Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmirza1996)
    Had my interview today. I was given a written Maths test. There were a few difficult problems, all based on Calculus. Its good to have a general knowledge of Statistics, but make sure you know optimisation like the back of your hand. They aren't straightforward, so you need to think outside the box. Good luck!
    Any logic questions at all? Was there more integration? I would always imagine it to be an economics context. I think my interview will be slightly different as I have a prep study and around 5-10 minutes for maths problems. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten offers from Bristol & Warwick (A*AA) and Notts (AAA / AABB) . Still waiting for UCL & Durham . An international applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faizal7faudzi)
    I've gotten offers from Bristol & Warwick (A*AA) and Notts (AAA / AABB) . Still waiting for UCL & Durham . An international applicant
    Your stats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Your stats?

Subjects : Econs, Chemistry, Maths , Further Maths (Planning to drop)
    AS Results : ABB
    Predicted : AAAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Any logic questions at all? Was there more integration? I would always imagine it to be an economics context. I think my interview will be slightly different as I have a prep study and around 5-10 minutes for maths problems. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It may be slightly different, but I'm just sharing my experiences. They told me I would have a set of "Maths problems in an Economics context" - and they gave me exactly that. Lots of optimisation (finding maxima etc...). I originally figured that they would give me questions on Marginal analysis, using optimisation to maximise profits or something... But that would be too familiar. The context of the problems I had did not really draw from Economics at all, but the skills you require draw heavily from Mathematical Economics. Hope this helps. Good luck.

EDIT: I had around 30 minutes to complete 2 problems, but I didn't have any other form of prep study. No integration on my paper at all. One of the problems was a variation of an old chestnut, so it may be worth your while to practice some logic problems.

ReputationRep:
    Subjects : Econs, Chemistry, Maths , Further Maths (Planning to drop)
    AS Results : ABB
    Predicted : AAAB
    My results:ABBB
    Predicted:A*AA
    Applying to same universities as you.You give me some hope for Warwick and Bristol!

ReputationRep:
    My results:ABBB
    Predicted:A*AA
    Applying to same universities as you.You give me some hope for Warwick and Bristol!

You'll definitely get them . Warwick replied in 3 days, Bristol in 7 days and Notts in 8 days . All the best!!

ReputationRep:
    You'll definitely get them . Warwick replied in 3 days, Bristol in 7 days and Notts in 8 days . All the best!!
    But don't Warwick/Bristol need at least one A*?

ReputationRep:
    It may be slightly different, but I'm just sharing my experiences. They told me I would have a set of "Maths problems in an Economics context" - and they gave me exactly that. Lots of optimisation (finding maxima etc...). I originally figured that they would give me questions on Marginal analysis, using optimisation to maximise profits or something... But that would be too familiar. The context of the problems I had did not really draw from Economics at all, but the skills you require draw heavily from Mathematical Economics. Hope this helps. Good luck.

EDIT: I had around 30 minutes to complete 2 problems, but I didn't have any other form of prep study. No integration on my paper at all. One of the problems was a variation of an old chestnut, so it may be worth your while to practice some logic problems.
    I'm just trying to think how hard optimisation can get. I've done a lot of work looking at profit/revenue/cost/product functions and finding maxima and things. I have looked at finding demand curves from marginal functions. I will have a look at marginal analysis. Hmm, I'm not too sure.

I just hope there isn't any probability or matrices. I am awful at both! My calculus is quite good so who knows. I struggle finding good/challenging logic questions online to be honest. Not long.. ahh

ReputationRep:
    But don't Warwick/Bristol need at least one A*?

That's what I thought too . Maybe my ps helps in a way . You wanna read my ps?

ReputationRep:
    Yh is there a way to read it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah.97)
    Yh is there a way to read it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can give me your email and i'll send it to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I'm just trying to think how hard optimisation can get. I've done a lot of work looking at profit/revenue/cost/product functions and finding maxima and things. I have looked at finding demand curves from marginal functions. I will have a look at marginal analysis. Hmm, I'm not too sure.

I just hope there isn't any probability or matrices. I am awful at both! My calculus is quite good so who knows. I struggle finding good/challenging logic questions online to be honest. Not long.. ahh
    I found that the actual calculus was not difficult at all - the hardest thing I had to do was differentiate the square root of x, which is of course elementary maths. The hard part is understanding what to do in the context of the problem... It tends to be very abstract.

ReputationRep:
    I found that the actual calculus was not difficult at all - the hardest thing I had to do was differentiate the square root of x, which is of course elementary maths. The hard part is understanding what to do in the context of the problem... It tends to be very abstract.
    As you said, that doesn't sound too hard to do.

I'm all up on C1-4 calculus, this should probably suffice in terms of knowledge I can imagine.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure Churchill would appreciate you not sharing their admissions procedure. It is unfair on students who, like yourself, have done the interview and advantages students yet to interview.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say don't send your PS to anyone on the internet!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so what does everyone believe are the best universities for economics in the world? Regardless of world league tables do you reckon Harvard/Princeton/Stanford are better than the likes of Cambridge/LSE/ Oxford????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economics96)
    Ok so what does everyone believe are the best universities for economics in the world? Regardless of world league tables do you reckon Harvard/Princeton/Stanford are better than the likes of Cambridge/LSE/ Oxford????
    Harvard> Cambridge/lse> Princeton/oxford/Stanford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economics96)
    Depends how you define 'best', as in overall? I cannot answer that question but just through world reputation I'd say these are some of the best if not the best : Harvard, Cambridge, MIT, Stanford, LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    Harvard> Cambridge/lse> Princeton/oxford/Stanford
    Thanks for replying, just out of curiosity what makes Cambridge & LSE that bit better than Princeton and Stanford????

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.