Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JesusReigns)
    I applied to Kingston last year & got a place. The maths test had a lot of algebra, shapes and percentages. All the best! x
    brill! Thank you! I just need to know exactly what I am revising for! What questions did they ask you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bena0202)
    brill! Thank you! I just need to know exactly what I am revising for! What questions did they ask you ?
    I can't remember the exact questions because it was a year ago, but typical questions came up like 'Why do you want to be a primary school teacher?' The interviewee (who was lovely) had my personal statement in her hands and ask me a question based on something I had written.
    All the best with you interview!

ReputationRep:
    I got a phonecall from Brighton university today and they said that because of the new application process they are going to ring me on monday for a chat and then potentially offer me a place over the phone as they're worried about primary filling up.

Has this happened to anybody else? I'm so nervous I am truly rubbish on the phone and not sure what to be expecting.. eep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayfeb)
    I got a phonecall from Brighton university today and they said that because of the new application process they are going to ring me on monday for a chat and then potentially offer me a place over the phone as they're worried about primary filling up.

Has this happened to anybody else? I'm so nervous I am truly rubbish on the phone and not sure what to be expecting.. eep.
    Yeah but you can read from paper! I would love to have that opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where you can find stockists of TES magazine? My local tesco has now stopped stocking it and I can't find it anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzz!)
    Does anyone know where you can find stockists of TES magazine? My local tesco has now stopped stocking it and I can't find it anywhere!
    My local Morrison's stock it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzz!)
    I read it on line 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bena0202)
    Oh brill! What kind of questions were in the maths test and what questions did they ask? And also how many people were there?
    When I got offered an interview, they sent along a maths paper example - it was pretty much exactly as they had suggested, but just like double the length, maybe 25 questions in total... it included things like fractions, percentages, volume, working out angles, and finding the time that a train would arrive at a platform if it left at a time and so many minutes... basic maths really, at my interview a few people seemed to struggle with a ratio question though - we were given a question like a town measures 8cm on a map, if the map is 1:2000000 then how many km is the length of the town...

There were 10 of us on my day, but they said that the next week there was about 30 coming... so I suppose it varies quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayfeb)

Consider it this way... for them to phone you and be worried about filling up, they obviously want you, and you obviously stand out to them as someone who they want to offer a place to. It will be different to a normal interview, but so long as you can stay calm and not pause or "errrm" too much then you will be fine!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm teaching abroad at the moment and won't be back until march. I'm in the middle of applying for primary and will be doing my school experience in march too. I'm pretty worried about my application though, I know how competitive it is and I'm restricted by my current circumstances. I also think that teaching abroad isn't really seen as proper teaching experience but I'm hoping it will help my case. Does any have any experience of this kind of situation or know anyone that does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyQ)
    Hi guys, I'm teaching abroad at the moment and won't be back until march. I'm in the middle of applying for primary and will be doing my school experience in march too. I'm pretty worried about my application though, I know how competitive it is and I'm restricted by my current circumstances. I also think that teaching abroad isn't really seen as proper teaching experience but I'm hoping it will help my case. Does any have any experience of this kind of situation or know anyone that does?
    Hi there. I am currently teaching English as a second language in Barcelona and am now in the middle of flying back and forth for interviews for secondary English, school direct. Interviews are going well so far!

I assume you are also teaching ESL? I would say your experience is 100% relevant and will actually be a bonus. It is a shame that you feel like it is not proper teaching, and that attitude is indicative of the lack of respect, decent pay and professionalism under which lots of ESL teachers work!

You will already know your way around a classroom. You should know a bit about planning, what elements make for a successful lesson. You will know something about that magic which happens in an environment of shared learning. You will know how to interact, encourage, push people into achieving. You will hopefully already be thinking about issues such as inclusion in your classroom. I'm sure you are also creative!

In my case I teach and examine Cambridge exams, more academic side of things so this has been something I have emphasised.

Also, remember that most schools now have EAL needs and that grammar is becoming increasingly important, so understanding of grammar issues will help.

So come on, big yourself up more and do it!

If you have any questions just give us a shout as I know it can be a complicated process applying from overseas.

Off to Gatwick now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MandaTreb)
    When I got offered an interview, they sent along a maths paper example - it was pretty much exactly as they had suggested, but just like double the length, maybe 25 questions in total... it included things like fractions, percentages, volume, working out angles, and finding the time that a train would arrive at a platform if it left at a time and so many minutes... basic maths really, at my interview a few people seemed to struggle with a ratio question though - we were given a question like a town measures 8cm on a map, if the map is 1:2000000 then how many km is the length of the town...

There were 10 of us on my day, but they said that the next week there was about 30 coming... so I suppose it varies quite a bit.
    Thank you! They didnt send me an example! Can I PM you my email address and may you send the example if possible?

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think are the educational news topics likely to come up at secondary interviews?

So far I'm thinking:

GCSE and A Level reforms
    EBacc
    Removal of levels at KS3? (Not sure how widely used they are anyway and most articles focus on primary)
    Inclusion (I don't fully understand this topic yet tbh)

I'm sure I'm missing a few though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    What do you guys think are the educational news topics likely to come up at secondary interviews?

So far I'm thinking:

GCSE and A Level reforms
    EBacc
    Removal of levels at KS3? (Not sure how widely used they are anyway and most articles focus on primary)
    Inclusion (I don't fully understand this topic yet tbh)

I'm sure I'm missing a few though...
    Extremism in schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Extremism in schools.
    Ah true.

That's a subject I'd rather avoid though to be honest as I think it can lead to very murky territory and potentially huge disagreements with the interviewers. Depending on their leanings, it can be a very contraversial and politicised topic.

I'll still read some TES articles on it anyway and hope that my interviewers are nice people. I'm a bit wary given the reputation my subject tends to have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    Ah true.

That's a subject I'd rather avoid though to be honest as I think it can lead to very murky territory and potentially huge disagreements with the interviewers. Depending on their leanings, it can be a very contraversial and politicised topic.

I'll still read some TES articles on it anyway and hope that my interviewers are nice people. I'm a bit wary given the reputation my subject tends to have!
    Someone got asked how they would approach exetremeism in schools at Durham last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Someone got asked how they would approach exetremeism in schools at Durham last year.
    Oh man, I'm not sure what I'd say other than following the school's policy!

Does anyone else feel like preparing for these interviews is a full time job? The amount of translation I'm doing today far outweighs the amount I did each week when I was actually taking modules in the language! And then there's reading up on education news, re-reading classroom notes and my application, preparing mini-lessons and presentations etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martyncooper)
    Hi there. I am currently teaching English as a second language in Barcelona and am now in the middle of flying back and forth for interviews for secondary English, school direct. Interviews are going well so far!

I assume you are also teaching ESL? I would say your experience is 100% relevant and will actually be a bonus. It is a shame that you feel like it is not proper teaching, and that attitude is indicative of the lack of respect, decent pay and professionalism under which lots of ESL teachers work!

You will already know your way around a classroom. You should know a bit about planning, what elements make for a successful lesson. You will know something about that magic which happens in an environment of shared learning. You will know how to interact, encourage, push people into achieving. You will hopefully already be thinking about issues such as inclusion in your classroom. I'm sure you are also creative!

In my case I teach and examine Cambridge exams, more academic side of things so this has been something I have emphasised.

Also, remember that most schools now have EAL needs and that grammar is becoming increasingly important, so understanding of grammar issues will help.

So come on, big yourself up more and do it!

If you have any questions just give us a shout as I know it can be a complicated process applying from overseas.

Off to Gatwick now!
    Yes I'm teaching at a primary school in Thailand. I think personally I feel like I am teaching, I just have heard opinions and views that don't give ESL teachers the credit, like you said.
    I think my problem is also that it's unlikely that I'll be able to fly back for interviews until I leave in March, which puts me at a disadvantage I think. Where did you apply? Do you have a lot of UK school experience? I definitely won't be able to complete work experience until March either. Maybe if I did get an interview and managed to fly back for it it would be conditional on me completing the work experience when I get back. I don't know though, I am seeing more about how quickly the spaces are being filled... Did you speak a lot about your experience in Barcelona in your personal statement?
    You're right though, I do need to just get on and do it! Thankyou for your help and encouragement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sekonda)
    Hey,

Does anyone know how competitive and quickly English PGCE courses fill up? In particular the English PGCE offered by IOE (Institute of Education)?

My referee hasn't submitted the reference for over a month now... and they've contacted me to say "they will"...

Thanks,
    SK
    Not to make you panic, but my friend has applied for Secondary English PGCE and had to change every one of his choices because they were all full, and then the ones he'd picked as a back up had two of the three full as well.

It's a really competitive one I think, so maybe try and push your reference along a bit, or contact the universities asking if they've got the email off the government about being 90% full etc yet?

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else doing Primary PGCE at Durham next year?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.