Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have some agency HCA work (and also interviews for permanent NA/HCA roles), but because of DBS etc they wouldn't start before the UCAS deadline. Similarly for voluntary work (just moved home from uni, so need a new DBS for new hospital). Anyone else been in this situation? I only really worry because I want to put it in my application for Cambridge. I understand most of the UKCAT unis don't bother looking at the PS before interview. (Applying to Cambridge, Kings London, Newcastle, Southampton)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    I have some agency HCA work (and also interviews for permanent NA/HCA roles), but because of DBS etc they wouldn't start before the UCAS deadline. Similarly for voluntary work (just moved home from uni, so need a new DBS for new hospital). Anyone else been in this situation? I only really worry because I want to put it in my application for Cambridge. I understand most of the UKCAT unis don't bother looking at the PS before interview. (Applying to Cambridge, Kings London, Newcastle, Southampton)
    Just describe your experiences in the agency work and state that you will be doing HCA work over the next year. I'm sure it will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Any idea if 3 weeks of (good) shadowing pre deadline, and voluntary work weekly starting after the deadline be enough, assuming good UKCAT scores?

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    I am new to this....
    I have always wanted to get into medicine but I was a totally confused individual in college as I did not know what to do, i went to uni and graduated with a 65%+ (2:1) mechanical engineering degree. since graduating in 2013 i have opened my own business and am now fed up of the career choice i am in. i feel like medicine is for me but i have no science related qualification, i found out about this graduate entry medicine course and am thoroughly interested in it but i have no experience and am unsure of what to do.

i would just like some advice on how to prepare myself for this course?

your help will be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willfletcher1)
    Does anyone know if Birmingham only accept a 1st class degree or will they take into account the type of degree/masters if you only have a 2:1?

i believe they require you to have a life science related degree of class 1 or 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just a quick one, if I'm applying to different unis from last year can I use the same personal statement, or is it better to write a new one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itstym)
    hi all,
    I am new to this....
    I have always wanted to get into medicine but I was a totally confused individual in college as I did not know what to do, i went to uni and graduated with a 65%+ (2:1) mechanical engineering degree. since graduating in 2013 i have opened my own business and am now fed up of the career choice i am in. i feel like medicine is for me but i have no science related qualification, i found out about this graduate entry medicine course and am thoroughly interested in it but i have no experience and am unsure of what to do.

i would just like some advice on how to prepare myself for this course?

your help will be much appreciated
    I'd say start by identifying what draws you to medicine, and thoroughly investigate it as a career including lots of hardcore shadowing. Being interested in medicine is one thing; undertaking it as a career is something else entirely. There's a reason the classic interview question is "why medicine?" - it's because it's important! If you've tried multiple other careers and never been satisfied, interviewers will want to know the basis for your belief that this one will be right for you (what was it about engineering and entrepreneurship that you haven't got on with, and how do you know you won't have the same problem with medicine?) It is undoubtedly a fascinating subject but it's also expensive to train and incredibly hard work, so really the best way to prepare is to make sure it really is what you want. Once you're certain of that, the rest will fall into place At least, it did for me!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Guys does any one know if 665 will be enough for kings five year course, I know it's not enough for gem. Any advice on other possible unis much appreciated oh btw 2.1 pharmacy grad here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    Is it necessary to have HCA job to get an interview? I have done volunatry in a hospital, nursing home, various summer schools (including for children with disabilities), homeless shelter, atteneded a full body dissection and now volunteering in an HIV charity. I was not questioning whether that was enough but since this is spread over years, I am feeling maybe it won't be enough? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question.
    Being a HCA is not essential. It's not the amount of work experience but the quality and how you can reflect on the experiences you did have that unis want the most. As long as you have some experience and can reflect well on them then you will be fine, you definitely have enough experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

In need of some advice/help!!

Feeling down that I only got 675 in UKCAT, now not sure what to do, whether to go for the non UKCAT unis (would need to do Chem A Level in a year as I don't have this (have looked up distance learning courses)- but do have 'Chem A Level equivalent' from a specific module at uni - but cant risk them not accepting it.

Is it worth doing the BMAT? or have I left it too late to revise - never even looked at what the BMAT entails.

GCSEs are all A*s and As
    A levels AAA including biology
    BSc Physiology 2:1 from a good uni (67%) - dont know if this would get me into Birmingham

I have a lot of hospital work experience including HCA, volunteering in UK and abroad, etc. so not worried about that part.

pleaseeeeeeeeeee help

thank you very much x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWRC2421)
    Hey

Feeling down that I only got 675 in UKCAT, now not sure what to do, whether to go for the non UKCAT unis (would need to do Chem A Level in a year as I don't have this (have looked up distance learning courses)- but do have 'Chem A Level equivalent' from a specific module at uni - but cant risk them not accepting it.

Is it worth doing the BMAT? or have I left it too late to revise - never even looked at what the BMAT entails.

GCSEs are all A*s and As
    BSc Physiology 2:1 from a good uni (67%) - dont know if this would get me into Birmingham

I have a lot of hospital work experience including HCA, volunteering in UK and abroad, etc. so not worried about that part.

pleaseeeeeeeeeee help

thank you very much x
    Birmingham you need a first! Maybe Bristol for you. Your academics are great and they don't need ukcat! Or 5year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWRC2421)
    Hey

GCSEs are all A*s and As

pleaseeeeeeeeeee help

thank you very much x
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    Birmingham you need a first! Maybe Bristol for you. Your academics are great and they don't need ukcat! Or 5year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure Birmingham may accept some 2.1 degrees, so long as you compensate with higher A Levels (AAA seems fine). They stated this at the open day. They may require a chemistry A Level but not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi! New to the thread, going into my third year of Biomedical Science at Southampton

I was wondering which GEM courses you think it would be best to apply to with a high UKCAT score but limited work experience? And also if non UKCAT unis (Birmingham, Bristol) would be a waste of an application in this case?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone getting on with personal statements and such? I'm finding it really hard to keep under the limit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calmsmile93)
    I'm pretty sure Birmingham may accept some 2.1 degrees, so long as you compensate with higher A Levels (AAA seems fine). They stated this at the open day. They may require a chemistry A Level but not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know for a fact Birmingham want a first. I think if you have 69 or 68 at a push they may look at your other academics. But otherwise you need a first, from past experience of my friends applying with similar academics. But ring them and find out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilithSternin)
    How's everyone getting on with personal statements and such? I'm finding it really hard to keep under the limit!
    I'm okay - I made a list in order of importance of all of my experiences and then wrote as much as I could off the list. Even managed to sneak my University Challenge stuff in at the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPT95)
    Hi! New to the thread, going into my third year of Biomedical Science at Southampton

I was wondering which GEM courses you think it would be best to apply to with a high UKCAT score but limited work experience? And also if non UKCAT unis (Birmingham, Bristol) would be a waste of an application in this case?

Thanks!!
    Hey! I'm a third year biomedical scientist at Southampton too

Kings, Newcastle and Southampton would be good choices if you have a high UKCAT. Warwick require 70 hours of work experience over the last two years so if you have less than that I'd recommend avoiding there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    I'm okay - I made a list in order of importance of all of my experiences and then wrote as much as I could off the list. Even managed to sneak my University Challenge stuff in at the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like the idea of ranking in order of importance before writing, I'll have to try that! Where are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPT95)

Thanks!!
    For Birmingham, you have to have already graduated at the time of application, so you can't apply when in your third year, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilithSternin)
    I like the idea of ranking in order of importance before writing, I'll have to try that! Where are you applying to?
    I did well in my UKCAT (747.5 avg) so I'm going for Newcastle, Southampton, Kings and Barts
    So in my PS, I wrote about caring for my friend with BPD and chronic fatigue, HIV clinic, trolley service on wards, little bit about my dissertation (phosphate levels causing diabetes patients to have a greater incidence of CV disease), society roles (chair of Labour soc, so a lot of talking to people), part time officer at my SU, and then proper extracurriculars like instruments, sports, uni challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.