Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedSchool)
    That's my point exactly. I do feel bad. However are you answering the question asked by talking about the exact opposite?
    Somebody put that we were meant to answer about those more important, but I only talked about those less important such as Crooks, Curley's wife and Candy... I did a tiny paragraph on Slim, but I'd already written about him in the previous question so didn't want to repeat myself :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    Thanks love, hopefully we both get A/A* overall, cant wait for AS; No more English, lmao.
    Haha I was actually thinking to do it for a level if I do get an A*!

ReputationRep:
    I got confused with part b for omam aswell,i only wrote about the characters more powerful as i thought the question was asking for that,so i only wrote about curley and not crooks,curley's wife nd lennie

ReputationRep:
    How are those studying the Conflict cluster feeling? I'm hoping for Mametz Wood/Bayonet Charge/Futility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedSchool)
    That's my point exactly. I do feel bad. However are you answering the question asked by talking about the exact opposite?
    Hey guys, I'm in the same boat. I talked about those who had power rather than those who don't. (As I said before, Whilst I think the Inspector Calls question went as I'd hoped, I've started to have some doubts about the Of Mice and Men one!
    For part B of OMAM, I interpreted the question as thought it meant: how does Steinbeck show the people who have authority on the ranch (rather than levels of importance).
    So I ended up discussing Curley and Slim; Curley as he attempts to manifest an illusion of power through wearing "high-heeled boots" etc, and starting fights... and I linked him to 'rugged individualism' and republican policies, Hoover etc.
    Then I contrasted him with Slim and how he is revered on the ranch, and a true leader, and explained that, linking him with Roosevelt and the alphabet agencies...
    It didn't really cross my mind to mention the powerless members like Crooks/Candy etc.!)

I really really hope that this interpretation of the question won't have a considerable toll on the mark :/ :/

ReputationRep:
    For omam, slim stood in the doorway so I said he stands between boundaries so be doesn't really belong anywhere etc and the alternative interpretation is him leading to a successful path does that make sense??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan Mc17)
    Part (a) I put about Atticus = calm confidence: "knows what he was doing" (OWTTE) / intellectual superiority (no one else in court / Scout knows what he's doing)
    Bob Ewell = arrogant confidence = he's white so he knows he's going to win (relate to context of 1930s America) and so he 'struts' around
    Taylor = entertained by the situation = finds comedy in Atticus' superiority and interrogation of Bob Ewell

Part (b) I put the idea that Maycomb can't comprehend why Atticus is defending a black man = extent to which Maycomb is governed by Racism = they will insult Atticus and change their opinions of him just because he thinks differently / loves everybody
    Hypocrisy = they insult / think Atticus is "misguided" but will re-elect him every year
    Ideas of Future Attitudes: Jem = different in his thinking: non-prejudiced + Miss Maudie talks of "baby-step" = Lee presents the idea of a coming change in Maycomb's attitudes and that Maycomb will become more liberal / equal?
    yeah same for some of part (a) i put that the 'about' shows he knows what he's doing and takes control but for Bob is impatient and angry due to the 'red rooster'
    and yeah same for part (b) about the Maycomb is goverened by racism but i backed it up with the fact that AT the trial Mr Dolphus Raymond says to Scout 'you folks won't tell on will you' - then related it to when it says Jem has grown up by 'breaking the remaining code of childhood' but Maycomb hasn't - 'they will never, never understand' then I went into saying Miss Maudies view contrasts this of the 'baby step' do you think that's ok it happened at the trial so techincally she's using the trial to get him to explain, but it isn't specifically the trial?

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about the heirarchy on the ranch but only really mentioned Chapter 4, where all the "weak ones" are there, and explained why each one is seen as less important, and then mentioned how Curley's Wife is still more important than Crooks and quoted her saying she could get him hanged, and that Candy was more important than Curley's Wife because he said how he'd tell. Aasdfasdfg I don't know can we just skip to August 22nd please.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the 2nd Q for crucible? not sure if my interpretation of the Q was right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    Royally ****ed this exam up. I'm absolutely devastated as English Literature is meant to be my best subject :emo:

I picked the beastie question for LOTF - this was an utter joy to write and I feel I did really well here. However, I almost yelped in pain when I saw that Slim was for OMAM - I had prepared more thoroughly for a George or Lennie question. And to top it all off, I didn't finish my OMAM essay - I only made two points

PITY ME, SOMEONE!

Cant have been too bad on Slim? You were only meant to use passage so it could of been completely unseen and shouldn't make a difference. What did you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)
    Haha I was actually thinking to do it for a level if I do get an A*!
    Lool, I will stick to Maths and Physics thank you, English is too much stress

ReputationRep:
    i said something about him and the mules butt , I said it demonstartes how skilled he is , but i also said it could demonstrate that slim is able to make an impact on the ranch without touching or physically harming those on the ranch like curley

its this a stupid comparison?

ReputationRep:
    So nervous about getting results now ran over so much on the first section which meants my omam section was lacking detail and didn't cover half the points i wanted to include ;c

ReputationRep:
    For all those doing Character and Voice - Moon on the tides on Thursday
    What are you're predictions/feelings to the poems that may come up?
    Have a feeling it will be Les Grands Seigneurs or Give which would be great but really hoping its not Casehistory or M.L.D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cycahm)
    For omam, slim stood in the doorway so I said he stands between boundaries so be doesn't really belong anywhere etc and the alternative interpretation is him leading to a successful path does that make sense??
    I wouldn't have said he doesn't belong anywhere because he essentially is the magnet and soul fragment who has a strong presence that gives hope to each and every ranch worker but also maintains a strong balance/control/order in the ranch and everyone seems to like him. And you could rephrase 'him leading to a successful path' to him rejuvenating, replenishing hope into the lives of those tame ranch workers and allowing them to see their goals as potential achievable goals. Additionally, how he is presented as a godly figure who is extremely versatile and fluctuative as he is adept to all situations...Steinbeck reveals no disability/negativity or weakness about Slim suggesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS_Ldn)
    For all those doing Character and Voice - Moon on the tides on Thursday
    What are you're predictions/feelings to the poems that may come up?
    Have a feeling it will be Les Grands Seigneurs or Give which would be great but really hoping its not Casehistory or M.L.D.
    i thought because 'Give' is a foundation poem, it won't appear on higher?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    Lool, I will stick to Maths and Physics thank you, English is too much stress
    Oh I'm terrible in physics but yeh I'm doing maths too and I have my maths igcse tomorrow!! :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    i thought because 'Give' is a foundation poem, it won't appear on higher?:eek:
    and i have a feeling o.o.a.d.m.(lol) + LGS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    High-five! :grin: And ah, that's such a great point! I didn't really prepare so I felt that my points were pretty mediocore :cry2:

Aw :no: I was the same, there were pretty much tears in my eyes when the invigilator announced that the exam had ended. My English teacher gave me a sympathetic pat on the back when I walked out the exam hall, haha. Hopefully the grade boundaries for an A* are pretty low...:unsure:
    What did you write about the beast? I wrote about how it was the cause for the evil on the island (as it was described as snake-like, so biblical references etc), how Jack manipulated the fear of it to gain power, how only Simon knew it was within man but died when trying to tell the boys the truth, and I think something else too.

ReputationRep:
    how much was it last year to get an A anyone know ? ;'D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.