good supporting example of how coming to uk early helps u in something uk based like law and economics as a tertiary education degree. People who only come during uni will be like me doing uk economics a levels. completely clueless.i just wanna save myself some catching up time). the only definite advantage i have is math. that, i have to admit i can go into the exam hall without revising and still score an A.

the people...well... geez...u have to give me some boundaries here...lol. are u planning to come here to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    yeap the catered fees are included in the intercoll fees
    ooo..ok...hm...ah well i guess location bothers me more than food i guess. i mean we're in the middle of london. food is everywhere darling. tho the cost will be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jspuz)
    I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but from someone who finished my law degree in the UK and loved it, surely you should figure out first whether you are interested in law/medicine/dentistry as a priority? You really aren't going to enjoy any of these subjects if you are just doing them as a fallback choice, because they are a lot narrower in scope (and I would even say dull) than if you do say economics or business.

With regard to the recruiting practices of Singapore law firms, I've been through the system and Notts and LSE/UCL/KCL are probably on the same level. There isn't much difference in prestige; heck, it means nothing even if you have an Oxbridge degree. It's more a personal preference about whether you want to live in London or a campus university. You can still get by on the cheap in London if you look for crappy accomodation.
    hi, you are right in pointing out that I should've figured out what i want to do as a priority. all along i've wanted to do law, but now i have no chance in getting into local law courses, so i'm trying to make the best choices for myself given my circumstances. it's not that i dont know what i want to do the most, but rather what are the best options for me now, that allows me to hopefully be close to my family and give me a respectable degree at the end of 4/5 years. I dont really have a strong desire for business, etc though, because i personally dont prefer degrees that are too broad in scope. =/

anyway, thank you so much for sharing your experiences. i do think that the environment in notts is pretty suitable for me, but i'll still rather stay in sg if i can help it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli18)
    hi, you are right in pointing out that I should've figured out what i want to do as a priority. all along i've wanted to do law, but now i have no chance in getting into local law courses, so i'm trying to make the best choices for myself given my circumstances. it's not that i dont know what i want to do the most, but rather what are the best options for me now, that allows me to hopefully be close to my family and give me a respectable degree at the end of 4/5 years. I dont really have a strong desire for business, etc though, because i personally dont prefer degrees that are too broad in scope. =/

anyway, thank you so much for sharing your experiences. i do think that the environment in notts is pretty suitable for me, but i'll still rather stay in sg if i can help it.
    Heh, I didn't even bother applying to local colleges. Been waiting 21 years for my wonderfully kickass college experience, and I'm vehemently against settling and staying in this comfort zone.

We'll only be away from our families for like 3 years, anyhow. Besides, there's plenty of term breaks to come back and visit.

Nott will be fantastic. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    tbh, no matter how good hwachong is in terms of overseas apps, being in the country u plan to go uni in is definitely a headstart. tts my opinion anyway. and im not here entirely because of uni apps as i mentioned but more of the first reason of getting INTO THE UK SYSTEM. the second reaosn i mentioned was, as i mentioned, something very subjective. My mom for example, till now, still couldnt really get over the fact that i left hwachong for a levels in uk. and since im here, i mite as well justify it.

misconception about the uk a levels, i find my life here tougher than in hwachong? Firstly, ok economics is purely UK and europe based. and everyone here knew about those tax stuff whereby i didnt. (a good supporting example of how coming to uk early helps u in something uk based like law and economics as a tertiary education degree. People who only come during uni will be like me doing uk economics a levels. completely clueless.i just wanna save myself some catching up time). the only definite advantage i have is math. that, i have to admit i can go into the exam hall without revising and still score an A.

the people...well... geez...u have to give me some boundaries here...lol. are u planning to come here to study?
    Like you've said earlier, your life being tougher does not necessarily mean the UK A Level is more rigourous and challenging. It's just that you're not acquainted with the UK and european tax systems, and economic structures. Just a thought here anw.

Hmm, general impression the brits have of yellow-skin asian like ourselves? Any shocking difference in lifestyles? AH, and yes, firmed warwick and popping over in 2011.

ReputationRep:
    Like you've said earlier, your life being tougher does not necessarily mean the UK A Level is more rigourous and challenging. It's just that you're not acquainted with the UK and european tax systems, and economic structures. Just a thought here anw.

Hmm, general impression the brits have of yellow-skin asian like ourselves? Any shocking difference in lifestyles? AH, and yes, firmed warwick and popping over in 2011.
    sorry let me correct myself. i find myself scorin not as well as compared to while i was in hwachong. well unless u think im stupid enough to make that happen then i have nothin much to say. its not just not being acquainted but also the kind of things and essay structures expected in the uk as compared to singapore. singapore is alot of theory while uk is alot of practical application. i'm not particularly good at. so at least to me, uk a levels is harder as far as economics is concerned. and my teachers in england some of them are markers of singapore scripts for a levels and they themselves said that singapore kids are brilliant at theory but when it comes to application we are very weak. so yea i guess what i can say can apply to most singaporeans including myself. also, i brought my work back to ask my hwachong friends during the hols and some, they do know but some qns for like chemistry, even my h3 chemistry friends dont know? im not trying to prove uk's a levels is 10 times harder but because its DIFFERENT there's no basis for comparison. and i rather people settle for that than saying uk's a levels is easier. and tts OBVIOUSLY because it makes me feel like them thinking that way will lead them to thinking me scorin well only means i should cos im doing easier stuff. yeap.

well...the misconception they have doesnt really apply to me. like they will laugh at different accents. like china accent, hongkong accent. they've yet to hear a singapore accent from me so i guess i feign a british one well enough. but the last time when they heard me talking to my s'pore friend on the phone they laughed their heads off cos they didnt expect me to speak english that way. so yea. british people are actually real sweet. and its a big country with loads of asians. so...well its like how there're so many expats in our community that we dont really have a generalisation of them? well at least i dont.

)

ReputationRep:
    sorry let me correct myself. i find myself scorin not as well as compared to while i was in hwachong. well unless u think im stupid enough to make that happen then i have nothin much to say. its not just not being acquainted but also the kind of things and essay structures expected in the uk as compared to singapore. singapore is alot of theory while uk is alot of practical application. i'm not particularly good at. so at least to me, uk a levels is harder as far as economics is concerned. and my teachers in england some of them are markers of singapore scripts for a levels and they themselves said that singapore kids are brilliant at theory but when it comes to application we are very weak. so yea i guess what i can say can apply to most singaporeans including myself. also, i brought my work back to ask my hwachong friends during the hols and some, they do know but some qns for like chemistry, even my h3 chemistry friends dont know? im not trying to prove uk's a levels is 10 times harder but because its DIFFERENT there's no basis for comparison. and i rather people settle for that than saying uk's a levels is easier. and tts OBVIOUSLY because it makes me feel like them thinking that way will lead them to thinking me scorin well only means i should cos im doing easier stuff. yeap.

well...the misconception they have doesnt really apply to me. like they will laugh at different accents. like china accent, hongkong accent. they've yet to hear a singapore accent from me so i guess i feign a british one well enough. but the last time when they heard me talking to my s'pore friend on the phone they laughed their heads off cos they didnt expect me to speak english that way. so yea. british people are actually real sweet. and its a big country with loads of asians. so...well its like how there're so many expats in our community that we dont really have a generalisation of them? well at least i dont.

)
    I'm can't speak from personal experience, having only tried the Singaporean A levels, but I did contemplate doing Sixth Form in the UK. From what I could tell, the syllabus for many subjects objectively speaking were a LOT less than they were in the Singapore system.

I think someone is right in saying it may not be harder, just different in the way of marking. Objectively speaking though in terms of the AMOUNT of content, often the UK syllabus requires less.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about other subjects, but looking at the UK A levels for Mathematics, I think Singapore's is more rigorous. I've looked at some sample papers, and I find the questions there relatively easy, as compared to Singapore's A levels in Mathematics, or Further Mathematics.

Plus, I dislike the fact that they can pick and choose modules unlike SG's, where you just sit two 3x hour papers, and even have resits if they do badly. It kinds of..puts a mockery on the examination of mathematics, where you could simply mug for that module and pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    I'm can't speak from personal experience, having only tried the Singaporean A levels, but I did contemplate doing Sixth Form in the UK. From what I could tell, the syllabus for many subjects objectively speaking were a LOT less than they were in the Singapore system.

I think someone is right in saying it may not be harder, just different in the way of marking. Objectively speaking though in terms of the AMOUNT of content, often the UK syllabus requires less.
    yeap i do agree in terms of depth esp. for sciences and math we dont cover as much. but that doesnt mean for every topic we dont cover more in depth. tts why i said ( no idea why u said someone or did u mean someone else lol) its different instead of which is easier or harder. tho i will concur if anyone was to say the math is really easier.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.